T Nation

Posture Exercises I Can Do At Home?

Do any of you guys do some of the stuff from the Neanderthal No More series at home? If so, what do you do?

What kind of postural issues are you having? What do you do for a living or what do you do a lot throughout your day... sit a lot in front of a computer, lift lots of boxes/children, style hair? There's lots of good exercises and stretches that can be of help to posture that you can do at home... but the question you need to ask is which ones would help you?

You should be incorporating postural exercises into your training session on your days off, and if your posture is in need of a make over, use them everyday. Your going to need to have your posture in gear to make decent gains, whatever your goals may be.

All of the GPP exercises we outlined in NNM IV can be performed at home, and stretching will go a long way in getting you to where you want to be as well.

I had surgery for a herniated disk years ago largely a result of poor posture at my computer at work, and years of heavy weightlifting using not-so-great form.

It will take time, but here's a couple tips.

Working out:
Superman pose. Basically exercise you perform, you should be in something of a superman pose, with your chest sticking out and your shoulders square.
If you make a conscious effort to do this, it will help a lot.

Dance:
Believe it or not, taking a dance class will radically change your posture in a good way...and it comes in handy at weddings and parties when the rest of the tools are doing the macarena.
Lindy Hop is great....or any other ballroom dance.

Work:
If you sit at a computer or something, same thing as working out...superman pose. Butt all the way back in your chair with a support for your lower back that keeps you at a slight arch.

Also, a great technique for improving posture and getting rid of various pains naturally is the McKenzie Method:
http://www.mckenziemdt.org/

Hope some of that helps.