T Nation

Power*Balance- Performance Technology

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.elpais.com/articulo/sociedad/estudio/concluye/pulsera/Power/Balance/mejora/equilibrio/elpepusoc/20100517elpepusoc_11/Tes&prev=_t

Translation of an article of a Spanish newspaper.

That’s science for you.

Doesn’t the US have some form of public education? Why do people still fall for shit like this? There is absolutely NO WAY something like this could work. And if somehow some parts of the theory behind it were true it would require much more than a hologram to affect the human body. Do people even know what a hologram is, or is it just one of those words that sound just futuristic enough to be a “valid” explanation for everything?

“I broke my arm!”

“Here, put this hologram sticker on the cast, it will heal faster!”

B.

Energy balance blood flow bracelets have been around since the 70’s. My older brother use to wear a copper one and he made the same statements to it’s effects. If you believe it works then it works.

Best way to explain this is Spandex if Someone tells you look good in it after a while you believe that shit, even though at first you though at first you thought I’m a fat ass and should not be walking around in just spandex.

If you think it works it works. You can convince yourself of almost anything

It’s a scam, kind of like Homeopathy - you need to believe it’s working for it to work. Voodoo science.

A basketball playing friend of mine tells me that a lot of guys in the NBA use it and swear by it.

I certainly don’t believe any of the pseudoscience about holograms and frequencies, but as mentioned, the placebo effect can be extremely powerful. A question sometimes asked on med school entrance interviews is “What are your views on ______?” (insert unproven natural treatment…homeopathy, “healing touch”, etc). If you blast the treatment, you’ve failed the question. If it a.) does no harm and b.) provides your patient with some sort of benefit, even peace of mind, it’s can be considered valid.

Acupuncture, acupressure, homeopathy, “healing touch”, dog shit sprayed with gold paint (ok made that last one up)…if you truly believe in it, it likely will manifest some benefit.

I sent an angry letter to the owner of the company and this is the what he sent back.

Frequencies can’t be emitted by a “hologram”. End discussion.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
A basketball playing friend of mine tells me that a lot of guys in the NBA use it and swear by it.

I certainly don’t believe any of the pseudoscience about holograms and frequencies, but as mentioned, the placebo effect can be extremely powerful. A question sometimes asked on med school entrance interviews is “What are your views on ______?” (insert unproven natural treatment…homeopathy, “healing touch”, etc). If you blast the treatment, you’ve failed the question. If it a.) does no harm and b.) provides your patient with some sort of benefit, even peace of mind, it’s can be considered valid.

Acupuncture, acupressure, homeopathy, “healing touch”, dog shit sprayed with gold paint (ok made that last one up)…if you truly believe in it, it likely will manifest some benefit. [/quote]

I didn’t believe in acupuncture, having had it done a few times for various problems, but after getting it for allergies, I do believe some things will work for some people. I am no longer allergic to cats. Same with seasonal allergies. Supposedly this season was bad, but I had very little sneezing and took no Allegra. I didn’t believe it would work before I went.

I’m sure you’ll chalk this up to the placebo effect.

[quote]gbock wrote:
HA! i actually came across this today in the workplace and I wanted to see if any Tnationers were talking about it , its an old post but anyway…

a lady at my work came up to me today and told me to push her over, so well, i pushed her over, then she was all like now watch this, and put on her crazy hologram bracelet and told me to push her over again, and well i pushed her over AGAIN.

she chalked it up to me being stronger than her and thats why i was able to push her over also saying that most normal people wouldnt be able to push someone over when wearing the balance band!

its CRAP!

[/quote]

Uh yeah if you worked at my office I’d ask you to push me over too but I wouldn’t be wearing any ghey bracelet.

[quote]samdan wrote:
Frequencies can’t be emitted by a “hologram”. End discussion.[/quote]

This. +1. x2. QFT.

[quote]natem wrote:
I searched and didn’t see anything right away so hopefully this is new to you. It’s a relatively new product (to my knowledge). Anyway…

At Scheel’s this afternoon I came across this silicone bracelet product and was trying to figure out what it was and an associate introduced it to me and did the strength test that is done in the video. The little I know about it is that it’s a silicone band/bracelet with a hologram that contains a frequency that reacts positively with the body’s natural energy field to improve balance, strength, and flexibility.

To say the least it was nuts, very cool and I’m typically not sold easily on something like this but I can’t argue given I was the subject of the test.

http://www.powerbalance.net/test-video

I couldn’t help to think that something like this that improves core strength and balance etc. would be beneficial in the gym, which is why I chose to share it with the rest of you. (First example that came to mind would be a single arm dumbbell bench and exercises alike) I’ve worked out already today but am very anxious to see how it might aid and benefit tomorrow’s lift. Anyone who has one and been to the gym with it let us know what you’ve experienced and I’ll certainly follow up after my workout. Thoughts, comments, skepticism?

[/quote]

lol

derp depr derp

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

I’m sure you’ll chalk this up to the placebo effect.[/quote]

Probably. Who knows though, I could be proven dead wrong. There is still a lot we haven’t discovered about treating illness in the human body. If it worked for you, great!

Everyone says it works because nobody wants to be the one that admits they spent $60 on a bracelet that doesn’t do anything but still costs $60.

I searched for this thread because of an incident at my gym today. I’ll preface this story with the fact that I have one of these. My girlfriend got it for me and I think it looks cool so I wear it. I dont think it does shit cause I dont feel any difference and I was already super powerful and my balance was/is the shit…

So I’m in the gym today and these two bro’s start chatting near me. Bro 1 is wearing a power balance bracelet and Bro 2 is not:

Bro 2 - “Hey man so do those things really work?”

Bro 1 - “oh yeah they do.”

Bro 2 - “really?”

Bro 1 - “Yeah I didnt believe it at first either. A friend of mine told me to balance on one foot and hold my arms out. He pushed me and I fell over really easily. Then he took the bracelet, he didnt even put it on me, he just touched it to the side of a water bottle and then told me to take a drink of the water. I did and then he couldnt push me over. It was crazy bro. These things work!”

Bro 2 - “I’ve gotta get me one of those.”

I swear thats exactly how it went down. I couldnt believe my ears. Touched it to a water bottle and it magically transferred its balance to the water which you drank? I mean you cant be cereal brah?

No word of a lie

I bought mine for 2$ on ebay free shipping.

Yeah, it’s placebo, but it looks bad-a

they are really popular these days. If you watch sport on TV you’ll see A TON of players wearing them. Whoever started that company is so rich

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.