Potassium

Recently a former Pro BBer told me to take lots of potassium because it lines the veins and makes them expand, letting more blood and oxygen to the muscles. This also gets more nutrients such as protein to them, making them grow and become stronger. Is this true and if so, do they sell Potassium at drug stores?

Your body is always balancing sodium and potassium. Every cell of your body needs both function.

The difference between the two is that not having enough potassium will stop your heart. Also, having too much potassium will stop your heart.

I suggest you educate yourself a bit more and ignore most what you hear from non-nutritional professionals.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I suggest you educate yourself a bit more and ignore most what you hear from non-nutritional professionals. [/quote]

He use to be a professional, I think it was potassium, whatever bananas have a lot of he said.

I think he meant a professional in the medical or health field, not a pro bodybuilder. Potassium is sold at drug stores, tho it is limited to 3% of RDV per tablet. I forget exactly why, but, yea, you CAN take too much of it.

darn, only 3%, my multivitamins have 3% so ill just stick with those. Thanks though

Potassium does not line your veins. As mentioned earlier it is involved in the NA K Pump and too much or too little will stop your heart. You shouldnt supplement it in most scenarios, unless you are on a diuretic or have medical conditions

This is the second thread you have started asking questions about what this guy is telling you.

Frankly from what I’ve seen so far I know more about enriching uranium than this person does about any topic you have mentioned. Seriously. On this topic here, as has been said, too much potassium will kill you and it is ridiculously easy to get plenty by eating good food. Fruits, veggies, milk etc all have significant amounts. Most food that doesn’t come in a bag, box, package or can has some. Conversely, potassium is one of the first things to go when foods are taken from beneficial to bullshit by modern processing.

Is there any other things that start with the letter P, it may have been phosphorous or phosphate, or any other P vitamins or minerals…

I take potassium pills every day but is only because i read that one of the best things for sexuall performance is potassium.i can stay hard after 2 or 3 nuts.plus its in bananas so its got to be good for you.I got twinlab pills i open them and put them in my protien shakes.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
Potassium does not line your veins. As mentioned earlier it is involved in the NA K Pump and too much or too little will stop your heart. You shouldnt supplement it in most scenarios, unless you are on a diuretic or have medical conditions[/quote]

Thank god someone knows a bit about cellular chemistry.

As to the OP, read up on cell membrane biology. That will explain how nutrients get in cells and metabolized.

so if i eat 20 bananas a day i can get an overdose of potassium and give myself a heart attack? fascinating.

[quote]kindke wrote:
so if i eat 20 bananas a day i can get an overdose of potassium and give myself a heart attack? fascinating.[/quote]

No, but a sufficiently enthusiastic supplement addict could eat enough to put themselves in cardiac arrest though it would take some effort. 8-10 grams or 8000 to 10,000 milligrams. That’s why it’s only sold in small dose increments.

You can work around the pill limitation by buying salt substitute from the spice aisle of your local grocery store. It is potassium chloride. 1/4 tsp will give you a bit over 600 mg of potassium.

If you ever hear about marathoners dropping dead after a race its usually because they sweat out all of the potassium in their system. Your muscles, including your heart need potassium to function.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
If you ever hear about marathoners dropping dead after a race its usually because they sweat out all of the potassium in their system. Your muscles, including your heart need potassium to function.[/quote]

Dang, never heard that one. It may not have been potassium, he is going to come and give me some supplements and show me how he trained. I’ll tell you guys what he said about some of the stuff in more detail.

I take 250mg of potassium aspartate a day. I have had nothing but good results. More energy better mood, better gains.

Potassium is extremely reactive in water, high doses might be dangerous because of that. The aspartate might prevent that explosive reaction. Not sure though.

Eat a big peach, or a couple of nectarines. They’re packed full of potassium (250-300mg per fruit). In general any yellow fruit is going to be saturated with the stuff.

DJ

Here’s how easy it is to get enough potassium if you eat whole unprocessed foods.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Here’s how easy it is to get enough potassium if you eat whole unprocessed foods.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm[/quote]

So 9000 is ok according to your chart…?

I have had low potassium levels from certain diets. The first thing that will happen to you is extremely painful muscle cramps that come on from even the slightest flexion of the muscle. I always keep some potassium pills on hand now, although it was my fault for not getting it through dietary mechanisms.