Power Body Building 12 Week Weight Loss

Hey guys when I was looking for a new program a couple of months back and I found power body building, but I never really found any forum threads of any one that’s shared their results. So I thought I would start one if any one else has done it I would be interested to see what you think of the program.

I wont go into heaps of detail about the program its pretty basic you do one compound movement of 2-4 reps depending where you are in the program and then return to the gym and do some cardio (god I hate cardio)

The first four weeks is 7 sets of 4 reps for the compound movements 5 days a week followed up by cardio 30min per session four nights per week

The program does state that you should be start at 70 percent of your 1 rep max to start off with but you go up each week lifting as much as you can as long as you hit the rep target.

I’ve been dieting for some time i started at the end of August at 150kg and i started this program at 136kg. I am now 132.2 kgs so in the four weeks I have lost 4kgs which I am happy with because I am eating 3000 cals per day, as the program tells you to increase your cals by 500 for the first 4 weeks and at the start of each block of four weeks you reduce your calories by 500.

Lifts Start Now
Squat 90kg 115kg
bench (flat) 87kg 105kg
Military Press 20kg 55kg
Deadlift 100kg 140kg

My start weights are pretty much where I left off with starting strength which I really didn’t like I found it to be a bit boring.

For the next four weeks I’ll be doing 3 reps of 7 sets with 45min cardio 5 days a week and dropping 500cals so I’ll be eating around 2500 cals per day (apart from Christmas parties)

12 weeks… Weight loss… Power building…

That’s too much for my brain to handle!

I don’t think this style is a great one but hey, if it’s working for ya…

Power Body Building is just the name of the style of weight training you do, theres a weight loss version and non- weight loss version. But with out knowing that I guess the name could be a little miss leading.

That sounds like a weird, weird program. Where did you find it?

First, well done on dropping to 132.5 kg from 150 kg. That’s a good start.

Also, your lifts have gone up so obviously something’s working. That’s a positive.

What accessory work are you doing?

I would strongly suggest moving to something like 531. There are many excellent variations of it.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

Also, your lifts have gone up so obviously something’s working. That’s a positive.

What accessory work are you doing?

I would strongly suggest moving to something like 531. There are many excellent variations of it. [/quote]

Two accessory movements per session arms has their own day those lifts have gone up as well but my main focus are the compound lifts each gym session lasts about an hour.

So far I’m really enjoying it once I’ve completed the program I might look at something different but I actually think I’ll run it again after a couple of weeks break then maybe move on to something like 5,3,1.

My main goal is fast loss I don’t lose weight all that quickly but at the same time this is the 5th time I’ve attempted to lose weight I’ve a number of years. My down falls have always been jumping from program to program and expecting over night results or dropping large numbers per week, so I am taking a different approach and hopefully it works.

I’ve downloaded the Ebook so it’s most defiantly on the to do list I’m just finding this program so fun I don’t want to jump to another program while I’m still progressing.

I don’t understand what the question is?

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
[/quote]

I’m confused. He barely posted any details about the program. How can you find it weird?

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
[/quote]

That’s ~38lbs in 12 weeks. ~3lbs a week. And he got significantly stronger. It’s fantastic progress.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
I would strongly suggest moving to something like 531. There are many excellent variations of it. [/quote]

Given all the things you said and his fantastic strength gains, why would you suggest he switch programs?

OP, keep on doing what you’re doing.

You should post exactly what this program is, OP. I’m curious.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
You should post exactly what this program is, OP. I’m curious.[/quote]

Core Lifts: Incline/Flat, Squat, Deadlift Military Press
Weeks 1-4, 70%: 7 sets of 4 reps - eat 500 cals more than you normally do
Weeks 5-8, 80%: 7 sets of 3 reps - reduce 500 cals
Weeks 9-12, 90%:7 sets of 2 reps - reduce 500 cals and 0 carbs in the final week (I am not this far into the program but as I have a lot of weight to lose I wont be reducing my cals to this I will contine with 2400/500 cals until i stop seeing results)

There are some videos that have different rep ranges but he explains they are wrong and blames the editing

Now from watching Mikes videos and reading his comments on fb and Instagram the percentages are a starting point you are adding weight to the bar each time you work out as long as you are getting the reps that you are meant to get with good form.
For example today I did legs so on my squats I did three of the 7 sets at 115kg they felt good no grind and i felt i could do at-least 5 so I did the last four sets at 120 its how I progress in weight. I always start where i finished the week before but if I am feeling good and my form is right after the 3rd set I go up and I try to make sure I have one in the tank for example at 122kg for 3 I really felt like i could do four.

I’m just starting out I don’t wear a belt and there is a fear factor for me every time I up the weight so I’ve found this method works for me for progressing I pretty much do it with every lift, I don’t know if its common or not to progress this way but its what I feel comfortable doing.

Each day you also do cardio the program requires you to do two training sessions a day I have read some people doing the cardio after the weights but I can’t do that I’m stuffed I walk out of the gym a mess when I am done. I generally just go on the treadmill and walk on either a flat or incline I change it depending on how sore I am from leg day.

Weeks 1-4, 30 minutes 4 days/week
Weeks 5-8, 45 minutes 5 days/week
Weeks 9-12, 1 hour 6 days/week
Abs: after cardio

Each Body part also has two Body Building movements now the program gives you two to do but in his dvd which i purchased he kinda says you can do any two but I stick to what he say’s.

One exercise at 10-12 reps for 5 sets and another at 3 sets of 6-8 reps

So legs include, leg press and leg extensions a hamstring move is optional ( I do one)

Back includes, Dumbbell rows and wide grip pull downs

Shoulders includes,Wide-Grip Upright Barbell Row,Side Lateral Raise,
Seated Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise

Arms is three bicep movements and three tricep movements I like to have fun on this day so I will change my work out on arms every week I change up the reps and exercises (I’m a bad person I know)

Chest Includes, a DB press and flys

You can use machines if you like some times i use the Incline chest press if there isn’t a bench free. Or i’ll do the pec dec instead of flyes that kinda thing.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I don’t understand what the question is?[/quote]

My thread dosnt really come with a question it’s just talking about how I’ve found/finding the program as I couldn’t find any one on the net that had written something about it and to generation a discussion or get in-put from some one that’s done the program but never posted about it.

There is a thread on T-Nation of some one thinking about doing it but they never posted results and some one was logging it but they stopped logging or quit the program a few weeks in.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
[/quote]

I’m confused. He barely posted any details about the program. How can you find it weird?

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

Given all the things you said and his fantastic strength gains, why would you suggest he switch programs?

OP, keep on doing what you’re doing.
[/quote]

It just sounded odd based on Tue initial description with the calories reducing as you proceeded and the added cardio. I mean, I could see what it was aiming for but it seemed like a less than optimal way to go about it. Admittedly OP’s results proved that surmise wrong.

With switching, see above. Getting that kind of result shows dedication and consistency and I was inclined to credit OP’s success to that much more than the program. So, add that attitude and approach to an excellent program and results should be even better.

But, hey, you’re right. There’s no great impetus to switch programs while it works and OP, since you’re enjoying it and it works, keep up the good work.

Just an up date on this

I lost 10kgs on this program, my shirt size has gone from a lose 5xl to a baggy 3xl and pant size has gone from a 48 to needing a belt 44 almost 42 size.

Deadlift 187 kgs for 2
Squat 162 x 2 Leg press 400kg for 15/20 reps
Mil Press 72kg x 2 shoulder press dbs 35kg x 10
Bench 129 x 2 110kg x 10

I’ve gotten alot stronger on this program, it is very taxing on the body but I really enjoyed it I’ve had to cut it two weeks early so I’ve only done 10 of the 12 weeks.
I think I would have been able to up the lifts even more but next week I’m jumping into my friends program which is 5,3,1 to see how I like it and the week after I am having an operation on my hand which will keep me out of the weight room for 3-4 weeks.

This program may not the latest trend of the most optimal program out there but the number of sets really helped me tighten my form up and I felt stronger every week. Having done this program and starting strength I would do this one any day of the week as starting strength was rather boring.

If I like 5,3,1 which I think I will from what I’ve read and talking to a mate that does it ill be doing 5,3,1 for the next 6 months or so and I might visit this program again at the end of it.

Good progress. I would slightly up your calories/go back up to maintenance so you can really bring it on the rep PR sets with 5/3/1