Power Clean Form Help

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my powerclean technique.

powerclean set 1

powerclean set 2

powerclean set 3

powerclean set 4

Slowed down powercleans: - YouTube

Issues I can see which need resolving:

1. Soft back, potentially fixed by using full sized plates or valsvalva or just altering my start position
  2. Shoulders look to be a little far over the bar, maybe I read shoulders over the bar and unintentionally shoved them too far forewards
  3. Hips not exploding through as far as they can go

and my arms felt a little tender the day after just where the bicep joins at your elbow, is that caused by not being used to cleans or not having straight arms?

Thanks

You’re right your back isn’t straight and it gets even rounder when you start the pull. Could be a strength issue or a flexibility one. Really focus on this one because this is what will get you injured.

You shoulders SHOULD be over the bar. This is not a deadlift, it’s a clean, two different techniques.

As for hips, it might help to strengthen your technique if your start your cleans from the hang for a while. Really focus on getting a stretch in your hamstrings just before the 2nd pull. You have to use this stretch reflex to generate power. And really HUMP that bar HARD when you jump while extending your toes and throwing your shoulders back. Throwing your shoulders back will really help finish the movement so you wont land on your toes and fall forward.

Right, the clean at the start of the 3rd video where I lower the bar to the floor. Is that a better starting position? Ill get back to hang cleans and feel what you mean by the stretch reflex. And for the back, do I need my hips lower or just to tighten up more (Im not sure I was breathing properly)? Thanks

judging from your name you’re from wichita (or really like sleepy towns in texas). if that’s the case, there is a pretty damn good resource down there that 99% of us do not have access to. why not just stop by and get some real coaching?

[quote]pedro juarez wrote:
judging from your name you’re from wichita (or really like sleepy towns in texas). if that’s the case, there is a pretty damn good resource down there that 99% of us do not have access to. why not just stop by and get some real coaching?[/quote]

Was born there (yes I know its spelt wrong, its intentional) but dont live there anymore. Im stuck in North England near Hull and cant find any coaches or even a gym with a proper lifting platform/bumper plates. Hoping theres something in Birmingham when I go to university this year. I was looking around for more resources on it and found this website which seems to have the most knowledgeable and helpful people Iv seen on the net so signed up and got a log started.

Oh, and I assume you mean Wichita Falls? Thats in Texas, Wichita is in Kansas

Call up these peeps for OL in northern England, they can probably hook you up or point you to places near your location. Koing posts here and hes a Brit, so he may have suggestions as well.

Thanks alot, Ill get onto them. The only problem being I cant drive so its got to be accessable by train or fairly close.

gotcha, lots of folks just call it wichita but no worries. moving to full size plates will help with the back rounding, and if you aren’t using them try putting plates down as a base. also, personally, doing single arm dumbbell cleans have really helped my power clean technique. the pc motion seemed very unnatural to me when i started and after doing the cleans for a couple weeks it came together pretty well. good luck.

Slow down the first pull and get yourself in proper position. This isn’t 160kg you are trying to clean, so take your time to get in position and then drive your hips through. As you get better and more efficient you can rip it right off the ground if you so choose.

Just remember the power comes from the second pull, not the first.

Went back to practice hang cleans, initially was letting the bar too far down my legs but I think Im getting the hip drive a bit more now. Going to stick to these for a while, until its alot smoother and more precise. Still think Im letting the bar slide too far down though, Videos: