Power Building 4 Days Workout

Got it. Thanks CT

Hi ct.do you recommend doing Low bar squats or high bar squats?

[quote]ibby81 wrote:
Hi ct.do you recommend doing Low bar squats or high bar squats?[/quote]

If you want to build muscle; high bar.

The low bar squat is more of a “leverage lift”. Sure you can lift more but not because the legs work harder or more efficiently, just because you are placed in an advantageous leverage position. You will lift more but the load is spread over the lower back and glutes more rather than the quads.

Unless you are a powerlifter, the low bar squat should be avoided IMHO.

The volume seems a little high for my current level. If you were going to trim the volume down on the four day program what would you change?

[quote]Distortia wrote:
The volume seems a little high for my current level. If you were going to trim the volume down on the four day program what would you change? [/quote]

Cut the sets for the main exercise from 5 to 3 or 4 and only do 2 sets of the last superset

1 Like

Could you replace hyperextensions with kb swings? and would the rep range stay the same?

[quote]seank22 wrote:
Could you replace hyperextensions with kb swings? and would the rep range stay the same?[/quote]

No, you can replace them with seated goodmornings, reverse hypers or glute-ham raise.

Well you can do whatever you want. But I wouldn’t do it. I like KB swings as a metcon exercise not as a hypertrophy/strengthening tool for the lower back.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]seank22 wrote:
Could you replace hyperextensions with kb swings? and would the rep range stay the same?[/quote]

No, you can replace them with seated goodmornings, reverse hypers or glute-ham raise.

Well you can do whatever you want. But I wouldn’t do it. I like KB swings as a metcon exercise not as a hypertrophy/strengthening tool for the lower back.[/quote]
I can attest that using KB swings as a conditional tool is absolutely brutal, not only on the glutes/hammies but the grip as well. I used 70 lbs and tried to get 30 swings in 1 minute, next minute was rest, and so on until 10 minutes is up.

The only exercise I like for the lower erectors honestly are back extensions that are parallel to the floor… not really a fan of the 45 degree ones. But a lot of gyms don’t see to have it unfortunately, at least in America.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]seank22 wrote:

Well you can do whatever you want. But I wouldn’t do it. I like KB swings as a metcon exercise not as a hypertrophy/strengthening tool for the lower back.[/quote]
I can attest that using KB swings as a conditional tool is absolutely brutal, not only on the glutes/hammies but the grip as well. I used 70 lbs and tried to get 30 swings in 1 minute, next minute was rest, and so on until 10 minutes is up.

The only exercise I like for the lower erectors honestly are back extensions that are parallel to the floor… not really a fan of the 45 degree ones. But a lot of gyms don’t see to have it unfortunately, at least in America.[/quote]

I use the glute-ham raise station to do back extensions

Hi CT. I need more info on the double progression method. Thanks

[quote]ibby81 wrote:
Hi CT. I need more info on the double progression method. Thanks[/quote]

What more info is there to give? Care to make your question a bit more precise?

From on of my earlier article:

Lifters who want to get bigger and stronger without the need to peak at a specific time (like a competition) will do best using a double progression method.

First, pick a rep range of about 2 or 3 reps for your work sets â?? for example, 1 to 3 reps, 3 to 5 reps, 6 to 8 reps, 9 to 12 reps. The goal is to do all of your work sets using the same weight. When you can do that, you add some weight the next time.

Let’s say you select 3 to 5 reps as your training zone. You decide to do 5 sets of bench press and you slap 250 pounds on the bar. The first week you get the following rep count for your 5 sets: 5, 5, 4, 4, and 3.

That’s fine. All of your sets fall in the proper rep range. However, since you did not reach the high end of the zone (5 reps) on all your sets, it means that you have to use 250 pounds again during your next session.

If, at your next session, you’re able to get 5 reps for all of your sets, you can move up to 255-260 pounds.

Remember: The key to becoming more muscular and stronger is to keep on progressing. The double progression system is the easiest and most adaptable form of planned progression you can use. You really can’t go wrong.

1 Like

Thanks CT for your help but one last question, rest between sets? Thanks sorry for all questions.

[quote]ibby81 wrote:
Thanks CT for your help but one last question, rest between sets? Thanks sorry for all questions.[/quote]

I’m not a guy who use specific rest periods. Nothing kills the intensity more than timing yourself and looking at the clock. You’ve likely been training for a while and you know when your body is ready to go. Shoot for a rapid workout pace but don’t rest for so short that you aren’t ready to go.

So when you can do 5x5 on all sets and up the weight, do you start at 3 reps and work up to 5 reps again? Or try hitting 5? Thanks ct.

[quote]ibby81 wrote:
So when you can do 5x5 on all sets and up the weight, do you start at 3 reps and work up to 5 reps again? Or try hitting 5? Thanks ct. [/quote]

Pick a weight with which you can do 5 solid set of 5 reps… use the same weight for all the sets.

Hi CT. last week i got 5 sets of 3 of 180kg on deadlifts and yesterday i added a rep doing 4,4,3 on 180kg but than on the 4th set i couldn’t even lift it for 1 rep. Please advise what i should i do? Thanks

[quote]ibby81 wrote:
Hi CT. last week i got 5 sets of 3 of 180kg on deadlifts and yesterday i added a rep doing 4,4,3 on 180kg but than on the 4th set i couldn’t even lift it for 1 rep. Please advise what i should i do? Thanks [/quote]

Take more rest between your sets. The deadlift is a neural animal… even if the body feels good, if the nervous sytem is not recharged that first rep wont go up, especially since it starts off of the floor. With the deadlift that first rep is key, you must dominate it to make the other reps easier. NEVER approach the first rep of as set of deadlift conservatively to keep gas in the tank for the rest of the set, attack it… the more you dominate the first rep the easier the other ones will be.

1 Like

Do you recommend touch n go approach to deadlifts? Thanks ct

[quote]ibby81 wrote:
Do you recommend touch n go approach to deadlifts? Thanks ct[/quote]

When training for strength and size, no, never. Start every rep from the floor with a proper reset.

The only time I use touch and go lift is when specifically working on that skill with crossfit athletes since they have to master it for the best WOD performance.

If you want more “constant tension” do floating deadlifts: standing on a 1-2" platform, reverse direction just before the plates touch the floor.

Hi CT.im making great gains, but i find doing heavy 5x5 progression is slowing. Where do you go when weights gets to heavy to progress on? Thanks