Powder Shredding Preparation

So I’m going to be following Mike Mahler’s “Reg Park Inspired 5x5 Program”, which I got from here…

I’ll be doing the beginner/2x a week program, which is “option 1” in the article, along with some other training such as hiking, intervals, maybe some plyos, and a gymnastics-style ski-prep class once a week. Feedback/help is welcome, please!

Goals:
-raise squat, DL & pull up numbers
-be strong, esp in lower body so no injuries during winter
-standing backflip
-rip the pow gnar

Tues 9/22 training

jump rope ~3min

shoulder dislocates w/ wood bar

hyperextensions (w/ 1 min break)
3x10, 25 lb plate

superset A1,A2 w/ 2 min break inbetween. all done in squat rack, after military set took bar to floor for rows set, and back to pins for military, so i used the same weight.

A1- standing BB military
115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5

A2- BB bent row
115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5

Back squat (3 min break)
225x5, 245x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x5

since this was my first time with this program i started with lighter weights. i found that the military and row weight was pretty high, maybe had one, two reps left tops on last set.

on squat i was proud i did 315 for the last set, but my form was shit, especially on the last rep as i’m pretty sure my low back rounded, since my hips came up and i did a little good morning to get the weight up.

i’m debating whether or not to keep weight high and forget form or go lighter and try to be strict for every rep.
thoughts?

wed 9/23

supposed to be off day but i took my GF in for a training session, couldn’t help myself but to jump in for a little bit

dips
3x10 BW

pull ups
1x10 BW neutral grip
1x10 BW supinated grip
1x6 BW pronated grip

plie squats
2x10 w/ 16kg kettlebell
(hope i don’t catch teh ghey for doing this)

Welcome and good luck in your training.

Im no expert but if you are experiencing low back rounding then you should ease up a bit until you nail your form. IMO it doesn’t have to be ridiculously pristine, but if it is anything like you described (having to do a good morning) then perhaps you should ease up a bit and work your way into your program.

Im doubting this is your first dance though, so you probably know what is better for your body than “the guy on the forum”.

[quote]RMorrison wrote:
Im no expert but if you are experiencing low back rounding then you should ease up a bit until you nail your form. IMO it doesn’t have to be ridiculously pristine, but if it is anything like you described (having to do a good morning) then perhaps you should ease up a bit and work your way into your program.

Im doubting this is your first dance though, so you probably know what is better for your body than “the guy on the forum”. [/quote]

thinking you may be right. since it was my first day of the program i wasn’t sure what weight to use. i’m going to try and nail down a good weight to use for each set and still keep good form. looks like my low back will need some work as i up my poundages. i’m thinking of adding some reverse hypers in along with the extensions so my back doesn’t limit my squat and DL progress.

thanks for the feedback! no it’s not my first time but i’ll take any help i can get.

Snowboarding dry-land training last night!
One of the local olympic snowboarders, who also owns a boardshop in town does classes for the ski club and let some of my buddies and me jump in for adult classes. It’s humbling when you see a 13-year-old kid flying through the air with ease…

This was actually the second night, we started last week. Quick recap of last week:
dynamic warm-up
gymnastic-style stretching
trampoline work

Last nights training:
-jump rope warm-up
-core excercises
-isometric squat holds- these were brutal! held 90 degree squat for 2min, with bouncing in the hole for a little bit in there too. my low back was feeling it, it was hard to keep my back upright. but then…
-BW jump lunges for 30 sec, supersetted with 30 sec iso squat holds, go for 2 min. this was really brutal, my quads were on fire.
-next was attempting to stand on a stability ball, which i was pretty bad at. eventually i got up and was able to stabilize for like four seconds, but then the trainer came around and threw a medicine ball at us, i caught it, but came right off the ball
-running tramp jumping onto mats
did 360s, flips, layouts, layout-180s
my form was decent but had trouble sticking landings til the end
-standing backflip work
had a belt w/ ropes attached so spotters helped you flip. since i had a trampoline when i was younger i’m actually pretty close to getting this trick. i’m hoping by the end of these training sessions (end of october i think) i’ll be able to stick this trick on my own. imagine that! 210 pounds of Most Major flipping on his own. I’m excited.

recap: training session was good, wish we woulda done some stretches cuz i’m pretty tight, i guess i’ll have to do that on my own today. i’m close to doing a standing backflip on my own. hopefully by end of next month i’ll stick it.

pray for snow…

9/27 training
after a day off i hit the weights hard…

-jump rope ~3min

-hyperextensions 3x10x 25lbs (1min break)

superset A1 &a A2 (2min break)
-A1) Weighted Dips
25lb plate x 5
35lbsx5
35x5
45x5
45x5

-A2) Weighted Pullups
25lbsx5 (neutral grip)
25x5 (supinated grip)
25x5 (pronated grip)
35x5 (neutral grip)
35x5 (supinated grip)

-Deadlift (3min break) w/ mixed grip, switched hand position each set
225x5
245x5
275x5
295x5
315x3 - grip gave out
315x2 - finish off last set

-shoulder dislocates w/ wood bar
-reverse hypers on bench w/ stability ball
1x4xBW my back was toast!

recap: tried to keep the weight high with strict form. was surprised at weight for pullups, i woulda thought i’d fail at that weight. i was happy with deadlift weight, but my grip gave out on the last set. i’d rather not use straps for DLs so i’ll keep weight the same until my grip comes up too.

any recommended assistance exercises for grip strength?

10/2 training

-2min incline treadmill walking
knee felt tight so i wanted to do this to warm up

-foam rolling on legs
leg swings, hip circles, high knees, butt kicks, torso twists, and shoulder dislocates to get the blood flowing

Hyperextensions (1 min rest)
3x10x35lb plate

Superset w/ 2min rest
A1) Standing BB Military
135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 175x5, 175x5
A2) BB Bent Row
135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 175x5, 175x5

Back squat (3min break)
225x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x5, 295x5