Power Clean and Press Bain?

I’m just starting Starting Strength, and I hope to make 5 pound increases every workout for my squat, deadlift, and bench, and that may be possible for a couple weeks, but the Press and the Power Clean probably won’t be able to go up that fast. How should I progress them?

Should I add weight the next time I do them if I can do 3x5, but keep the weight the same if I fail to get all 5 reps? This would go for the squat, deadlift, and bench too when I start having problems with those. So heres an example:

PC Day 1:
3x5 115

Day 2:
2x5 120
1x3 120

^If that is what happens for any of my lifts, do I stay at 120 the next time and go for all 3x5?

Edit: I mean the Press and Power Clean as 2 different lifts. My mistake.

If u can add weight for even only one set, your still progressing.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I start having problems with those. So heres an example:

PC Day 1:
3x5 115

Day 2:
2x5 120
1x3 120

^If that is what happens for any of my lifts, do I stay at 120 the next time and go for all 3x5?[/quote]

Try the same weight again. If you can’t get 3x5, drop the weight to 90%, and work up from there.

I think the general consensus is that in order to move up weight in either 5x5 or SS programs (excl WS4SB ) is that all the weight must be completed.

If I were in your situation and I could only do 3 reps in my last set instead of five, I would take the same allocated break again then try again. If I fail I would stop there and keep the weight the same for the next workout.

A 5lbs increase is reasonable when starting for PC&P. Remember to tense your glutes(bum) it will stop your back from over arching when pressing.

Remember the PC&P is a lot more technique dependent than the other lifts. If your technique is good, your progress will be slower. But, if you start with typical form, there is a lot of room for improvement and you might find your weights going up quicker.

Best to have someone knowledgeable to watch you to check your form on all lifts but especially the Oly ones.

…also it’s a press not a jerk so no leg movement should be involved in moving to bar from it’s resting position on the chest.

I don’t remember reading anywhere, nor have I done a PC&P. I have done power cleans instead of rows, which is in the program. I have done military press, which is in the program.

Fisch, is this a modification of your own?

The military press is the most difficult of all the exercises of which to make progress. This will also most likely be the first to need a deload. Why?

Even though it is a compound/multi-joint exercise, it is not using any of your larger muscle groups - legs and back.

I consider chest a close second to military because it is dependent on too many other factors to progress as quickly as your squat or deadlift. That’s probably why bench press is typically the second exercise requiring a deload.

Shit, I miss typed it. I didn’t mean the PC&P, I meant the 2 different lifts, The PC and then the seperate lift the Press, as is stated in Starting Strength. I didn’t realize the way I typed it would be confusing, my bad.

Not a problem. Just as long as you are doing both of them correctly. What I stated still applies.

You may only be able to add once per week or every other week. As long as you are still progressing, either way is fine.

Alright, but now I have another problem. I am trying to teach myself to Power Clean, but I can’t get it. I have all the other lifts down, but the PC is really hard for me to get. I don’t have anyone to teach me, so I have to do it on my own.

When I try to PC, I can’t get the bar past my knees without it bumping them. When I finally do get it past the knees, I can’t get it to touch my thigh. And when I try to get it up, I can’t ever get it to the rack position. I usually catch it in my hands. Also, I can’t get my fingers to let go. I always catch it with my grip still on it.

Should I keep trying to learn the PC, or should I just forget it and replace it with a different lift? If I should replace it, what would you guys recommend that I replace it with?

keep trying it. It takes time to learn to catch it on your shoulders. Took me about 4 months. Use a lot less weight until you get the form down.

[quote]fisch wrote:
Alright, but now I have another problem. I am trying to teach myself to Power Clean, but I can’t get it. I have all the other lifts down, but the PC is really hard for me to get. I don’t have anyone to teach me, so I have to do it on my own.

When I try to PC, I can’t get the bar past my knees without it bumping them. When I finally do get it past the knees, I can’t get it to touch my thigh. And when I try to get it up, I can’t ever get it to the rack position. I usually catch it in my hands. Also, I can’t get my fingers to let go. I always catch it with my grip still on it.

Should I keep trying to learn the PC, or should I just forget it and replace it with a different lift? If I should replace it, what would you guys recommend that I replace it with?[/quote]

Basically the power clean is a deadlift from floor to thigh and then from there it’s an explosive barbell row and then it’s a front squat.

Try to keep the bar as close to your body as possible.
Don’t jerk it up but start slowly and when it reaches your lower quadricep, explode upwards by shrugging and jumping. Don’t bend arms in the explosive lift part.

The rack can be learnt by doing front squats the non-body building way. It’s the exact same position.
Racking it was the hardest part for me because i was somewhat afraid of the bar. It doesn’t hurt though, so now i dont give a fuck and i rack it with ease.
Good luck.

You dont have to touch the bar with your thighs on the clean, just keep it close to your body. Try to make the bar move perfectly vertical and avoid swinging it. The rack position takes time to master, as does the lift but keep practicing with light weight until the bar pops in place every time.

If you do not get 3x5 then keep the weight the same next workout until you get all reps with acceptable form.