Pour Some Sugar on Me

FWIW, the giraffe reference started for me when I saw this picture after the Niagara Open January 2009. I’m the tall lanky one on the right. You can see how I compare to the other women in my weight class. This is when I was at 123lbs. I’ve since moved up to 132 but am still all arms and legs.

It was one of the most fun meets. Dianab came up from Montreal and we all met Ruggerlife who has since been a fixture.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
My shenanigans have been limited since I’ve gotten together with another powerlifter who has moved his stuff (and himself) in with me and we’ve gotten really busy. Our combined garage gym kicks ass now. We have two benches, two bars, approximately 800lbs in olympic plates and 200lbs in 1" plates for my dumb bell handles, 10 (I think) sets of training bands, a rack and a couple of wooden boxes for pulling and box squats.

It’s great having a committed training partner :slight_smile: We had a laugh last week doing speed work with bands. We were squatting with just the bar and trying some of the big bands. We talked about maybe throwing a couple of the bikes on the ends of the bars just to make things interesting. That’s why we’re throwing a bunch of crap in a shed, to resist the urge to squat weird shit.[/quote]

Definitely get some pics on the new setup in your garage…I am so jealous. Things are so much easier when you have someone who is into the same things.

I laughed at you guys using the term powerpants because that’s what we call the chef at the restuarant next store who is a control freak. hehe.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]PeteS wrote:
sorry that Meat so rudely hijacked the thread. Great pulling BTW. Would like to hear your opinion on the powerpants. The group of lifters I train with, myself included, have noticed a decline in ‘quality control’ from Inzer, at least for anything made of the winter (read “texas highschool powerlifting season”). I have an old pair that were great, but too worn. My newest ones are trash. Problems with my real briefs galore…

[/quote]

I’ll let you know what I think. Everything but my belts and singlet are Titan. I love the super Centurian. I have yet to try anything that compares to it for me (single ply at any rate)

Do you get any carryover out of the briefs? I’m getting them to keep my hips supported but we thought if I get enough carryover from them we’d use them as an alternative to training straps down. I train that way a lot and I thought it might save some wear and tear on my suit.

Have you ever used an erector shirt?[/quote]

The carryover would be more akin to an old Z suit with straps down… if that makes sense. 20 lbs maybe? My last single ply suit was a Metal one. Straps down I had about 70 in carryover. So it really is more a hip cushion.

Its good to have you here. Pete needed a gear-whore friend to keep him company. I think the big gorilla was feeling a little lonely.

I wish I could pull 2.5 times my weight. Nice to have you here. Looking forward to following your training.

Hey, glad you’re back, even though I’m jealous of your numbers. Happy that you found a love of your own. Yo Daddy hates it when I bring my boyfriends home.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Hey, glad you’re back, even though I’m jealous of your numbers. Happy that you found a love of your own. Yo Daddy hates it when I bring my boyfriends home.[/quote]

It is very nice having him around. I’d forgotten what it is like to have someone that supports you and has your back. It’s also great that we both compete so there is no friction over the amount of time spent training. We are there to push each other, handle each other at meets and we get stoked over the same stuff. I’m pretty sure Hallmark makes a card for squat rack love :slight_smile:

O!

Great to see you, its been ages since I gave you a good stalking.

sadly, now that you are posting here, you have to switch to 5/3/1 or we’ll eat you.

love
old lardass

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
O!

Great to see you, its been ages since I gave you a good stalking.

sadly, now that you are posting here, you have to switch to 5/3/1 or we’ll eat you.

love
old lardass[/quote]

You’ll have to catch me first. I’m fast and crafty… I can run like a bitch even in a squat suit. Giraffes are like that.

Results of today’s meet:
Made weight at 59.8 kg (132lbs)
I went 8 for 9 with a 360kg total.
Squat: 115, 130 (no lift - high), 130kg (good - easy)
Bench: 62.5, 67.5, 70kg
Deadlift: 135, 147.5, 160kg (353lbs)
The bench was a small meet pr of 2.5kg and the deadlift is a meet pr of 9kg.

I really did the meet for the final pull and I was so stoked when I got the lift that I got half a bad word out of my mouth in my excitement before I slapped my hands over my face to stop the rest. There was general laughter thankfully. It was tough but not a grind and there is more there. The next meet is the first week of June in Belleriver so I’m hoping to get my 140 squat and a 165 pull.

Congratulations, that is an awesome performance.

Congratulations! That is a strong performance and the PRs make it that much sweeter!

Oh, and welcome to our side of the tracks. We’ve been needing someone to raise the property value :slight_smile:

Great job! and 2 PRs to boot

Congrats!!! Glad you had a good meet!

8 for 9, with the one a depth call in an IPF affiliate, is damn fine work.

Thanks for all the nice responses. The meet was fun. It was one flight of 12 people and only 2 women. It was the smallest one I’ve done with a lot of novice lifters. I ended up talking for a while to the only other woman who was also in my weight class and it was her first meet.

She almost bombed on bench but was given a fourth attempt due to interference and was able to pull it off. It’s funny how excited you can get for the other lifters. Start to finish was about 2 hours and absolutely blasted my cns. I feel like I’ve been smashed in the head.

My total puts me 15kg shy of an elite total so I’m easing my way towards that :slight_smile:

Outstanding meet. Congrats on all your lifts.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Thanks for the welcome back. Tootles you should move your log over here too. It seems pretty male heavy. It needs some more ladies.

On the subject of aging, my hips have been giving me grief for a while so I ordered a pair of power pants from Inzer. I think the multi-ply guys wear then under their suits but I was looking for a cheap alternative to Rehband compression shorts. I’m going to try them under my Centurian for a laugh but obviously I can’t compete in them. I want them for training to get a bit of hip support.[/quote]

Shows what I don’t know, why can’t you compete in them?

Many lifting federations don’t allow compression briefs in a meet, Elaikases.

Very impressive meet, O. To be so close to elite status. What a great goal to shoot for. I’m also impressed that you can even think about getting compression shorts on under your suit.

Ohh here you are.
Great job on your meet!