Poverty In The U.S.

[quote]denv23 wrote:
I didn’t really want to get into comparing us to the rest of the world. It’s obvious that poverty here is nothing compared to Ethiopia. I was specifically talking about the U.S. and I truly believe that the vast majority of the poor are there because of an entitlement mindset and/or sheer laziness and stupidity.

I started this thread because, at Food World this morning, I was behind a girl with a cart full of ribs, seafood, and top shelf meat cuts, and she pulled an EBT card out of her Coach bag to pay for it. When I was in the parking lot loading my groceries she pulled out in a 2003 Land Cruiser. I wanted to chase her down and choke her with a handful of job applications.

It makes me sick to think that ± 10% of my income goes to support this shit. I’m going to watch football and drink beers. Good day.[/quote]

An ebt card doesn’t necessarily indicate that they recieve food stamps; my girlfriend recently became the legal guardian of her niece, she recieves money from the state on a card and the state takes the money from her mother who is basically an absentee parent.
My girlfirend drives a 2005 murano so maybe i should tell her to keep an eye out as she leaves the grocery store.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
My mother teaches special needs. She recently had to have a major surgery. While she was out she was “making” a good bit more not working than she did working. It’s just sad.[/quote]

Was the sad part that she makes that little teaching or made that much on disability?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
My mother teaches special needs. She recently had to have a major surgery. While she was out she was “making” a good bit more not working than she did working. It’s just sad.[/quote]

Was the sad part that she makes that little teaching or made that much on disability?

[quote]erik206 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
My mother teaches special needs. She recently had to have a major surgery. While she was out she was “making” a good bit more not working than she did working. It’s just sad.

Was the sad part that she makes that little teaching or made that much on disability?[/quote]

Both. Fortunately she doesn’t do it for the money.

[quote]denv23 wrote:
At least 90 % of poverty in this country is self inflicted. There, I said it.[/quote]

Actually, all people have at least some choice in the level of poverty they are going to live in.

Some people are voluntarily poor and others are poor because of the actions of others; but even then people still have a choice in how they will respond.

We don’t necessarily have to live in poverty if we can conceive there is a possibility to live in an opposite state. Not only must we be able to first conceive it we must also figure out how to bring it about, and then we must actually do just that and not stop until we are successful. There are indeed lots of choices to be made to achieve this end.

The biggest factor affecting us is the freedom of choice. The more we are governed the less choices we have and the poorer we will ultimately be.

Poverty is a state of existence where means (choices) become increasingly diminished to the point where life is unsustainable.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
erik206 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
My mother teaches special needs. She recently had to have a major surgery. While she was out she was “making” a good bit more not working than she did working. It’s just sad.

Both. Fortunately she doesn’t do it for the money.[/quote]

I dont think any teacher does.

[quote]erik206 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
erik206 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

Both. Fortunately she doesn’t do it for the money.

I dont think any teacher does.[/quote]

Duh, that’s why they become administrators. They can live on the doll while fucking up your children’s lives with their rules.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Actually, all people have at least some choice in the level of poverty they are going to live in.

Some people are voluntarily poor and others are poor because of the actions of others; but even then people still have a choice in how they will respond.

We don’t necessarily have to live in poverty if we can conceive there is a possibility to live in an opposite state. Not only must we be able to first conceive it we must also figure out how to bring it about, and then we must actually do just that and not stop until we are successful. There are indeed lots of choices to be made to achieve this end.

The biggest factor affecting us is the freedom of choice. The more we are governed the less choices we have and the poorer we will ultimately be.

Poverty is a state of existence where means (choices) become increasingly diminished to the point where life is unsustainable.[/quote]

Holy shit, I almost completely agree with Lifty. (save the “governed” sentence)

This is one of the biggest reasons I decided to became a teacher all those years ago.