Postural Corrections Using Established Routines

I’ve looked at both Neanderthal No More by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson (Neanderthal No More - Part 1 - Bigger Stronger Leaner - COMMUNITY - T NATION) and a posture video by Jeff Cavaliere
https://youtu.be/g-7ZWPCWv0U

Both are by well respected individuals, I was looking for opinions on the approaches they take (Eric having a full routine and more volume than Jeff, who focuses on far less volume but really controlling the exercise…”10 sets of 1 instead of 1 set of 10”)

I’d like to start but have been told it’s best not to do exercises you can’t do correctly until form is correct or you’ll establish bad patterns. I’m confused over how doing just the exercises Jeff prescribes is enough. His client in the video has seen incredible progress in a few months, but surely he did more than just these 4?

1. Get strong by following a good training program. Usually bad posture=weakness and no amount of stretching or corrective work will lead to improvements. Speaking out of experience.
  2. Add in some posture work during warm-ups/on off days. It doesn’t really matter which one you do. I’ve had the best results by doing a routine until it doesn’t work for me any more, then switching to a new one. I’d post pictures if I had them, but I used to have severely kyphotic posture.
  3. Pay attention to how you sit/stand throughout the day. Chris Colucci (a smart and handsome fella) once told me “walk like you’re wearing a cape”, which I find helpful.
  4. Don’t overthink things.

then don’t do his program. if you don’t believe in it, it’s not for you. If you believe in it, do it exactly as he says to do it. If you’re going to second guess what he says, clearly you shouldn’t be listening to him. There are a zillion quality strength coaches out there. Just follow the advice of one of them. Switch to another later if you want. You’re over thinking it.

You also don’t have to have perfect form before exercising. That wouldn’t even make sense. You groove perfect form over a long period of time by exercising, completing reps with challenging weights. Perfect form without weight on the bar doesn’t translate to anything useful. The best thing you can do for yourself is jump head first into a program.

I attended a Kabuki Movement Seminar this weekend with Chris Duffin’s guys.

One of the things they taught was when you catch yourself in bad posture, take the time to correct it, and then move on with your day. As you do this more often, your body will just stand in the corrected posture till its the norm.

Same with breathing. Being too worried about your breathing will mess it up and possibly cause it to be shallow, but moments of 20-50 controlled breaths a day will correct any shallow breathing.