Potatoface's Log

7/12/10
Bench Press
3x5 150

notes: was able to set my arch without hurting my lower back. made it a lot easier.

Pull ups
5, 5, 3, 2

notes: just doing easy reps with strict form

6 mile run today with recruiters

1 month out from official IST. If I do bad I lose my 12k bonus. Im not doing any lower body lifts until then except light front squats 1x a week.

7/14/10

Strict Press
4, 3, 3 at 125

DB rows
3x8 70

Treadmill run
~2 miles at 20 minutes doing intervals

7/16/10

Chin ups
9(failed 10th)

Pull ups
6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 2

Friday PT
lots of running up stairs and did some kind of circuit thing for the bulk of the time

7/17/10

Bench press
3x5 155

Front squats
3x3 145

Low bar squats
3x3 145

High bar squats
3x3 145

notes: just did some light squats for my knees and to practice form. found high bar squats the easiest to unrack from my shitty setup

7/19/10

This was deload day for strict press. I just did the same workout as the other poolees at the gym but with light weight. It was just a bunch of curls and db bench presses, more of a time waster than a workout.

Short Treadmill run
~10 minutes

7/21/10

~2.5 miles not sure on the time. felt really easy and I kept up with everyone

2 months to boot camp :slight_smile:

Bench Press
3x5 160lbs

notes: had to cheat(butt came up off the bench) for the very last rep, but I did pause :D. Glad I went up considering I lost some weight. Weighing in around 190 at the moment. Maybe I’ll be able to bench my body weight before boot camp.

Pendlay Rows
2x6 with the bar
3x6 95lbs

notes: im trying to work on pulling with my back but it didn’t feel like I was doing this with even just the bar. I really want to avoid pulling with just my arms.

Inverted Rows
11, 9, 7

notes: put my feet a bit higher so they were harder

7/23/10

Practice IST

Chin ups: 10(failed 11th)
1.5 mile run: 11:22
sit ups: 70

so I passed the run, but i want to just keep doing what Im doing and hopefully lower it another minute for the offical IST. I got to see MCRD/all the recruits in training today at a graduation which was pretty motivating.

I think Ill start working on crunches a bit more consistently so I can get closer to 100.

Strict Press
4, 4, 2 at 125

notes: i dont know if i should deload again or just go down 10lbs and try to get some momentum

7/24/10

did this Cosgrovian complex:
Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Bentover Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

did 6 reps, rest 90 seconds, then 5 reps, then 90 seconds, then 4 reps, etc.

it was kind of easy but maybe it will help my metabolism

7/26/10

Morning PT

5 mile run today

Shins were hurting in the beginning of the run so I started p. slow, by the middle they stopped hurting so I was able to finish well. I pushed my car across the border in the morning before this cause it overheated, fucking tired.

Bench Press
3x4 165lbs

Notes: very good form, nice pause and leg drive. Last rep was a struggle but kept my ass down.

Chin ups/Pull ups
4, 4

notes: going light on these today since I went to failure 3x last week on this.

7/28/10

Friday’s PT was moved to today

did a 6 mile run, 3 up hill then 3 down hill.

Im taking a break until monday so my shins can heal up. Official IST is less than 3 weeks away.

8/2/10

No running today. Letting my shins rest up.

Bench Press
3, 5, 4, 3 at 165

notes: form was way off first set, but fixed it. A little progress on this since last time, not a lot though.

8/4/10

Wednesday PT

Pull up pyramid superset with push upsx5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Weighted crunches

running with sprints/running backwards up hills, it was horrible i almost threw up

8/5/10

Strict Press
worked up to 140x2

Horizontal Rowing
Played around with t-bar rows. I tried just rowing with my hands on the bar but the 45s make the ROM very small. I tried using a rope as a handle and that seemed to work a little better.

High bar squats
1x3 185
1x3 215

notes: some light squats for right knee pain

BB curls
a lot at 55lbs

notes: elbows were hurting

8/6/10

Friday PT
The run was short but tough(stairs) so my shins got it easy but it was still a tough ass run.

i am about a week out from the IST so I am going to stop lifting and make sure my shins heal up good for the 14th

8/8/10

Cosgrovian complex:
Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Bentover Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

did this with 65lbs

8/9/10

Morning PT

1.4 mile run to a baseball field
sprints/backward sprints/high knees/lunges/body dragging/whatever else we did
1.4 mile run back

8/10/10

Practiced a bit with snatch, overhead squat, clean, jerk, and power snatching with a broom stick/empty bar

all the jumping and slamming my feet into place probably wasn’t good for my shins, they are kind of sore from it.

I iced my shins a lot today. They want me to run tomorrow so I will have ~ 72 hours between last training run and the test.

hopefully they will heal up by then, they should. Im feeling pretty good about my progress I am hoping to get around 10:40, but we will see. Luckily the real course has the first/last 400meters marked off so at the end when I hit that point I can really take off and give it everything. Fortunately, my weight is only really debilitating in the longer runs, 3-6 miles.

Late update.

Passed my IST, everything went well.

8/18/10

So I wasn’t suppose to workout today but my shins were feeling good so I did anyways.

circuit with pull ups, push ups, dips, overhead press with ammo cans, squats with ammo cans, lunges

4 mile run with ammo cans, pretty tough run.

Like I said, my shins felt better even though I ran like a few days before so either all the calcium pills are helping or my shins are finally getting used to the running.

Ill see how I feel Sunday and judge whether Ill run monday. I’ve been practicing overhead squats because the light weight load doesn’t effect my shins and it seems like a challenging lift to learn. I did 65lbs 5x5 with it the other day, haha.

8/23/10

7 mile run in about an hour

had to shit the whole way, almost messed myself

Its the next day now and my shins don’t really hurt at all. I hope this means I am getting better conditioned to running finally.