T Nation

Potatoes As Carb Source

Just wanted to get your opinions of having potatoes as your primary carb source during PWO and breakfast.

For breakfast, I really cannot eat oates anymore (on the verge of puking every time)and am looking for a replacement. For PWO I’d have some Surge and then a meal 45 mins later with chicken breasts, potatoes, and some veggies, whole weat bread, and fruit. ANy good?

White potatoes are high on the glycemic index. If you are talking yams, then they are fine.

i dont see a problem having them PWO and at breakfast. potatoes have high GL yes. They are also a healthy food.

Red potatoes and yams are very healthy and won’t hurt you.
Maybe if you’re trying to cut down to 6 or 7 % bf you’d want to keep with the yams,but other than that if your having some for breakfast or post workout(especially at times when your insulin levels are low, such as breakfast)it won’t kill you.
Especially if you’re eating the potatoes with some protein and healthy fats.

i’m not sure how much this will really help, but…if you were to just eat the oats dry, and like stick a spoonful in your mouth, then throw some water in your mouth right after to swallow it with, it’s really not that bad. Tastes similar to what you could assume cardboard tastes like, but it really doesn’t have that much taste to it. Not to mention it’s a heck of a lot faster and convenient.

[quote]relativelyfunguy wrote:
i’m not sure how much this will really help, but…if you were to just eat the oats dry, and like stick a spoonful in your mouth, then throw some water in your mouth right after to swallow it with, it’s really not that bad. Tastes similar to what you could assume cardboard tastes like, but it really doesn’t have that much taste to it. Not to mention it’s a heck of a lot faster and convenient.[/quote]

I prefer this variation, shaker bottle + milk + oats = quick drink. Its good to blend it with peanut butter and whey also.

[quote]relativelyfunguy wrote:
i’m not sure how much this will really help, but…if you were to just eat the oats dry, and like stick a spoonful in your mouth, then throw some water in your mouth right after to swallow it with, it’s really not that bad. Tastes similar to what you could assume cardboard tastes like, but it really doesn’t have that much taste to it. Not to mention it’s a heck of a lot faster and convenient.[/quote]

Just beware, for anyone who goes this route, that at first you may experience some extreme abdominal discomfort and gas. Over time you might get used to it, but for some people it can be quite an adjustment.

BTW, I’m not trying to get anyone not to consume their oats that way. Just encouraging anyone who does to start slow. It’s a great way to get some low GI carbs in, although I’m still somewhat suspect as to whether the body actually absorbs and utilizes the uncooked oats. I seem to pass them whole a lot of times when I do this…

Buy organic if possible, and make sure to eat the skin as well. Potato skins are extremely good for you. Believe it or not, but the potato is extremely contaminated with pesticides.

You can reduce the GI of a potato buy fixin it up a little. Add some butter and crushed up bacon, and not only will it taste better it will lower its GI.

I eat at least 5 potato a week.

Buy organic potatoes, organic fat free milk and some Olivo then make mashed potatoes with them!

I mix my potatoes with cottage cheese. I think it’s a great pre-workout snack.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Buy organic potatoes, organic fat free milk and some Olivo then make mashed potatoes with them![/quote]

What the fuck is Olivo? And organic milk is useless. Same shit as buying regular. Its been pretty well proven that the amount of horomones they inject into cattle are so minute its harmless. The reason one would want to eat organic grass fed beef would be because the Omega 3 ratio is better