Power Clean Form Check

I have used power cleans with lower weight for a while not focusing on form at all. it was used in some complexes and for cardio and such. Over the last few months I have tried to really focus on the technique. Let me know what you think…

Not bad, lines pretty good.

But your arms too much. Your rack (when your arms turn over to rack the bar) is slow. Too much arms. The bar should have upwards momentum from your hips and legs in the 2nd pull.

You don’t reverse direction to catch the bar in a 1/4 squat.

Little bro:

See how fast his elbows whip through? This is because he isn’t pulling the bar with his arms so they are free to rotate faster. Have someone hold your hand down now try and move your arms. It’s hard.

See how fast his hips drive UP? This is where all of the power comes from, hips and legs.

You probably have a strong DL as you move the bar relatively fast off the floor.

Keep your head looking forwards, your head is pointing down too much.

Doesn’t look too bad overall!

Do it with say 50-70-80kg and make it FAST. You will never lift big weights moving them slowly. When you can make say 80kg fast you will crush all over 100kg and bigger later on. Bro PC 30kg over bw in the video at 17.

Koing

Koing

Thanks for the critique! I am pleased with myself that, as you state, my lines look good. I love to self teach and know that it is very hard when it comes to such a technical lift like these. I have videos of all the sets from light weight to 245x1. I posted the 205x3 because I felt that was the last set before I started to get a little sloppy. Even with 135 my elbows come under at the same speed so that tells me it is just a technique thing as opposed to a strength thing. I will focus on the speed of that with the lighter load as suggested. Thanks again!

[quote]Mateus wrote:
Thanks for the critique! I am pleased with myself that, as you state, my lines look good. I love to self teach and know that it is very hard when it comes to such a technical lift like these. I have videos of all the sets from light weight to 245x1. I posted the 205x3 because I felt that was the last set before I started to get a little sloppy. Even with 135 my elbows come under at the same speed so that tells me it is just a technique thing as opposed to a strength thing. I will focus on the speed of that with the lighter load as suggested. Thanks again![/quote]

Agree with koing. Good lines overall. I’d say focus on mobility/flexibility of your shoulders, rotator cuffs, elbows, everything to get more looseness in your elbows at the rack position. The more “loose” they feel in that position the faster they can achieve it (you can only stretch to your limit in say, the sit and reach, slowly. But you can reach a “comfortable” reaching stretch very quickly).

But yes, definitely have to lessen tension in your arms while executing the lift to allow them to whip faster (what koing said, separate from mobility issues).

I would work on your second pull too. Your hips don’t seem to be generate enough power and as a result you are probably being tempted to utilize your arms in the pull, putting tension there and slowing the whip around as a result. You’re obviously strong enough to do the weight, but the momentum isn’t being imparted to the bar. The hip extension and recoil should be like a gunshot: fast and immediate. Watch some videos of high level lifters doing it. Think of a good jab in boxing–you never let the jab hang out there, you whip it out and back in fast. Same thing in the hip extension: one very fast violent extension followed by quick recoil back to a stable receiving position.