T Nation

Potato Diet - What Do You Think?

Stumbled upon this yesterday. Don’t ask me how.

20potatoesaday.com

I think it looks pretty interesting.

The website says it all, but the premise is nothing but potatoes and a bit of added fat for 60 days. The bloke done it and lost a fair ammount of weight and his health markers improved e.g. blood pressure and cholestral levels.

Before looking at a potatoes nutritional value I always thought of them as a starchy veg but they are loaded with micronutrients! Also, the majority of the carbs are thought to be “digestive resistant” and act as fiber. What do you all think?

I’m gonna try this for 2 weeks and check back afterwards to see what happens.

I’ll go by weight

Currently I weigh 12.3 stones.

Day one: All I have eaten is 2 servings of mash with pesto. 6 potatoes and I am stuffed. I am usually starving all the time. Dunno if it’s psychological or not though so ill stick to it.

This is exactly how I dieted for my upcoming show! What a coincidence.

lolol eat some protein idiot
eating potatoes for carbs is otherwise a very good idea

notsureifsrs?

I don’t see how you’ll do yourself any real harm in just two weeks.

However, I can think of more productive dietary strategies.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
eating potatoes for carbs is otherwise a very good idea[/quote]
X2
How would eating basically nothing but carbs work?

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

X2
How would eating basically nothing but carbs work?[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by “work”. When I was first living on my own I essentially lived off brown rice and a very little bit of occasional tuna, veg, eggs and dairy for the better part of 6 months(plus beer on special occasions). Still, it was over 95% brown rice. I got pretty damn lean. It was more of a money thing than a diet thing, but it “worked” by most people’s dietary standards.

I’m not recommending this. At all. I’m just sayin’ there’s more than one way to skin a cat…

[quote]batman730 wrote:

X2

Depends on what you mean by “work”. When I was first living on my own I essentially lived off brown rice and a very little bit of occasional tuna, veg, eggs and dairy for the better part of 6 months(plus beer on special occasions). Still, it was over 95% brown rice. I got pretty damn lean. It was more of a money thing than a diet thing, but it “worked” by most people’s dietary standards.

I’m not recommending this. At all. I’m just sayin’ there’s more than one way to skin a cat…[/quote]
Fair enough, but with no protein I imagine there would be a loss of muscle mass… not sure how that fits anyones goals

You can definitely survive off and be healthy on a carb majority diet. Otherwise every peasant would have starved to death or have died of some deficiency. Foods like potato, barley, whole grains, etc. tend to be complete meals in themselves.

But for anything related to building muscles? Na. You wouldn’t be able to get the necessary amount of proteins to fulfill BB needs. And there are certainly easier methods of losing weight and getting your health in check. Cannot imagine eating nothing but potatoes for days on end.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
This is exactly how I dieted for my upcoming show! What a coincidence. [/quote]

How did you feel whilst doing it?

There is about 3 grams of complete protein in your average spud. I know it’s not a huge ammount of protein, but if someones looking to trim up, with just ten potatoes a day thats roughly 30 grams of protein. Also, I’m not saying people should live of this, just found it interesting and wanna see what happens for the lol’s.

The only bit of cheating im gonna do is add a bit of milk (there you go :wink: some extra protein) to the mash with the little bit of butter I use, and I suppose the use of pesto was cheating too so I’ll leave that out for the two weeks.

Any ideas of what spices or herbs go good with mash?

[quote]magick wrote:
You can definitely survive off and be healthy on a carb majority diet. Otherwise every peasant would have starved to death or have died of some deficiency. Foods like potato, barley, whole grains, etc. tend to be complete meals in themselves.

But for anything related to building muscles? Na. You wouldn’t be able to get the necessary amount of proteins to fulfill BB needs. And there are certainly easier methods of losing weight and getting your health in check. Cannot imagine eating nothing but potatoes for days on end.[/quote]

Yea I totaly agree with you that it is not going to help any way in building muscle, but I don’t think I’ll lose too much muscle. My goal is pure vanity. I wanna lose a bit of fat thats stuck about from when I was a fat little kid and this sounds like a fun way to do it cause I love me tatas.

“Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew”

[quote]dlee34 wrote:
notsureifsrs?[/quote]

Lol, yea I’m serious. I’m curious.

I agree that you need some protein. But as far as good ways to eat potatoes, I like to mix avocado into my mashed potatoes. It adds in some good fats and I like the flavor. It will change the diet somewhat. Garlic is also good with potatoes.

Also, as far as the micronutrients, a lot of them are actually in the skin. If you’re making mashed potatoes, make sure to get the skins in there, too.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
I agree that you need some protein. But as far as good ways to eat potatoes, I like to mix avocado into my mashed potatoes. It adds in some good fats and I like the flavor. It will change the diet somewhat. Garlic is also good with potatoes.

Also, as far as the micronutrients, a lot of them are actually in the skin. If you’re making mashed potatoes, make sure to get the skins in there, too. [/quote]

I hate avocado but love garlic, so I’ll chuck a bit of that in with a bit of olive oil for the fat. I keep the skin even when i mash it, I take a knife to the freshly drained potatoes whilst still in the pot and slash them up before I mash them.

Thanks for the suggestion and letting me know where most of the nutrients are.

However, I’d really just add in a couple of protein shakes or some eggs/meat. A period of low protein wouldn’t kill you, but you have an option to make this actually a good muscle building diet. If you were doing a fasting type diet I would say go for the low protein

Just about every herbs and spices can go with potatoes, because they’re inherently low on flavor. So put whatever you want in them and they’ll taste much more like that.

I like potatoes too. They’re great, when you’ve having them with something else =)

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Yea I totaly agree with you that it is not going to help any way in building muscle, but I don’t think I’ll lose too much muscle. My goal is pure vanity. I wanna lose a bit of fat thats stuck about from when I was a fat little kid and this sounds like a fun way to do it cause I love me tatas.[/quote]
What will your workouts look like for these next two weeks? If you train any differently than you’ve been for the last few months, understand that you’ll skew the results of your experiment pretty significantly. In any case, before and after photos will obviously be the ideal way to determine progress.

That’s one thing I didn’t see any mention of on the original site - exercise. A high carb, high fiber, low fat, low protein, low calorie diet will result in weight loss, for sure. The number on the scale will go down and that’s part of what made the guy call this a success. We, as people who lift regularly, have different requirements and different expectations compared to the average person.

Dr. Clay Hyght actually wrote about the pros and cons of low fat/high carb diets here:

He mentions the benefits of high carb intake and insulin, but again, that’s presuming sufficient protein intake along with the carbs.

Potatoes may have some protein, but 30 or even 50 grams of low quality protein won’t be enough to support a 170-pound guy’s hard training routine. I’m saying this as someone who self-experimented with vegetariansism and veganism (two months total)… give it a shot if you want to, but be smart about it. Track different measurables, stay strict, and include as few variables as possible.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

X2

I’m not recommending this. At all. I’m just sayin’ there’s more than one way to skin a cat…[/quote]
Fair enough, but with no protein I imagine there would be a loss of muscle mass… not sure how that fits anyones goals[/quote]

Like I said, I’m totally not arguing in favour of it, so please don’t take it like that. Also, by “most people”, I mean the Planet-Fitness-going-Oprah-watching public whose fitness goals relate primarily to fat loss and “toning”.

I would say if you are regularly subsisting off Cinnabon and Big Gulps I would not be surprised if you would notice positive changes in nearly all your health markers if you went for 60 days on a diet based around a single complex carb and water. Does this make it an optimal or even a good diet in any sense of the word? Nope. Especially not if you have any interest in developing strength and muscularity.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Stumbled upon this yesterday. Don’t ask me how.

20potatoesaday.com

I think it looks pretty interesting.

The website says it all, but the premise is nothing but potatoes and a bit of added fat for 60 days. The bloke done it and lost a fair ammount of weight and his health markers improved e.g. blood pressure and cholestral levels.

Before looking at a potatoes nutritional value I always thought of them as a starchy veg but they are loaded with micronutrients! Also, the majority of the carbs are thought to be “digestive resistant” and act as fiber. What do you all think?

I’m gonna try this for 2 weeks and check back afterwards to see what happens.

I’ll go by weight

Currently I weigh 12.3 stones.

Day one: All I have eaten is 2 servings of mash with pesto. 6 potatoes and I am stuffed. I am usually starving all the time. Dunno if it’s psychological or not though so ill stick to it.[/quote]

I say if you want to try it, try it. Use your body as a lab, if it workds for you all the better. Also check this out at free the animal.com, he gave it a go, and some tips on different recipes. The author there said it worked, he just got sick of potatos lol