Power Clean for Powerlifters

I was wondering if the power clean is a movement with great carryover to the powerlifting sport or if it is a distraction from the main movements?
Wendler obvously advice to do it first in the program, and he even answers question about them in he powerlifting book, but it seem unclear to me wether he advice them for powerlifters or that he simply advice jumps and throws prior to lifting. I love the movement, but I am more concerned at being strong for my new sport.

And for Jim Wendler: Thanks for putting my head straight in the latter topic and making me think a little instead of just throwing the answer at me. I’ve been making great strength gains since.

Obviosuly I know about the anatomy and biomechanics of the lift, but I’d rather hear some experience.

Minimal carryover in my experience . For me a better SBD 1RM came from a linear progression 12-18 weeks of increasing SBD. Decrease the volume ,increase the intensity and try to peak without burning out.

Thanks for the reply!

There is a huge carryover for a beginner or weaker lifter. For a more advanced lifter with decades under his belt, probably not.

Build a big toolbox - limiting it in hopes of specialization will retard your long term progress.

Thanks for you thorough answer Jim! I’ve been doing it since forever, but ever since I started training specific for powerlifting I wanted to maximize my training economy, and learn from experienced powerlifters. Would you consider a 407 squat, 330 bench, 541 deadlift, 210 press, 265 power clean someone who would benefit from doing power cleans?
You are true about the long term progress. I haven’t thought of that! I guess it’s like looking at someone like weightlifters and their strength?
I might aswell continue to do it just in hopes of bigger traps.

I love the toolbox idea! Point taken.

You will have to make a judgement call on this one - is doing the PC and raising it complimentary to what you are doing and will it take away from anything else you need to do?

I’m a big believer in big, basic movements peppered with bodyweight assistance work (also done with weight) and rows: dips, push-ups, chins, sit-ups (and all ab work) and back raises. So if you can fit in PC and still do the other stuff, go for it.

1 Like

I appriciate your time and view on this Jim! I’ll use my best jugdement on this!

I’m a big believer in you and your training methods. I try to both learn from this and stay as true to it as possible.