Powda's New Program

[quote]algian wrote:
WebEyE wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:
Too much volume? Did you read JB’s article today or CW’s the other day? I think it might not be enough!

Well your certainly right but they also talk about variation, different set/rep schemes, ME, DE, Endurance Sports…if you stick to 3x8 for all your w/o I think you could burn out quite quickly.

What do you think?

I have to agree here. I mean you can go to the gym 5 days in a row but you really should vary the rep/set/weight scheme a bit or you will burn out.

I made a 3 on 1 off program and didn’t adjust the rep/set/weight scheme and burnt out after two weeks…

So something along the lines of, go heavy on day one (high set, low rep, high weight) then go down on day two (low set, high rep, low weight) to speed up recovery, then increase again but not as much as day 1 maybe, etc…

Basically add variety to avoid the body adapting and to allow for recovery in order not to burn out…

Something that might favour this is doing 5 days a week but with a 2on/1off/3on/1off cycle.

What you recon?[/quote]

I think those are pretty good suggestions actually!
I don’t think I’ll burn out on this program after 4 weeks though. To be honest this program seems somewhat easy to me at the moment. Compare it to Quattro Dynamo; the Waterbury Method, or Single’s Club and it’s cake. The only program I really think I burned out on (when not on the v-diet) was Quattro Dynamo. I was in the last week of it and my joints just said “No more!” on the last few sets of the program.

But overall this is just an experiment and a change! I’ll see how it goes.
Granted it’s not as well-designed of a program as one from an expert on this site it’s still quite a good program in my mind!

Why did your biomechanics prof recommend no horizontal pulls while you’re fixing protracted scapulae? Seems to me doing that much pressing compared to retraction and external rotation is going to make it worse.

-Dan

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Why did your biomechanics prof recommend no horizontal pulls while you’re fixing protracted scapulae? Seems to me doing that much pressing compared to retraction and external rotation is going to make it worse.

-Dan[/quote]

B/c of the way the posterior deltoids and rhomboids pull on the scapulae.

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
B/c of the way the posterior deltoids and rhomboids pull on the scapulae. [/quote]

Do you mean then that they’re so far protracted it would be damaging to move through a normal ROM?

If so,

STOP PRESSING!!! Fix the protraction before doing the heavy stuff, you’ll be much better off for it.

Or you can make a PT or Chiro a lot of money in a few years.

-Dan

Let me get this straight… You’re standing on the sides of the treadmill, then jumping on while its going 10.5 mph?

Do us all a favor, tape it. Please?

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:
B/c of the way the posterior deltoids and rhomboids pull on the scapulae.

Do you mean then that they’re so far protracted it would be damaging to move through a normal ROM?

If so,

STOP PRESSING!!! Fix the protraction before doing the heavy stuff, you’ll be much better off for it.

Or you can make a PT or Chiro a lot of money in a few years.

-Dan[/quote]

No; they’re not that protracted. Actually since I started working on them they’ve improved a lot. Ideally I should be able to look at a side view of myself in a mirror and not be able to see my upper back; I’m almost there.

As far as why not to do them it’s the way they pull and their inserted and they would make it worse somehow. Anatomy is not my forte; I’m more of a physiology guy.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Let me get this straight… You’re standing on the sides of the treadmill, then jumping on while its going 10.5 mph?

Do us all a favor, tape it. Please?[/quote]

Yes that’s pretty much what I do. I have one foot on each of the rails on the side of the belt and I hold onto the upper rails and hop on. I’ve never had a problem doing it.

I can also do dumbell shoulder presses while balancing myself on top of those big medicine ball thingys but I haven’t done that in close to a year.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Do us all a favor, tape it. Please?[/quote]

LOL! I just hope Foopa doesn’t get hurt when PP comes flying off the treadmill.

algian wrote:

I don’t think I’ll burn out on this program after 4 weeks though. To be honest this program seems somewhat easy to me at the moment. Compare it to Quattro Dynamo; the Waterbury Method, or Single’s Club and it’s cake. The only program I really think I burned out on (when not on the v-diet) was Quattro Dynamo. I was in the last week of it and my joints just said “No more!” on the last few sets of the program.

Granted it’s not as well-designed of a program as one from an expert on this site it’s still quite a good program in my mind!

[/quote]

Those programs you mentioned you only hit an muscle directly once/week/rep/set scheme right. For example once at 3x8 and once at 8x3 and once at 2x25 etc. You are hitting each muscle group 5 times per week in the exact same manner. I’d burn out in a WEEK on that one man! Seriously.

Thanks for the insight into the pre-workout HIIT!!! I’m going to do it!! I was trying to find a way to balance out my routine and get more sprint work in and now I’ve found it!! I never would have even considered that possibility. THANK YOU!

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:
algian wrote:

Those programs you mentioned you only hit an muscle directly once/week/rep/set scheme right. For example once at 3x8 and once at 8x3 and once at 2x25 etc. You are hitting each muscle group 5 times per week in the exact same manner. I’d burn out in a WEEK on that one man! Seriously.

Thanks for the insight into the pre-workout HIIT!!! I’m going to do it!! I was trying to find a way to balance out my routine and get more sprint work in and now I’ve found it!! I never would have even considered that possibility. THANK YOU![/quote]

I’m almost done with week 2; I’m not burned out yet.

You’re welcome. Bring a towel…or two.

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
Thanks for the insight into the pre-workout HIIT!!![/quote]

He stole that sh!t from me. Thank me.

Dan

Well I ramped up the treadmill to 10.6mph for my sprints and damn does that tenth of a mile make a difference; or was it the extra 5lbs I was carrying around from eating on campus…
Me wonder…

Well I ramped up the treadmill to 10.6mph for my sprints and damn does that tenth of a mile make a difference; or was it the extra 5lbs I was carrying around from eating on campus…
Me wonder…[/quote]

Dude, seriously…we need video proof of your HIIT/Jump-on-and-off Sprints. I thought I got strange looks during my EDT-Cycle - but even I would stand and watch if he would fall of the mill. :wink:

rrjc5488 wrote:

Yes that’s pretty much what I do. I have one foot on each of the rails on the side of the belt and I hold onto the upper rails and hop on. I’ve never had a problem doing it.

I can also do dumbell shoulder presses while balancing myself on top of those big medicine ball thingys but I haven’t done that in close to a year. [/quote]

There is one thing I must confess I admire about the Powda: you are not afraid to do your own thing and let others think what they may. Nicely done, you crazy SOB.

[quote]Dan Fouts wrote:
Pound4Pound wrote:
Thanks for the insight into the pre-workout HIIT!!!

Dan

[/quote]

Thank you, Bastard. You are the guiding light and inspiration through my lonely walk in the fitness wildnerness. A veritable beacon shining through the gray mists of exercise, protecting me from the rocky shores of fatness and apathy.

[quote]Dan Fouts wrote:
Pound4Pound wrote:
Thanks for the insight into the pre-workout HIIT!!!

Dan

[/quote]

Thanks! I tried it this morning. Outside though as I train at home so I don’t have a treadmill, not necessarily a bad thing I guess. I did a light jog for about 3-4 minutes then did a 70% effort 100m sprint then jogged it out and repeated for 3 more 90% effort 50m sprints. After this I jogged home. It took me about 10 minutes. Then I did some prehab shoulder and core work then my workout. I feel like a million bucks right now and my weights during my WO weren’t affected at all. A bit easier if anything.

algian wrote:
WebEyE wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:
Too much volume? Did you read JB’s article today or CW’s the other day? I think it might not be enough!

Well your certainly right but they also talk about variation, different set/rep schemes, ME, DE, Endurance Sports…if you stick to 3x8 for all your w/o I think you could burn out quite quickly.

What do you think?

I have to agree here. I mean you can go to the gym 5 days in a row but you really should vary the rep/set/weight scheme a bit or you will burn out.

I made a 3 on 1 off program and didn’t adjust the rep/set/weight scheme and burnt out after two weeks…

So something along the lines of, go heavy on day one (high set, low rep, high weight) then go down on day two (low set, high rep, low weight) to speed up recovery, then increase again but not as much as day 1 maybe, etc…

Basically add variety to avoid the body adapting and to allow for recovery in order not to burn out…

Something that might favour this is doing 5 days a week but with a 2on/1off/3on/1off cycle.

What you recon?

[/quote]

Know what you mean!
I designed my own program after doing AoW, Quattro Dynamo and HH… But i fucked up, did too much shoulder work and burnt out after 2 weeks… I was training 6 times a week though and i didn’t vary the parameters enough… I learnt my leasson though :slight_smile:

Let me know how it goes…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

I can also do dumbell shoulder presses while balancing myself on top of those big medicine ball thingys but I haven’t done that in close to a year.

There is one thing I must confess I admire about the Powda: you are not afraid to do your own thing and let others think what they may. Nicely done, you crazy SOB.[/quote]

Just wait until you see what’s coming up soon…