Power Clean From Hang Form Check

The two mistakes I see:

1. Pulled too early.
  2. Landed slightly on toes instead of heels.

Banging the bar with your thighs, causing the bar to go out in front of you rather than up. That’s what causes you to jump forward and land on your heels. The bar looks like it moves too far away from you on the hang. It should stay very, very close to you. The bar should just brush your thighs, not bump, bounce, or bang off of them.

I think I improved keeping the bar close, still pulling early with the arms.

Definite improvement! How long you been lifting? Keep shoulders over the bar throughout pull and elbows turned out/pronated. Try rdls and good mornings.

Might want to reduce the weight too and focus on form eg 5 sets of 3, consistent/same weight.

[quote]Charlietr wrote:
Definite improvement! How long you been lifting? Keep shoulders over the bar throughout pull and elbows turned out/pronated. Try rdls and good mornings.[/quote]

2 years of general strength training. I have never trained cleans consistently and just started doing hang cleans. I incorporate RDLS into my routine.

My squat day goes:

WK1   WK2  WK3  WK4

Back Squat 3-5x5 6x3 8x2 10x1
Cleans 5x3
Front Squat Ramp up to max triple
RDL 3x15-20

A typical/effective olympic lifting programme is lift, pull and squat most sessions eg alternating between snatch, snatch pull, front squat and clean and jerk, clean pull, back squat; using linear or non linear periodization. Eg typically doing 1-5 reps, several working sets, 80%+, 3-5 minutes rest between working sets. The rdl reps are too high ie you can’t handle enough weight to benefit strength/power and carryover to your main lifts/positioning.

I am not an Olympic Weightlifter. I do Power Cleans for dynamic work and to improve explosiveness. RDLs are not done to carryover over for cleans. I do them to strengthen hamstrings. I would do clean pulls if I wanted to do something to specifically improve my cleans.

Your cleans should still be before your squats. This serves 2 purposes: you’ll, by nature of the lift, use less weight for cleans and thus still be able to have a good squat session afterwards. Not everyone is like this but this is how most people structure workouts that include both cleans/snatches/squats. And secondly: the explosive nature serves as a “primer” for your CNS and should allow you to be more explosive and strong during your squats.

Also, why do you have a heavy back squat followed by ramping up to a max triple in the front squat? I don’t see any assistance work other than the RDLs.

There’s nothing else I can do for leg assistance that I know. The leg press available is a machine and even the max weight on it is warm up weight. Leg extensions destroy my knees.

I’m just going back to 5/3/1 (with an extra day for front squats only). It will go Squat - OHP - FS - BP - Deadlift. 10x2 on Power Cleans on squat days. RDLs for assistance. Maybe Seated Good Mornings as well, but between beltless squats and cleans my lower back is usually fried. Why strain it more?

Assistance could be paused squats, dead lifts, speed squats, sldl, hip thrusts, glute bridges, good mornings, reverse hypers, glute hams.

But my question was why are you doing 2 max effort squats on the same day.

Also: weight lifters do some volume posterior chain work (usually hyper extensions) every workout at my club. Just 3x10. BW if it’s a tough workout. Add some weight if the volume was lower

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Assistance could be paused squats, dead lifts, speed squats, sldl, hip thrusts, glute bridges, good mornings, reverse hypers, glute hams.

But my question was why are you doing 2 max effort squats on the same day.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m going to being doing paused squats, it’s built into the program. It’s not even 2 max effort squats. Beltless squats are limited by core strength, that fails me first. I wouldn’t call a triple ME either, I self regulate and stop before failure. It’s just a ramped up triple that I stopped once it got grindy just to keep me accustomed to front squatting.

Beyond 5/3/1 programming goes

set 1
set 2
PR set
Joker Set (auto regulated)
3 sets of 3-5 pause reps at set 1’s weight

You don’t HAVE to do all of that. You can choose to do jokers OR FSL, both, or neither.

I won’t argue the definition of what max effort means, but I was under the impression that just because you use a variation that allows you to use less or more weight doesn’t make it any less of a max effort. I mean, there’s no way to use the same weight on deficit pulls as normal deads, but your limit weight is still a max effort. . .

either way, you said 10x2 power cleans on squat days. How difficult is that going to be? Are you going to be using them as a Primer/warm-up, or will you be training them hard?

Last time I ran 5/3/1 my squat made very little progress and all other lifts went up while cutting weight. Simply put, I think I need the additional volume on the squat. I don’t have the greatest build for it. Bench Press and Overhead Press increase okay for me and my deadlift always shoots up when I actually bother to train it hard.

I’ll always be doing the pause squats. Joker sets just depend on how easy the last set is and I will be following the instructions to cap max reps on the PR set at 10/8/5.

I will be training power cleans hard and I think for now I will be able to because my grip feels like the limiting factor. I’m considering using them as a warm up. I’ll see how that goes over the first 3-6 weeks since the first 2 cycles are with very light squat weights. If I am recovering well enough to squat decently after the Power Cleans I’ll do Power Cleans - Squat - Pause Squats - any additional assistance. I don’t plan on doing leg assistance on my Front Squat day, only on the Back Squat and Deadlift days. I will be doing some high rep (8-10) sets of back squats on Deadlift days for assistance.

Right now it will be:

Power Clean
Back Squat/Front Squat
Joker Sets
Pause Squats
RDLs 30 reps
Good Mornings 30 Reps

Deficit Deadlifts
Deadlift PR set
Joker Sets
Deficit Deadlifts
Back Squat 30 reps
Good Mornings 30 reps

I think that’s plenty for a couple months.

Grip should not be a limiting factor on power cleans, are you using a hookgrip?

Not to be a dick as I am certainly new to olympic lifting, but there is a lot telling people what you’re going to do and what is wrong for a post titled “form check.”

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
Grip should not be a limiting factor on power cleans, are you using a hookgrip?[/quote]

Yes and I have started using chalk once I go over 200 lbs. I’ve since done 210 for a double and I’ve pulled 220 from the hang high enough and 225 from the floor high enough to power clean, but didn’t get under either one fast enough.

My best hook grip deadlift is 60lbs under my best deadlift and I used chalk for the hook grip one, but not for the over/under. It’s a limiting factor to some extent, but it is mainly due to a mental block once the bar starts feeling heavy and fatigue sets in in my forearms. I’ve managed to get over the mental part for the most part.

A couple months ago I was struggling to do 175x3 because my grip felt so weak. Now (despite losing a month to vacation and flu) I’ve managed to easily crush that and increase my power clean by a good 20 lbs.

[quote]stephen.gary11 wrote:
Not to be a dick as I am certainly new to olympic lifting, but there is a lot telling people what you’re going to do and what is wrong for a post titled “form check.”[/quote]

You made an account just to post this? Pretty sure that qualifies as dick status.

Finally hit 100kg from hang, for a double no less. 10 lb/4kg PR

Well done. rdls will help your technique if done strictly with reasonable reps, sets, weight. Sldl/gm will help hams, rdl is more technical. Hook grip is key for heavy lifts, plenty of pulls with straps will help too eg 5 sets of 3 at 110-120%.