Power Clean For Athletic Power

Hi. I want to ask for members’ criticism on my power clean form. My main goal for incorporating this lift is to increase my power output relative to my strength for sports purposes, and not as a bridge to other olympic lifts. Been teaching myself using Mark Rippetoe’s videos.

I’m thinking I bend my elbows too early, but I’m not sure. Thanks for the help.

Note: Slo mo, second rep at 1:20

[quote]oscammell wrote:
Hi. I want to ask for members’ criticism on my power clean form. My main goal for incorporating this lift is to increase my power output relative to my strength for sports purposes, and not as a bridge to other olympic lifts. Been teaching myself using Mark Rippetoe’s videos.

I’m thinking I bend my elbows too early, but I’m not sure. Thanks for the help.

Note: Slo mo, second rep at 1:20

You’re a hair early on the pull, but for your goals you are easily adequate. 175 didn’t look like it’s enough weight to really show where your technique breakdowns will be. Try something at 90% of max if you want real adjustments.

However, if you’re only concerned about power, no need to adjust. Better technique will just make it easier, you’ll have to add more weight but you didn’t get stronger. It’s 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Also, he 2nd rep is at 1:40. You tricked me into 20 seconds of you screwing with your shorts. Very tricky.

Hey so a few things I believe in as far as power cleans go. So some background…I learned to clean from an olympic shot putter who happened to be my coach in high school. If you want explosive power separate your clean from the floor and go hanging cleans…use straps. Thats it. You want to generate that explosion with your hips, think about what you look like at full extension it’s the exact same position you are in when you dunk a basketball or push off the blocks in track. Emulating this aspect of the power clean is what develops explosive power.

There’s not a damn thing wrong with your power clean, but power cleans go together with the clean and press like ham and eggs. Do them together! Here is a video of me doing what I recommend a few months ago at 66 years of age. I am a former AAU Olympic lifter and professional trainer.

How can I learn to catch the barbell properly? I definitely have some trouble with that. Right now I can catch it with my hands, but I understand that won’t get me very far when I start adding weight.

So apart from repeating that movement until I want to cry (which I’m not opposed to)… Any helpful tips?

You’re not really using your legs at all.

Your power cleans look like mine used too - basically not going to full hip extension and therefore pulling with the back and arms, rather than the glutes.

[Secondly, there’s a statue with tiny legs in the background - disconcerting!]

It looks like a romanian deadlift. I wonder if that would work if geared olympic lifting ever existed.

You triple extend well, but you need to shoot the hips through. That is where a majority of your power is going to come from. If you would look at the top weightlifters in Europe and China, you will see how the attack the bar with their hips. Also you may want to work on some more mobility work with the front rack position, as well as focus on getting the elbows up as soon as the bar reaches the shoulders.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
It looks like a romanian deadlift. I wonder if that would work if geared olympic lifting ever existed.[/quote]
Doubtful, assuming by geared you’re referring to wraps/suits/briefs/etc. What you gain in concentric strength you lose in eccentric speed, and getting under the bar is just as important at the elite level as getting bar height. Probably why you don’t see too many elite lifters wearing the thicker knee wraps although I think they’re legal in competition; don’t quote me on that though, I haven’t checked the rules in a while.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:
It looks like a romanian deadlift. I wonder if that would work if geared olympic lifting ever existed.[/quote]
Doubtful, assuming by geared you’re referring to wraps/suits/briefs/etc. What you gain in concentric strength you lose in eccentric speed, and getting under the bar is just as important at the elite level as getting bar height. Probably why you don’t see too many elite lifters wearing the thicker knee wraps although I think they’re legal in competition; don’t quote me on that though, I haven’t checked the rules in a while.[/quote]

That makes sense. No wonder it never became a thing. Thanks for the response.