Post Your Obamacare Story

Does anyone have an idea how the insurance companies and big pharma work together? It would seem that they would be at odds. Big pharma seems to have no financial incentive to cure diseases as they would seem to make more money on managing symptoms. However, insurance companies have to pay for a portion of this medical extortion. Anyone have an intimate view on this?

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
Big pharma seems to have no financial incentive to cure diseases as they would seem to make more money on managing symptoms. [/quote]

Except in the real world where the patent on a cure for a significant disease is worth much, much more than steady revenues over “keeping everyone sick” tinfoil hat theories.

400,000 people who got Obamacare subsidies can’t or won’t verify their eligibility or citizenship?
The illegal subsidies can’t or won’t be repaid?
No one knows what the cost will be?
The law will not be enforced?

“Most people don’t know they even got advance tax credits,” said Mark Ciaramitaro, vice president, health-care services at tax preparer H&R Block Inc. “They are going to be surprised and need to know what just happened, and a lot of people will be frustrated.”

Who could have predicted this?

Obama Tells GM That His Company’s Health Costs Are Rising Because He’s Not ‘Shopping’ Correctly.

Talk about insulting someone’s intelligence. You can literally see Obama stumble as he invents the lie as he is speaking.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Obama Tells GM That His Company’s Health Costs Are Rising Because He’s Not ‘Shopping’ Correctly.[/quote]

This Sunday we just had our partner meeting regarding insurance for our firm. It’s complex, in that we span multiple states and several countries.

In the USA, the non-Obamacare grandfathered plan went up 21%.

It’s a typical Blue Cross, high-deductible policy, then flat rate and no co-pay after deductible. We fund the employees HSA to the amount of their personal deductible (which is half of their family deductible).

A not-quite-as-good ObamaCare-compliant policy was almost exactly 1/3 more expensive.

In summary, “affordable” health care is 1/3 more expensive (and not as good) than normal insurance, and the price of normal insurance is going up as well.

Our insurance is picked by a team of very expert insurance lawyers.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

In summary, “affordable” health care is 1/3 more expensive (and not as good) than normal insurance, and the price of normal insurance is going up as well.

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

How anyone who thinks rather than feels didn’t see this coming is beyond me.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

How anyone who thinks rather than feels didn’t see this coming is beyond me. [/quote]

And yet my insurance has gone down for a better policy. Not “feels” but fact as evidenced by what is taken out of my check.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

How anyone who thinks rather than feels didn’t see this coming is beyond me. [/quote]

And yet my insurance has gone down for a better policy. Not “feels” but fact as evidenced by what is taken out of my check.
[/quote]

Could be any number of reasons… And one instance does not a rule make. MA has Obamacare when it was Romneycare and we have some of the highest premiums in the country and they don’t go down…

You can’t add services, add participants (some of whom are “subsidized” by the government) and expect the costs to go down. Economics don’t work like that.

So while you may have experienced this, which I doubt (as in I assume your employer is picking up the difference or found a group rate through their payroll service etc.), it isn’t the reported norm, and even my wife’s union bargained for Insurance is getting more expensive and much less worth the ass raping price we pay for it as time goes by.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

[/quote]

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/difs/MI_Rate_Change_Requests-IND_460430_7.pdf

Maybe a little bit of the feels going on…

More going up (by more in aggregate) than going down, and many more people enrolled in the “going up” plans than the going down plans.

In fact 92% of the “persons effected” are looking at a 7.9% increase or more, 73% or so looking at a 9% increase.

Now, maybe employers will eat this increase, but that doesn’t make the cost go up.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/difs/MI_Rate_Change_Requests-SG_460432_7.pdf

Small group rather than individual doesn’t look much better.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

[/quote]

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/difs/MI_Rate_Change_Requests-IND_460430_7.pdf

More going up (by more in aggregate) than going down, and many more people enrolled in the “going up” plans than the going down plans.

In fact 92% of the “persons effected” are looking at a 7.9% increase or more, 73% or so looking at a 9% increase.

Now, maybe employers will eat this increase, but that doesn’t make the cost go up.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/difs/MI_Rate_Change_Requests-SG_460432_7.pdf

Small group rather than individual doesn’t look much better. [/quote]

Hmm, I know for a fact my employer is not paying more. He told me as much and my portion is a percentage so if premiums go up at all I pay more. They did switch companies, but like I said better coverage for less.

Regardless, insurance premiums go up every year, typically 12-15%. So if they have gone up 8% that seems like a win.

I have a hunch there are feels going on here, but they are this boards feelings towards Obama at play here IMO.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

[/quote]

Small group rather than individual doesn’t look much better. [/quote]

The link you posted is for requested rate changes for 2015, not approved changes.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

lmao… Yup.

[/quote]

That’s because a lot of business got kicked into the ObamaCare risk pool. Those who get to stay, usually are slightly better off (this year, but had hikes last year).

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Regardless, insurance premiums go up every year, typically 12-15%. So if they have gone up 8% that seems like a win.

I have a hunch there are feels going on here, but they are this boards feelings towards Obama at play here IMO.
[/quote]

Yeah that’s it. He promised premiums would go down, but it’s anti Obama feels that are making them still go up…

But hey, they went up “less” (I assume your figures are sourced and correct) so that is almost like going down… right?

Year 1: $100 premium

15% increase

Year 2: $115

12% increase

Year 3: $129

8% increase

Year 4: 139

Yup… Still an increase. Pretty sure the fact I can recognize Obama sucks as president doesn’t effect math. He is pretty arrogant, but his boot lickers haven’t been able to change how math works yet.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

The link you posted is for requested rate changes for 2015, not approved changes.
[/quote]

You understand that government manipulation of price doesn’t actually help your argument right?

As in, if the government has to step in and force the prices down… That isn’t actually reducing prices, but rather showing how shit the AHA is… Because it requires government to actually dictate prices…

I mean, you get this.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/interactives-and-data/infographics/2012/premium-trends

This averages 6.65% from 2003 until 2011 in MI.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

You understand that government manipulation of price doesn’t actually help your argument right?

As in, if the government has to step in and force the prices down… That isn’t actually reducing prices, but rather showing how shit the AHA is… Because it requires government to actually dictate prices…

I mean, you get this. [/quote]

The largest insurer in Michigan has always had to get approval for rate increases and that has not changed. They are right in the middle of the pack.

Further the link you posted was somehow supposed to show that my insurance didn’t go down this year by showing rate increase requests for next year.

I am trying to look at this realistically, not according to what a politician said. If rate increases flatten or reduce drastically I am satisfied with that.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/interactives-and-data/infographics/2012/premium-trends

This averages 6.65% from 2003 until 2011 in MI.[/quote]

Fair enough, I was going by what my employers increases have been.