Posture

This is part-gripe, part informative, so I almost put this in the get a life section.
Back in my younger and less-experienced days at the gym I developed the typical high school syndrome: A protracted shoulder. The advice given to me at that time to correct it was to do a lot of reverse flyes. Fast forward years later, the problem was never fixed. Fast forward even a bit more to the start of the workout I was doing when I originally posted my “softer side” thread that you all love to tear me apart in, and my problem wasn’t fixed. I was in the gym staring at myself and flexing in the mirror, the only thing missing being my dog, and I realized something…even though I was getting a bit chubbier and my stomach is more pronounced due to Massive Eating, my protracted shoulder for the most part was gone. WHile it’s not the perfect scapulae-pinched-together look we strive for it was for the first time what I would consider acceptable and even led to a few comments that I was developing a V-Shape. So while the Waterbury Program I’m doing right now is much more effective than the dumb one one I was doing before, I have to thank the author of the original one for doing one thing: Getting me to deadlift. Don’t underestimate deadlifts, even if you can’t do a lot of weight with them yet (I still haven’t gone over the 200lb barrier yet), just do them, and your posture will thank you.

Jason

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
WHile it’s not the perfect scapulae-pinched-together look we strive for it was for the first time what I would consider acceptable and even led to a few comments that I was developing a V-Shape.[/quote]

I’ve also noticed huge differences in my posture since I started training. (I’m about six months in now… I think. Maybe seven or eight. I’d have to check the training log.) I didn’t even realise how shitty my posture was until it improved, and I realised I had been slouching a good two or three inches off my height. Maybe we should make more noise about this aspect of weight training; it might get more women interested in it.

Hopefully doing those one-arm fuck-me rows across from the squat rack.