Post Your Obamacare Story

[quote]Zen Taco wrote:
This is just the step to crash private healthcare and get people asking the government for more intervention.[/quote]

Healthcare in the US crashed in the mid-nineties; of course if you’re younger than 40 you wouldn’t know. The ACA is certainly not the answer, but what was going on the last twenty years wasn’t much better.

In order to evaluate the efficacy of Obamacare, a rational assessment of the opportunity cost of the all the labor and capital that is being diverted - by mandate of government (i.e. at the point of a gun) - towards healthcare and away from whatever that L & C would otherwise be doing. Thus far, no Obamacare proponents have even advanced a framework for evaluating the program, let alone a proper framework that incorporates opportunity costs.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]Zen Taco wrote:
This is just the step to crash private healthcare and get people asking the government for more intervention.[/quote]

Healthcare in the US crashed in the mid-nineties; of course if you’re younger than 40 you wouldn’t know. The ACA is certainly not the answer, but what was going on the last twenty years wasn’t much better. [/quote]

And to the single payer deal… That would be asking a huge, and when I say huge, I mean HUGE, industry with a ton of money to just turn over and give up their revenues?

No, the individual mandate means no single payer. Because the individual mandate, much like with college tuition, means demand will always be there, and that means prices can go up. The revenue increases insurance companies will see over the next 10-15 years will prevent government from being able to take them over…

You think “Wall St” is evil and cronies? You haven’t seen anything yet.

Single payer doesn’t have a prayer until the babyboomers die, assuming birthrates stay depressed.

[quote]moroots wrote:
Thus far, no Obamacare proponents have even advanced a framework for evaluating the program, [/quote]

lmao…

Welcome to the spectacle that is government.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Zen Taco wrote:

Healthcare in the US crashed in the mid-nineties; of course if you’re younger than 40 you wouldn’t know. The ACA is certainly not the answer, but what was going on the last twenty years wasn’t much better. [/quote]

And to the single payer deal… That would be asking a huge, and when I say huge, I mean HUGE, industry with a ton of money to just turn over and give up their revenues?

No, the individual mandate means no single payer. Because the individual mandate, much like with college tuition, means demand will always be there, and that means prices can go up. The revenue increases insurance companies will see over the next 10-15 years will prevent government from being able to take them over…

Single payer doesn’t have a prayer until the babyboomers die, assuming birthrates stay depressed. [/quote]

The answer will be increasing the eligibility for medicaid to 10x the poverty level.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Zen Taco wrote:

Single payer doesn’t have a prayer until the babyboomers die, assuming birthrates stay depressed. [/quote]

The answer will be increasing the eligibility for medicaid to 10x the poverty level. [/quote]

Yeah, that would be the only way to do it is basically just make medicare/caid open enrollment.

The two problems with this is though:

1. Getting enough votes. Hi companies will buy a lot of favor
  2. the needed increases in payroll taxes will hit the voting base of both parties…

Unless the moment is right (national calamity maybe) single payer might end up being political suicide.

HOWEVER: I do willingly admit the leftist and statist have currently won the culture war, and we are likely to seen nothing but expansive government in our country until I die or am dragged to a re-education camp.

So given that, I could be wrong here.

(I apologize, it was the afl-cio not seiu)

I think what you’re seeing are the steps. We have to remember that you can’t walk in and make a complete change to the institution of government over night. If you look at the background and education of a lot of these politicians, it’s not exactly professing the beautiful aspects of America, Capitalism and the free market. Obamacare wasn’t written overnight, and I would not be at all surprised that it had been hiding away in someone’s desk for just the right moment. They’re already paying off insurance companies for the losses. I agree that the companies are a major hurdle, but what better way to get rid of them than to just price them out of the equation. We’ve got a huge debt that no one will seem to touch, so why not just keep piling it up? Remember, sensible decisions are hard to come by in government because someone might have to suffer for it. They could grow government enrollment by expanding medicare/medicaid and offer incentives to the people (sounds familiar, I know…). These points could be easily argued against, but from what we’ve seen so far, its obvious that it doesn’t matter much what the people or companies say or do. After all, Obama has a phone and a pen, right?

My company’s premiums rose this month by 14%; that makes 38% rise in the last 10 months without any adverse events reported.
Thank you, Mr. Obama.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
The biggest BamCare story in quite some time – this is hyooge, i.e., swole:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/07/22/A-Big-F-ing-Deal-D-C-Circuit-Strikes-Down-Federal-Obamacare-Subsidies[/quote]

I like it, but this is going up the chain all the way to the SCOUS.

Bamcare unpopularity hits all-time high.

I read the original article and it’s an excellent, unsentimental view of aging both on an individual level and on a societal one. It’s much, much more nuanced than breitbart.com would have us believe. It also raises some excellent points about aging and quality of life including the ways an aging individual can contribute to society while also recognizing their new limitations.

I think everyone should read it: Why I Hope to Die at 75 - The Atlantic

He is so god-damned sure of his every assertion, isn’t he?
“But the fact is that by 75, creativity, originality, and productivity are pretty much gone for the vast, vast majority of us.”
Based on whose judgments?

Maybe he would be better qualified to render his opinion on his 74th birthday.

But this is a sales job: after all, if he is ready to die at 75, everyone else should be, too.

Since I have passing acquaintance with this bombastic fraud, let me be the first to wish him well and to revise his timetables to reflect what I think of his creativity, originality, and productivity.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:
“But the fact is that by 75, creativity, originality, and productivity are pretty much gone for the vast, vast majority of us.”

But this is a sales job: after all, if he is ready to die at 75, everyone else should be, too.

Since I have passing acquaintance with this bombastic fraud, let me be the first to wish him well and to revise his timetables to reflect what I think of his creativity, originality, and productivity.[/quote]

Wow.

My 84 year old mother has been contributing for more than a decade – and continues to greatly contribute to – peoples’ lives and society in general.

What an asinine statement to make.[/quote]

You know who is also 84? WARREN BUFFET! Hmmm. I wonder how much money he has made during the last 9 years of his supposed “non-productive” years? I imagine with the stock market, he probably doubled his wealth in the last 9 years due to compounding interest and that racket he has going with CSX!

Unreal. The only thing left shocking in life is the truth…

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

Since I have passing acquaintance with this bombastic fraud, let me be the first to wish him well and to revise his timetables to reflect what I think of his creativity, originality, and productivity.[/quote]

Wow.

My 84 year old mother has been contributing for more than a decade – and continues to greatly contribute to – peoples’ lives and society in general.

What an asinine statement to make.[/quote]

You know who is also 84? WARREN BUFFET! Hmmm. I wonder how much money he has made during the last 9 years of his supposed “non-productive” years? I imagine with the stock market, he probably doubled his wealth in the last 9 years due to compounding interest and that racket he has going with CSX!

Unreal. The only thing left shocking in life is the truth…[/quote]

Let’s not be too hasty. I know there are politicians over 75…