Powell Endorses Obama

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081019/ap_on_el_pr/powell

I like to criticize BS polls as being unreliable and think that McCain still has a shot but now…

Colin Powell was never a conservative. He is the reason the war was not prosecuted in the most vicious way possible.

As long as the right can maintain at least 41 conservative members in the Senate - I could give a shit who wins the whitehouse.

I am sick of thinking about a McCain administration. I am even more sick of thinking about the new baby jesus.

Neither of them are worthy of the office.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Colin Powell was never a conservative. He is the reason the war was not prosecuted in the most vicious way possible.
[/quote]

Ha! If you are talking about the first gulf war you couldn’t be more incorrect. He was never the “decider in chief.”

Regardless, being conservative has nothing to do with how war is prosecuted. The war was not prosecuted more “viciously” for political reasons; namely Bush I’s re-election campaign.

He says he knew McCain for 25 years and Obama for 7 weeks. He then endorses Obama. He attacks McCain for changing his positions, but endorses Obama after 7 weeks. Hello? You changed your position, probably for spurious reasons.

And this guy is looked up to? He’s an idiot. He was the prime motivator to get Bush and Congress into Gulf War II.

This is what happens when you hire/promote using affirmative Action.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Ha! If you are talking about the first gulf war you couldn’t be more incorrect. He was never the “decider in chief.”

Regardless, being conservative has nothing to do with how war is prosecuted. The war was not prosecuted more “viciously” for political reasons; namely Bush I’s re-election campaign.[/quote]

Once again, the resident slow-belly misunderstands the (recent) historical data. The war is not being prosecuted more “viciously” even now - it’s being prosecuted under well-developed COIN strategies and implemented by competent leadership (Patreus). Bombing everyone into submission (Islam, in Arabic) wouldn’t have done anything but turn the people to Al-Qaeda and the various Shia militias. The difference between the leadership now versus the leadership then is that of competence vs. incompetence.

This is the latest in an interesting turn of events. Everyone early on talked about how Obama and Hillary were going to split the Democratic party. Instead it turns out that McCain may end up splitting the Republican party. Oen of the most notable early defectors was Susan Eisenhower. Her grandfather was President Dwight D. Eisenhower. A family long and legemdary in the GOP. The latest defector is now Colin Powell.

"But he said McCain�??s choices in the last few weeks �?? especially his selection of Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska as his vice presidential running mate �?? had raised questions in his mind about McCain�??s judgment.

�??I don�??t believe [Palin] is ready to be president of the United States,�?? Powell said flatly. By contrast, Obama�??s running mate, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, �??is ready to be president on day one.�??

Powell also said he was �??troubled�?? by Republican personal attacks on Obama, especially false intimations that Obama was Muslim and Republicans�?? recent focus on Obama�??s alleged connections to William Ayers, the founder of the radical �??60 Weather Underground.

Stressing that Obama was a lifelong Christian, Powell denounced Republican tactics that he said were insulting not only to to Obama but also to Muslims.

�??The really right answer is what if he is?�?? Powell said, praising the contributions of millions of Muslim citizens to American society.

�??I look at these kind of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me,�?? Powell said. �??Over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party has become narrower and narrower.�??

It looks like McCain flip-flopping and avoiding the issues, while concentrting on negative attacks is taking it’s toll.

There is even a Republican petition for making McCain stop his attacks and focus on the issues. This has to be a first.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
This is the latest in an interesting turn of events. Everyone early on talked about how Obama and Hillary were going to split the Democratic party. Instead it turns out that McCain may end up splitting the Republican party. Oen of the most notable early defectors was Susan Eisenhower. Her grandfather was President Dwight D. Eisenhower. A family long and legemdary in the GOP. The latest defector is now Colin Powell.

"But he said McCain�??s choices in the last few weeks �?? especially his selection of Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska as his vice presidential running mate �?? had raised questions in his mind about McCain�??s judgment.

�??I don�??t believe [Palin] is ready to be president of the United States,�?? Powell said flatly. By contrast, Obama�??s running mate, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, �??is ready to be president on day one.�??

Powell also said he was �??troubled�?? by Republican personal attacks on Obama, especially false intimations that Obama was Muslim and Republicans�?? recent focus on Obama�??s alleged connections to William Ayers, the founder of the radical �??60 Weather Underground.

Stressing that Obama was a lifelong Christian, Powell denounced Republican tactics that he said were insulting not only to to Obama but also to Muslims.

�??The really right answer is what if he is?�?? Powell said, praising the contributions of millions of Muslim citizens to American society.

�??I look at these kind of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me,�?? Powell said. �??Over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party has become narrower and narrower.�??

It looks like McCain flip-flopping and avoiding the issues, while concentrting on negative attacks is taking it’s toll.

There is even a Republican petition for making McCain stop his attacks and focus on the issues. This has to be a first.

[/quote]

A lib neo-con doesn’t like a true conservative? A lib neo-con doesn’t like anyone who doesn’t think or see the world in the same way as him? So he can’t endorse her? Shocking, absolutely shocking!!

This guy convinces all of us to go to war and Bush gets the blame. Yeah, Bush SHOULD be blamed for listening to this cretin.

No wonder he never ran for office.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Regardless, being conservative has nothing to do with how war is prosecuted. The war was not prosecuted more “viciously” for political reasons; namely Bush I’s re-election campaign.[/quote]

Ha! No. I am talking about the second war. Ha!

Ha! Now shut the fuck up and go back to your theory books.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Regardless, being conservative has nothing to do with how war is prosecuted. The war was not prosecuted more “viciously” for political reasons; namely Bush I’s re-election campaign.

Ha! No. I am talking about the second war. Ha!

Ha! Now shut the fuck up and go back to your theory books. [/quote]

What does the State Department have to do with going to war and how it is prosecuted?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
He says he knew McCain for 25 years and Obama for 7 weeks. He then endorses Obama. He attacks McCain for changing his positions, but endorses Obama after 7 weeks. Hello? You changed your position, probably for spurious reasons.

And this guy is looked up to? He’s an idiot. He was the prime motivator to get Bush and Congress into Gulf War II.

This is what happens when you hire/promote using affirmative Action.[/quote]

That’s a blatant lie and you know it. Powell was pressured by the Bush administration and by Cheney in particular to deliver that testimony to the UN. They handed him the so called evidence. Should he have refused? Probably.

He didn’t.

But he’s the only one brave enough to take the consequences and resign, which is something that can not be said about your heroes.

Now you’re trying to weasel out from under your responsibility. You supported Bush and his whole lying administration. You cheered them on when they picked a war with Iraq.

Now when it turns sour you try to shift the blame on the only black guy in the room?

This reminds me about your silly, silly post where you claim to admire dr. M.L. King but chose to believe all the lies some white gay fat guy in a pink tutu spread around. Remember that one HH? Another glorious day.

Who cares.

The tragedy is that endorsements actually influence how some mental weaklings will vote. Powell showed his true colors with this endorsement.

Whatever. I do find it interesting that people who were falling over themselves to praise the war AND Bush’s execution of it are now acknowledging his massive bungling and trying to use it as a talking point.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Powell showed his true colors.

One color and it’s BLACK.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s IT. Powell is a liberal. Now we know for sure though I never had much faith in him to begin with. He advocated the first gulf war (sheepishly), but had no problem with relinquishing command to the UN and agreed with the resolution (or non resolution) not to eliminate Hussein when we had him in our cross hairs and could have saved us and the world all this bullshit were in the middle of now.

I am disappointed, but in a way I felt it was coming.

Powell’s beef is with the social extreme of the Republican Party, which for the past 8 years have dominated the Republican party. And when the economy started heading downhill it had Mccain focusing on attacking Obama’s character. (Which didn’t fly too well).

→ After all Powell is more of a Fiscal Conservative and Social Liberal.

Plus there is probably a lot of built up resentment from 2003 when he was outmaneuvered by Cheney and Rummy when it came to advising the president, and the whole UN thing.

Either way:
-I am still voting Mccain/Palin and will continue to respect Powell.

Powell is far too smart to be a Republican anymore. I’ve always respected him… now I respect him more.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Neither of them are worthy of the office. [/quote]

Nail fucking hammered on the head.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Powell is far too smart to be a Republican anymore. I’ve always respected him… now I respect him more.[/quote]

But too stupid to be a conservative.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Who cares.

The tragedy is that endorsements actually influence how some mental weaklings will vote. Powell showed his true colors with this endorsement.[/quote]

Powell wasn’t endorsing Obama anywhere near as much as he was endorsing himself.