T Nation

Pot and Bodybuilding

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
Boyle wrote:
Do you feel by flaming the poster that you’ll get your message across?

Don’t be a tool

No, that is not my point nor my motive. My point that I am trying to get across is that he, along with some of the other poster on this forum, are idiots.

They can either except this, or change it.
B

[/quote]

Stepping outside the “box of purity” does not make one an idiot.
Closing one’s mind to other possibilities does however.
You may think you’re all of that, because you’ve never tried any of that, but really you’re just an immature boy talking snot on the internet.

Brendan B all I can say is your experience of life will be significantly enhanced with a little experimentation. Not talking about some crackhead junkie, but a little weed now and again and a good few beers does the power of good.

Please do not assume that everyone that does not drink or smoke is a lame o.

I do not care if you smoke the stickiest of the icky, it does not affect me so it is none of my business.

i smoked pot for years, alot of pot! And you know what, eventually you start to question it just as the original poster is doing then you start to get sick of it, then you just quit. At least that is what happens to most of us as we grow up and get resposibilities, it is just a natural process, i would say if all you do is smoke a joint daily for relaxation don’t sweat it man, one day you will just decide you don’t want to anymore i would bet.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:

I have never touched a drug in my life, and I never will. I won’t even eat candy, or drink soda; I as sure as hell ain’t going to do drugs period.

[/quote]

I knew a guy that said this exact same thing freshman year in college.

Of course he became an alcoholic/drug abuser and dropped out halfway through junior year.

Moderation is the key to life when it comes to vices.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Stepping outside the “box of purity” does not make one an idiot.
Closing one’s mind to other possibilities does however.
You may think you’re all of that, because you’ve never tried any of that, but really you’re just an immature boy talking snot on the internet. [/quote]

I would agree that it is human nature to make mistakes, and mistakes are part of life. Although, if we do not learn from our mistakes, and revert back to them, knowing we have made a mistake, then we have failed ourselves.

As for thinking I am all that, I am nothing close to it. I have my flaws, and my mistakes, but I do my best to learn from them and not reiterate them.

End of story,
B

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
Boyle wrote:
Do you feel by flaming the poster that you’ll get your message across?

Don’t be a tool

No, that is not my point nor my motive. My point that I am trying to get across is that he, along with some of the other poster on this forum, are idiots.

They can either except this, or change it.
B

[/quote]

It’s one thing to go through life continuously drunk and high. It’s quite another thing to let loose from time to time and have some fun. Exactly where has your complete teetoler, abstinent philosophy gotten you? As far as size, strength, academics, and otherwise? Think you’re really so much better off then those who study hard, lift hard, and sometimes party hard? It’s fine for someone to refuse to ingest any substance, but to say they are superior because of it or others are somehow worse off is blatantly ridiculous.

Brendan B,
I’m twice your age and probably twice as “uptight” or “old-fashioned” as you when it comes to substance abuse, but let me point out that it was possible for me to get the same point across about pot-smoking vs. working out without insulting someone and starting a flame war that seriously derailed someone else’s thread. Now it’s all about you and/or intolerance rather than persuading Kael231 to see the situation in a mature manner.

“That was badly done.”

[quote]TShaw wrote:
Brendan B,
I’m twice your age and probably twice as “uptight” or “old-fashioned” as you when it comes to substance abuse, but let me point out that it was possible for me to get the same point across about pot-smoking vs. working out without insulting someone and starting a flame war that seriously derailed someone else’s thread. Now it’s all about you and/or intolerance rather than persuading Kael231 to see the situation in a mature manner.

“That was badly done.”[/quote]

TShaw, you are correct; I did come off a little hash around the edges didn’t I? I apologize, but, I still stand firm in my opinions.

Good luck Kael231, and I hope you will be able to break your habit,
B

[quote]TShaw wrote:
Brendan B,

“That was badly done.”[/quote]

Since when is it pot-smoking vs working out?

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
In my opinion, anyone that smokes anything, whether it be cigarette or crack, deserves to die. How could somebody do that shit to there body, and think nothing of it? You want to gain weight and be healthy? Quit that shit.

I have never touched a drug in my life, and I never will. I won’t even eat candy, or drink soda; I as sure as hell ain’t going to do drugs period.

Get you life together and your act,
B[/quote]

Well, don’t you feel special. Go join MADD and whine to them then. This is exactly the ignorant post that Randman warned about. Come back when the stick is out of your little Puritan ass.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
In my opinion, anyone that smokes anything, whether it be cigarette or crack, deserves to die. How could somebody do that shit to there body, and think nothing of it? You want to gain weight and be healthy? Quit that shit.

Get you life together and your act,
B[/quote]

Thank you Your Divine Majesty. Who the fuck are you to tell me I deserve to die? I don’t kill people or rape little kids, I smoke a little pot…I guess I can see where that would justify me deserving to die…

I DO want to gain weight and be healthy, however you obviously know nothing of the statistics among crack, alcohol, cigarettes, and weed…cigarettes are responsible for over 400,000 deaths in the U.S each year. 75,000 deaths are alcohol-related. Marijuana causes approximately…no wait, exactly ZERO deaths a year, wait…I meant EVER. It hasn’t even been proven to cause any type of health hazard including lung disease and heart disease.

HOWEVER, I do think that it could be slowing me down from reaching my goals so I know that I need to stop…however long it may take.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
TShaw wrote:
Brendan B,

“That was badly done.”

TShaw, you are correct; I did come off a little hash around the edges didn’t I? I apologize, but, I still stand firm in my opinions.

B

[/quote]

Apology accepted, and thank you for your support.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
TShaw wrote:
Brendan B,

“That was badly done.”

B
[/quote]

Actually you came off like a little snot nosed know it all prick. Nothing pisses me off more than extremes, Learn to live in the grey a little dude, thats where humans thrive.

V

[quote]Kael231 wrote:

I DO want to gain weight and be healthy, however you obviously know nothing of the statistics among crack, alcohol, cigarettes, and weed…cigarettes are responsible for over 400,000 deaths in the U.S each year. 75,000 deaths are alcohol-related. Marijuana causes approximately…no wait, exactly ZERO deaths a year, wait…I meant EVER. It hasn’t even been proven to cause any type of health hazard including lung disease and heart disease.

[/quote]

Well, it has been linked to impaired lung function and diseases such as emphysema, though how conclusively is arguable. Not lung cancer though. Moderation is the key. Aside from health issues, being high all the time is not the way you should go through life in my opinion. There were times in my life such as periods in college where I smoked a lot of pot. These days I just smoke occasionally, and I think I’m better for it and don’t have any less fun.

[quote]Kael231 wrote:
[/quote]
A buddy of mine had two of his close neighbors die last June on the same night smoking pot. I have seen what drugs do to people, what it turns them into, and how it affects their lives, and it is a road I personally do not want to go down, let alone see other people go down. It is not only a waste of time and money, it is unhealthy; and, in addition to all that, it is down right gross. Look at how many elite athletes do drugs, it is less than 1/10 of 1%. What the majority of them have in common is self-respect.

Gain self respect, and, as phony as this sounds, your heart will guide you,
B

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
Kael231 wrote:

A buddy of mine had two of his close neighbors die last June on the same night smoking pot. I have seen what drugs do to people, what it turns them into, and how it affects their lives, and it is a road I personally do not want to go down, let alone see other people go down. It is not only a waste of time and money, it is unhealthy; and, in addition to all that, it is down right gross. Look at how many elite athletes do drugs, it is less than 1/10 of 1%. What the majority of them have in common is self-respect.

Gain self respect, and, as phony as this sounds, your heart will guide you,
B
[/quote]

I really do appreciate your input and what you have to say.

I don’t know if you were trying to link your friend’s neighbor’s death to pot but…sorry to say that pot isn’t what killed him, unless it was laced with coke or some other deadly drug. Maybe it could impair lung capacity over long periods of time but there is no such thing as ODing on pot and dying. The worst that could happen if you smoked the dankest of the dank is passing out and getting the best night’s sleep of your life.

All of the marijuana users I know (people who smoke on a semi-consistent basis… I’d say once a week or more) are smokers as well. The marijuana always came first before the smoke. Food for thought eh?

As far as being able to even function with marijuana in your system, kudos to you. I react horribly to it. I get the “you’ve had a concussion” type feeling of disorientation and forgetfulness for days afterwards. I hate that.

I tend to agree that marijuana is no worse for you than alcohol. However, the lifesytle that usually accompanies pot smoking is different than the one that accompanies drinking. The social moirees are different, and I think that has a far greater impact than the substance itself. You have to cut lose every once and while, but it sounds to me like you’re using it as a crutch. It’s your “happy” supplement. Other people fail to eat enough yet buy NOX or whatever and use it as their “muscle” supplement to offset their inability to consume enough food.

I’d say approach it like anything else in life that you want to stop. Cut it down slowly, and don’t try to make unrealistic decisions like “I will never smoke again.” Or, what you could do is set it up so come weekend time, you can get ultra blazed, but come back into the following week smoking nothing until Friday. This would be far better than the dependency it seems you’ve developed.

[quote]zdrax wrote:
All of the marijuana users I know (people who smoke on a semi-consistent basis… I’d say once a week or more) are smokers as well. The marijuana always came first before the smoke. Food for thought eh?

[/quote]

Almost none of the people I know that smoke pot on the weekends smoke cigarettes.

Some of us can function with it, some of us can’t. I just keep it to once every couple weeks, and I do fine. As for OD’ing on it, the only way to do it is to eat too much. A friend of mine had to get her stomach pumped because she ate a few too many brownies. It is obviously not good for you, as breathing in any combusted material isn’t healthy. However, it is no equal or better than alcohol for you. Moderation is the key.

B… you need to take it easy man. Smoking pot is just a choice, just like working out is. We are still productive members of society, just like you (except we smoke pot).

Kael, if cutting back is what you want to do, then do it. Wish you luck man.