T Nation

Pounds and Kilos, Effect on Thought.

Americans chase after 200 pound this (maybe bench) and 400 pound deadlift and squat and then 400 pound bench and 500 squat etc.
While others chase after a 100 kilo bench,200kg deadlift etc.

A 400 bench does not sound very impressive when converted to kilos,it’s “only” 180kg. A non-american needs full hundreds in kilos, so in the states 400 bench is elite while elsewhere you have to do 440 in pounds.

I go by plates of 45…
2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, etc

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I go by plates of 20…
2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, etc[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I go by plates of 45…
2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, etc[/quote]

Good for you. In “strength sports,” (this section of the forum,) they go by pounds or kilos.

Also, I’m not sure of the point of this post. Eastern Europeans go by kilos and have dominated strength sports for many years. Or was that your point?

I thought everyone was using grams when they were talking about there numbers thats why i kept posting 405 for me

well this is just wierd now

[quote]Ramo wrote:
blazindave wrote:
I go by plates of 45…
2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, etc

Good for you. In “strength sports,” (this section of the forum,) they go by pounds or kilos.

Also, I’m not sure of the point of this post. Eastern Europeans go by kilos and have dominated strength sports for many years. Or was that your point?[/quote]

That’s not always true. People dont want a 300 lb or 400 lb bench. They want a 315 or 405 becasue that’s 3 and 4 plates … I can’t believe it, but I htink I just agreed with blazin dave

When they announce my attempts at meets, I always joke they should keep em in kilos - sounds smaller, less intimidating. Then, when I make it, it is even more exhilarating to get there.

OP-

If you have a problem with us using pounds feel free to go check out EUROSTERONE NATION where you can talk to your heart’s content about the metric system, cold weather, eel pie, blond hair, and gnomes.

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:
OP-

If you have a problem with us using pounds feel free to go check out EUROSTERONE NATION where you can talk to your heart’s content about the metric system, cold weather, eel pie, blond hair, and gnomes.

[/quote]

I really don’t think the OP was having a dig at Americans on the grounds they use different units of measurement to most of the rest of the world. He didn’t even seem to be complaining about the difference, just making an observation.
I don’t understand the unprompted xenophobia

The last time I made a new deadlift PR, before my current one, I pulled 180 kg.

At that time, there was a DL thread in Strength Sports, so I go to post my new max. Then I make the kg-lbs conversion…
“Hey, guys, new PR here - pulled 397 lbs”
“…But, dude, why didn’t you go for 405? And how da fuck do you get 397 on the bar???”

LOLZ

All my numbers are in kilo’s, although if I do hit some sort of “milestone” like 500lbs dead etc, I will notice that!

[quote]Lancey wrote:
Noodle_Arms wrote:
OP-

I really don’t think the OP was having a dig at Americans on the grounds they use different units of measurement to most of the rest of the world. He didn’t even seem to be complaining about the difference, just making an observation.

[/quote]You’re right.

what if your just brought up with a certain unit? my first set was in pounds, and veg and fruit was sold by he pound, so i use pounds, not because it sounds more than kilos

Po tay toe / po tah toe

I have decided I will use both systems and whatever round number is next I will use that as my goal.

so goal progression will be something like:

200lbs
100kg
250lbs
150kg
300lbs

or whatever I can’t be bothered doing the math right now but it will give me twice (or more) the round number milestones. :slight_smile:

Why not just use both units to your advantage???

My recent “milestones” on my squat have been;
200kg/440lb
500lb/230kg
600lb/272.5kg

Next is;
300kg (661lb)
and
700lb (317.5kg)

The way it seems to work out is that you can hit a milestone lift in kg, then look for the next one, which is usually gonna be a nice round lb number!!

It keeps the goals fairly close together. Like the gap from 600lb to 700lb is huge, but the gap from 272.5kg(600) to 300kg(660) isn’t as much so.

Then when I hit 300kg/660lb, I’d have a MASSIVE amount of weight to add before hitting the next kg milestome (350kg), so it’s easier to train for 700lb (317.5kg).

[quote]kiwinomad wrote:
Po tay toe / po tah toe

I have decided I will use both systems and whatever round number is next I will use that as my goal.

so goal progression will be something like:

200lbs
100kg
250lbs
150kg
300lbs

or whatever I can’t be bothered doing the math right now but it will give me twice (or more) the round number milestones. :)[/quote]

Damn, beaten to it. This post only came up after I put up mine.

What about numbers like 300kg deadlift? That’s only 660, but 7 plates is 675. Or if you like round number, 700lbs.

Why are you comparing 400lbs to 200kgs? Why not 495lbs? And why 200kgs, why not 250kgs? Why 495lbs? Why not 585lbs? Why 250kgs? Why not 300kgs? The milestones don’t match up. So what?

To me, it sounds like you think kilos are ‘better’ because it’s more than a 2x conversion to lbs.

I use the Scottish stone conversion rating.

[quote]ASNAC wrote:
I use the Scottish stone conversion rating.
[/quote]

This must be real fun if you lift atlas stones.

Personally, the heaviest stone I’ve ever lifted was 28.92857 stone. :slight_smile:

I forgot to add number of plates and multiples of bodyweight into my system of always having a milestone.

Damn, if I do this right I could have a milestone to celebrate every month! :slight_smile: