T Nation

Post Your Post-Workout Calories

How many calories do you consume after an intense weightlifting workout?

500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1000+???

What do you think is the largest number you can consume without fat gain considering youve done a respectable workout (which includes the great compound lifts of course)?

I usually consume about 400 cals in my PW shake (60g CHO 40g Prot).

I can’t be certain but I seem to remember a paper a few years back that mentioned 800 cals as the max amount someone should consume pwo.

I have no backing for that figure, I’ll look back into the notes to see if I can find out how that number jumped into my brain.

C

well are you talking the post workout window? i’ve read recently that this window of opportunity can actually be up to 24 hours. its on Chad Waterbury’s double tap i believe. as for me, i take in a Grow! bar as i am leaving the gym, and when i get home i eat approx 800-1000 calories of chicken and rice.

Surge prior, Surge or similar P=C breakdown immediate post, then 1 hour after that 800-900 k/cals of clean P+C

Thats my method. Guess you just have to find what works for you however.

I usually eat around 600 calories from instant oatmeal, skim milk & whey.

[quote]trap_builder wrote:
What do you think is the largest number you can consume without fat gain?[/quote]

Your body doesn’t gain fat simply based off of one meal. If all you had that day was one meal that was less than your overall maintenance caloric intake for that day, would you gain body fat? No, you wouldn’t.

700 calories
73g protein
76g carbs
7g fat

My total peri-workout caloric intake is around 1000 calories (I strive for 1000, and sometimes get 1200). This includes my 1/2 serving of Surge during workout, full serving of Surge post-wo, and the food I eat in the hour after my post-wo Surge (fruit, cereal, raisins, protein, etc.).

544 calorie PWO shake: 100 g carbs (malto and dex) 36 g whey protein. trace fat. A whole foods P + C meal within an hour. Usually, sooner rather than later. It could be anything. Oatmeal and Low-Carb Grow!, chicken and rice, etc…usually 400 calories. Another P + C meal when I’m hungry again. I beleive in eating big the couple hours post-workout. Out of my 4000 calories, I probably eat half of them in the 3-4 hours after working out.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
trap_builder wrote:
What do you think is the largest number you can consume without fat gain?

Your body doesn’t gain fat simply based off of one meal. If all you had that day was one meal that was less than your overall maintenance caloric intake for that day, would you gain body fat? No, you wouldn’t. [/quote]

Yes you would (if that meal had a great calorie excess), but you would later burn it because of the fact you are not eating more meals that day.

I tend to eat 800 to 1000 calories after working out which is the amount when i begin to feel very full.

I remember I read in one of Chad Waterbury’s articles that we should consume about 800kcal at breakfast and postworkout.