T Nation

Pot Roast

I am new to the world of crock pots but recently made my first pot roast last weekend and really enjoyed it. I included this grazy packet thing and was just wondering if you just took your roast and added some water if it would come out tasting ok? Thanks.

I don’t know if I’d want to do it with just water… but you can get a flavorful pot-roast and gravy without using anything too fancy. Basically, all you need is a can or two of crushed tomatoes, a couple of chopped celery stalks, a couple chopped carrots, and one or two chopped onions.

You could just throw all the stuff together, but I brown the roast in the pot first. Throw in all the vegetables and enough water or stock to mostly cover the roast, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for at least 3 hours, until you can easily pull it apart with a fork. Some thyme, garlic and bay leaf wouldn’t hurt either, and neither would a cup of red wine in the liquid.

If it wasn’t too wet to begin with, the gravy should be pretty thick by the end. If it’s too runny you can turn the heat up and cook it down uncovered, or turn off the heat and stir in a couple tablespoons of cold butter (that has a nice flavor and thickening effect).

Nick

Explore some spices; they can add a lot of flavor without addind calories, sugars, trans fats, etc.

Crowbar

I used my crockpot all the time before it started to act up and before the price of beef went sky high. Pot Roast was one of my weekly meals. I used water and one of those “pot roast” flavor packets. Then I added the meat and pototoes and other veggies.

Delicious and tender!

Also, try beef stew and barbecue ribs (get the boneless ones). Let it cook all day and come home to a wonderful meal.

Hmmm…I need to get a newer and bigger crockpot so I can start cooking some of those good meals again.