Postural Imbalance: Left Shoulder Sitting Higher, Hips & Shoulders Both Off

Ok guys so I’m going to try and give as much information as possible because I’m desperate for some help here. I’ve been dealing with an imbalance for years causing issues between the left and right side of my body. Saw multiple people and spent a lot of money with no success.
First off does anybody know of an expert specifically on posture I could get advice from online?

So here’s a rundown of what’s going on with my body. When looking in the mirror my left shoulder seems to be sitting quite a bit higher and also looks pulled forward. When Benching, lying down my left side is elevated causing bench to be extremely uneven. When doing standing military press I feel the movement hitting my right delt normally but destroying my left front deltoid. Left delt is locking out higher, closer overhead. When doing any lat exercise it has become impossible to contract my lats together, left side hits a stretched position well before right on pulldowns. Basically struggle to do any upper body exercise as it’s impossible to isolate both sides evenly as this point. When squatting I can tell the bar is sitting on my traps unevenly. Leg exercises are hitting my quads in extremely different ways causing discomfort. Arm exercises are horrible because again the postural imbalance has destroyed any hope of feeling both sides work.

I’m 90% sure I have some type of imbalance/overactive side in a muscle/muscles between the left and right side. I haven’t found anybody to help in person including various “professionals” I’ve seen. After research I’m thinking possibly one oblique is lacking big time? Which one needs to be trained and what should I do? Could have been caused by overuse of my right arm at physical jobs, not sure.

Looking for some advice or protocol or somebody who has dealt with something like this. Also if anybody needs more information or knows a professional I could talk to via email I would love that as well!

Thanks guys!

1 Like

You’re on the right track dude!

There is an issue with your abs and obliques, and some overuse/underuse or “imbalances” that are twisting your torso, so your shoulders and pelvis are not lined up properly. If this has been going on for awhile your diaphragm and the way you breathe can be “off” so each time you inhale you’re reinforcing the twist.

The Postural Restoration Institute (PRI) knows all about these issue. They’ve got a bunch of techniques to

Get your spine neutral, use your abs and breathe into your diaphragm

Relearn to use your hamstrings and glutes and not your hip flexors

Fire up your adductor to restore Internal Rotation on the high side

Clamshell to restore external rotation on the low side

Breathing and reaching to keep your shoulder from rolling up off the bench

Walk properly

And reach overhead