T Nation

Posterior Delts - Shoulders or Back?

To those who do split routines, do you group your rear delts with your shoulders or your back? Obviously being a delt they are “shoulder muscles” but considering their range of motion and how they tend to be both underdeveloped and overpowered by other muscles, I’ve been thinking that doing them at the end of a back workout would be most effective to target them specifically.

Thoughts?

me personally, just started doing them on back and shoulder days to really hammer those puppies

I agree, I do them at the end of back workouts as it makes more sense to me - usually just rear db raises lying on an incline bench, so that the stress on my lower back is reduced

Shoulders-Anterior Delts / Back-Posterior Delts

i train them first on my shoulder and back days

I do them both days. I like to start my shoulder work out with moderately heavy rear db raises. On back days, I finish with hanging swings JM style for 30+ reps per set.

I train them on PULL DAY (Back, Bi’s, Rear Delts).

But cramming these many BPs in the same session gets time consuming else some parts just have to have volume cycled up/down.

Easy, shoulder and back day with tons of volume.

When I’m feel good on pull ups, I’ll target them with sternum pulls or chins. If I’m not feeling bodyweight stuff on a given day, I’ll hit them with BORs. I do RDFs at the end of a workout with higher volume to get the pump up. I find that rowing type exercises in general have helped the most for me.

I guess you could say I lump em in with back work, and I don’t have a shoulder-specific day anyway.

Chest/Shoulder on the same day

Most of the time After chest I hit side delts then rear

Looks like im part of the minority lol

[quote]zraw wrote:
Chest/Shoulder on the same day

Most of the time After chest I hit side delts then rear

Looks like im part of the minority lol[/quote]

and you have the best goddamn shoulders

it’s sickens me!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Chest/Shoulder on the same day

Most of the time After chest I hit side delts then rear

Looks like im part of the minority lol[/quote]

and you have the best goddamn shoulders

it’s sickens me![/quote]

synthol

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Chest/Shoulder on the same day

Most of the time After chest I hit side delts then rear

Looks like im part of the minority lol[/quote]

and you have the best goddamn shoulders

it’s sickens me![/quote]

synthol[/quote]

I knew it!

with shoulders

I have been finding the most success splitting chest + front/medial delts, and then training rear delts after back day.

But, few people have overpowering rear delts. Can’t hurt to hit 'em twice if possible.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I have been finding the most success splitting chest + front/medial delts, and then training rear delts after back day.

But, few people have overpowering rear delts. Can’t hurt to hit 'em twice if possible.[/quote]

Yep. I have NEVER seen “rear delts” that were too big.

I have seen side delts…but they were synthol. I have never seen “unsynthol” shoulders that are too big ever. You would have to look like a cartoon to build them “too big”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:
I have been finding the most success splitting chest + front/medial delts, and then training rear delts after back day.

But, few people have overpowering rear delts. Can’t hurt to hit 'em twice if possible.[/quote]

Yep. I have NEVER seen “rear delts” that were too big.

I have seen side delts…but they were synthol. I have never seen “unsynthol” shoulders that are too big ever. You would have to look like a cartoon to build them “too big”.[/quote]

shoulders make the physique, definitely

Shoulder day, first exercise a la meadows style. lots of volume.

On back i manage to give them some love with different row variations. I guess it comes down to mmc when doing back workouts.

if i a do a seated row and think about my lats pulling the weight they do, but with the same movement or a slight alteration in arm positioning you can but some stress on the rear delt as well.

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
Easy, shoulder and back day with tons of volume.[/quote]

Does large amount of volume work for you? What does your volume for posterior delts look like if you don’t mind me asking?

Well this all sounds like reasonable advice. I wasn’t expecting a lot of “both” answers, but I see the wisdom in it. I have some ideas on how to make this work.