Posterior Pelvic Tilt and MRI Results

I’ve posted before about my issue. I have a self-diagnosed posterior pelvic tilt. This has caused my lumbar to flatten instead of having the natural inward curve. It also changes the way the vertabrae roll and function as a group and my lumbar section bends as one whole unit instead of rolling when I bend. I also experience pretty bad sciatic bad because of the vertabrae being angled improperly. I am not sure what caused what, whether my tight hamstrings caused my PPT or vice-versa.

It feels better after exercise (I can do most recommended exercises for hip mobility etc. apart from any forward bending, toy soldiers, etc.), and good when laying in certain positions. Standing for long periods can be bad (was terrible but slowly improving), sitting/driving is bad. I am a decently healthy BMI male. Not overly active …

I had an MRI and the results are (I will write exactly what is written):
No previous. 5 lumbar vertabrae. The conus ends at L1. it has 1 normal appearance.
There is a focal central and right posterolateral disc protrusion at L5-S1. It is small to moderate in terms of size. It measures 1 4 cm [do they mean “1.4cm”??] at its base and 0.5cm in maximal AP dimension. It is causing mild distortion of the thecal sac and is compressing the traversing right S5 nerve root. There are no further significant findings.
OPINION:
Right posterolateral disc protrusion at L5-S1 compressing the traversing right S1 nerve root.
END

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Anything (…) is appreciated.

“There is a focal central and right posterolateral disc protrusion at L5-S1. It is small to moderate in terms of size. It measures 1 4 cm [do they mean “1.4cm”??] at its base and 0.5cm in maximal AP dimension. It is causing mild distortion of the thecal sac and is compressing the traversing right S5 nerve root.”

This sounds like the issue, but it doesn’t sound like it has progressed to far. Good for you for not being a hero and getting an MRI.

What I can make of it there was no mention of degeneration or herniation. It’s sounds like good old fashion bulging discs, but it doesn’t sound like the disc is compromised yet. When i had something similar, I went to a PT who basically said “Do back bends” further, yoga style push ups (hips on the floor, push up, exhale).
The goal is to push the jelly inside the disc forward and take the pressure off back wall. Of course, if you have an MRI, you have a Dr. not some dumbass of the internet.

My PT told me to do those as well (he calls them ‘sloppy push ups’). I’m also doing a bunch of hip mobility exercises and foam rolling my hamstrings.

My doctor assessed the MRI and just went on google while I was sitting there and explained where the parts were. He told me two basic stretches and said that was the extent of his knowledge. Thankfully I have a PT who takes pretty aggressive treatment sessions and has me on a few exercises. It’s good to hear from other people on the interweb and the professionals who use this too.

Plenty of experience with sciatic pain

Exercises mentioned are familiar / excellent but they are only prehab / rehab, you also need to build the strength required to stablize your back.

Also have flat lumbar but this rolling your spine when bending sounds pretty dangourous to me unless its just for activation or releasing pressure.

But loaded you need have all your stabilization muscles (and there are quite a number) locking your spine in position so it does not flex and remains fixed in relation to your hips (which bends on your legs not back)

Squating and DL are working well for me now with my lumber region being the only area without soreness (but abs working like situps never did)