T Nation

Power Challenge

My name is Chris Ballance, I am a powerlifter, and a United States Marine. I primarily lift with 100% Raw federation. I have been lifting religiously now for 1 year and 3 months after not lifting or competing for nearly 6 years. My highest raw total is 1300lbs from the 2010 100% Raw Worlds where I weighed 160lbs. My total ranked me #22 on Powerlifting Watch. My goal this year is to substantially increase my total and move into the top 10. I plan on increasing my total to 1450lbs raw while staying in the 165lb weight class, which would have ranked me #6 this year.
The purpose of this thread is to allow powerlifters to post goals, progress, workouts, and give other powerlifters ideas. If you are interested, I would like you to post a few things about yourself.

Goal- 1450lb total at 165
Highest comp. lifts- Squat 445lbs, Bench 305lbs, Deadlift 562lbs, Total 1300lbs (I pulled the 562 at a different comp)
Supplements- Oxyelite, Prime, Anabolic Pump, Jacks3d, Pink Magic, Powerful, and BMF ProTyme protein
Workout Plan- 5/3/1-everything is in pounds.

See attachment or link at bottom.

Accessory exercises:

Military Press (5/3/1)
Shoulders or Chest â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T-bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Deadlift (5/3/1)
Hamstrings â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute-Ham Raise)
Quads â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Sit-ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Bench Press (5/3/1)
Shoulders or Chest â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T-bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Squat (5/3/1)
Low Back â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
Quads â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs â?? 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Sit-ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

1 cycle consists of a building phase (weeks 1, 2, &3) and a de-loading week (4). Once 1 cycle is complete move your 1 rep max up based off your week 3 >1 lifts and recalculate your workout weights.

Here is an amazing spreadsheet that will do everything for you and track your progress with graphs. www.doosoft.com/...oad.pl?file=531
I plan on posting my progress once a month.
Attached Images

First of all..Thank You for your service. I got CRAZY RESPECT for our nations WARRIORS, past (like myself) and present. Ans second that's awesome about your stats..keep up the good work Chris!

I am planning on lifting at the 2011 USAPL Summer Power Fest in Spring, Texas on July 16th. I started 5/3/1 as well this week and plan to run it for at least 5 months until I switch training for this meet. I will then gradually increase my %'s and get a feel for heavier weight closer to the competition. I will lift in the 181's and would like a 540 squat, 360 bench, and 540 deadlift with nothing but a belt and singlet. I am a former single ply lifter who did well in the past but gave up the gear.

As of now I take nothing but fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin with MSM. I am staggering my deload weeks and not deloading on all exercises on the same week. For instance this week I deloaded on squats, 5's on bench, 3's on deadlift, and 5/3/1 on OH press. I think I will like this more than killing myself on all exercises on one week and then relaxing on all the next. Let me know if anyone has had experience with staggering the reps and days.

My first cycle on the 5/3/1

Exercise >5 >3 >2 Est 1 RM Avg
Military 150x6 160x4 170x3 181.1
Deadlift 470x6 495x5 525x2 567.1
Bench 260x6 275x4 295x1 309.5
Squar 380x6 405x4 425x4 465.5

Here is a video of my 425x4 and my 495x5

Sponsored by:
BMF Sports

To Strength Dawg Thank you

Keep up the good work at making some filthy rich bankers even richer and some damn poor people even poorer by invading foreign countries and smashing them places down and creating the need to build it all back up.

Ooops you wanted to hear thank you for your service! I want to make love to you, so much I love the US marine corp!

I actually do not want any thanks for my service that isnt why I joined. However, if you do not agree with our nations current political stance you could tactfully tell that to the white house. I do thank you for your post though and I hope that you have a blessed day.

SSgt Ballance CJ USMC
Semper Fi (always faithful)

wtf???

Hey dickhead, it's not up to this marine whether or not the US goes to war, but he did put his life on the line for his country and should be thanked. Sounds like you're angry with decisions made by people that YOU vote on in elections. Unless you bring an intelligent point of view to the discussion, shut your fucking mouth and at the very least don't harass somebody who would put their ass on the line to protect your life.

Nice lifts!, try and raise your chest more on your squat, it is dropping down and your having to perform more of a good morning half way up.

Tell me Wrah, do people tell you that you are useless in everything in your life or just on these boards?

Deadlifts 1/17/2011 in order

Stopping at the bottom sucks

Chris everything looks good on your end. I have hit PR's every week since starting 5/3/1 on January first. I hit a final set of 425x8 today and felt like I had more in me possibly but I had no spotter. Have you ran 5/3/1 before? I am just hoping that all my rep PR's will translate into a higher one rep max. Week after week I am putting up numbers I never had before but I won't test my one rep max for another couple of months. Hope things keep going well for you.

CJ I can't squat or pull like you at 165, but from what I have seen except for your final rep at the top of the thread, you are going to be a force. I would however suggest you bring your stance in a bit on your dead. I can see 50 at least with a foot position change, but that is just my opinion. I have been a big fan of 100% Raw since it's start, and have hoped it would come to Canada for a long time. Now it has I hope to see a World Championship in Canada soon.

Being Canadian and seeing a post like Wrah has written makes me angry. I have proudly worn red for my troops in Afganistan, and I am proud of my American brothers who go willingly for their country.

BB

Just so everybody knows I am out of lifting for about a month I had to have an emergency surgery Thursday night to remove my appendix. I hope to be lifting light in 2 weeks and heavy in 4.

Hope you heal fast and get back into it. Good luck.

Ok everyone I am back. I'll have footage of deadlifts tomorrow.

NICE!!! BTW: Does it make it easier to squat when you have a Big Freakin Monster telling you to COME ON!!?? lol Na, but thanks for your service and keep pushin/pulln that big weight!

You are human garbage, if your so unhappy in this country Im sure there is a small hut you can have in Iraq or Afghanistan...

I do not support our current American Policy in some of these nations however, its the politicians that decide to send our men and women overseas. Not the other way around. I will ALWAYS, not matter what my stance is on a war, SUPPORT OUR MEN AND WOMEN overseas fighting.

Let me guess, your currently unemployed, have 10 kids by 10 different women and didnt receive your welfare check????