Power Clean Form Help

I recently started trying some complexies - clean to front squat to push press. My question is: is it normal that my wrists are taking a lot of weight when i ‘catch’ the barbell, before it rolls to my fingers? if not, it almost seems like i would have to catch the weight with my shoulders…?

I guess i am asking is it normal that you experience some sort of stiffness in your wrist in the beginning stages of these exercises? My wrist isn’t sore after the exercise, its during the exercise that i feel stiffness and soreness that limits my ability to continue with the rest of the complexies, into the push press. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

It’s normal to feel some stiffness, but not good. Most people just have poor wrist flexibility/poor wrist extensor strength. Try stretching your wrists and doing some “reverse” wrist curls and see if the problem doesn’t go away.

The alternative would be you’re not catching the bar with elbows high enough and thus putting too much of the weight on your wrists.

Can you post a video of your form anywhere like putfile? Visuals help a lot in identifying problems.

Have a good one,

-Dan

[quote]SilentQuest wrote:
I recently started trying some complexies - clean to front squat to push press. My question is: is it normal that my wrists are taking a lot of weight when i ‘catch’ the barbell, before it rolls to my fingers? if not, it almost seems like i would have to catch the weight with my shoulders…?

I guess i am asking is it normal that you experience some sort of stiffness in your wrist in the beginning stages of these exercises? My wrist isn’t sore after the exercise, its during the exercise that i feel stiffness and soreness that limits my ability to continue with the rest of the complexies, into the push press. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.[/quote]

Sounds like instead of catching it on the clavicles, you are catching it in a position like you are about to do military presses. Practice front squatting with your elbows up. This makes it a lot easier. Most people do them with the elbows a little below parallel.

Also, you know you have the front squat positioning right when you can do them without holding the bar, and your arms straight out in front of you (think of a zombie). You’d better start with the bar on this one.

[/quote]Sounds like instead of catching it on the clavicles, you are catching it in a position like you are about to do military presses. Practice front squatting with your elbows up. This makes it a lot easier. Most people do them with the elbows a little below parallel.

Also, you know you have the front squat positioning right when you can do them without holding the bar, and your arms straight out in front of you (think of a zombie). You’d better start with the bar on this one.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply - i think you’re right; i think i am catching it at military press position. When i do front squat, i can do it in a good form, even w/o holding the bar as you’ve suggested. but when i do cleans, if i catch it w/ my elbows up as if i am about to do a front squat, it feels like i would catch it w/ my shoulders instead; or it feels like the bar would run into my chin, as higher my elbow gets… shell I tilt my head slightly backwards?

buffulokillas - sorry, wont be able to post video…

thanks again for your help guys.