Post Your Obamacare Story

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Here’s mine straight from the horse’s mouth a few seconds ago:

Friend of mine

Single 48 yr old female with preexisting conditions (Krohn’s disease) who makes well under the official poverty line income called the Montana Bamcare health exchange yesterday and spent one hour on the phone having her new health plan explained.

Bottom line:

$427 month premium which includes the federal subsidy.

She’s so excited to get this fabulous new affordable Affordable Health Care plan. She is absolutely plumb giddy to now have to come up with $5000 a year in premiums.
[/quote]

What was her previous coverage and cost and under what provider?

what’s the penalty? I haven’t checked since my insurance is the same according to HR.

H Factor,

What makes you think we wouldn’t foot the bill, even if she paid the penalty, which will be much cheaper than her monthly costs Push posted ? Not to mention the deductible.

From the standpoint of “us”, nothing has changed if her premiums are so high she can’t/won’t pay them.

Pretty sure my costs went up this past year for health/dental/vision insurance (through my employer - total for all went up, not sure about the individual breakdown) but not to any really significant extent. I can tell my company is a bit concerned though given the big “Health Awareness” initiative that has kicked off recently.

In regards to Crohn’s disease as a pre-existing condition, I was curious what typical costs look like so I found this for some background:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
1% of your income is the fine with a max of ~$1150 if I remember correctly.[/quote]

That’s backwards, kind of. The fine is the HIGHER of 1% of household income or $95 in 2014; $325 or 2% in 2015; and currently it is set to max out at $695 or 2.5% in 2016. Technically then, there is no maximum.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
H Factor,

What makes you think we wouldn’t foot the bill, even if she paid the penalty, which will be much cheaper than her monthly costs Push posted ? Not to mention the deductible.

From the standpoint of “us”, nothing has changed if her premiums are so high she can’t/won’t pay them.[/quote]

? I fully expect “us” to foot the bill. We will foot the bill as long as people can’t afford/won’t get some type of way for paying for health care as long as we’re a society that still tries to fix everyone.

Take a look at this. I wish I could claim I was more familiar with this doctor’s office as it’s just a short ways down the interstate from me, but I’ll give credit to Hannity for hearing it on his radio show earlier this week.

For just $50/month for an adult under 50, you can get all the general practitioner care you need. Have a kid? Add another $10 and they’re covered too. All routine appointments, sickness appointments, basic diagnostic procedures, and even urgent care services are covered. Add a catastrophic plan for $50-$100 a month and an individual can have everything they need in regards to medical care for $100-$150/month.

It simply is time to completely start over with federal health care. Scrap it all, return more money to the people, and let the private industry provide the solutions.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
Pretty sure my costs went up this past year for health/dental/vision insurance (through my employer - total for all went up, not sure about the individual breakdown) but not to any really significant extent. I can tell my company is a bit concerned though given the big “Health Awareness” initiative that has kicked off recently.

In regards to Crohn’s disease as a pre-existing condition, I was curious what typical costs look like so I found this for some background:

Mild Crohn’s can sometimes be treated with diet. Typical treatment now for moderate Crohn’s is a Humira injection once or twice monthly, or about $1800-2200 a month forever. If surgical intervention is required, that’s about $100k a pop, depending the the procedure and price charged by the healthcare provider. Surgical intervention also reduces the effectiveness of drug treatments like Humira and can spiral into other complications.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

Mild Crohn’s can sometimes be treated with diet. Typical treatment now for moderate Crohn’s is a Humira injection once or twice monthly, or about $1800-2200 a month forever. If surgical intervention is required, that’s about $100k a pop, depending the the procedure and price charged by the healthcare provider. Surgical intervention also reduces the effectiveness of drug treatments like Humira and can spiral into other complications. [/quote]

That sounds like it falls in line pretty well with what’s listed in the article - I believe we are speaking to the same point. The take home message IMO from the article and your (I presume) experience is that $5000 for somebody with that particular pre-existing condition does not look as bad as it does without that background.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

Mild Crohn’s can sometimes be treated with diet. Typical treatment now for moderate Crohn’s is a Humira injection once or twice monthly, or about $1800-2200 a month forever. If surgical intervention is required, that’s about $100k a pop, depending the the procedure and price charged by the healthcare provider. Surgical intervention also reduces the effectiveness of drug treatments like Humira and can spiral into other complications. [/quote]

That sounds like it falls in line pretty well with what’s listed in the article - I believe we are speaking to the same point. The take home message IMO from the article and your (I presume) experience is that $5000 for somebody with that particular pre-existing condition does not look as bad as it does without that background.[/quote]

This may be, but if she doesn’t pay how exactly are we different than we were before?

Love my Friend Push…but even after all these years, I can’t tell when he’s being sarcastic or not.

With that being said; if this was supposed to be a “ACA Horror Story” thread; those with Pre-Existing Conditions was probably not the best way to kick it off. One major focus of the ACA was those with Pre-Existing Conditions.

(Flame away, my friend…!)

Mufasa

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

That sounds like it falls in line pretty well with what’s listed in the article - I believe we are speaking to the same point. The take home message IMO from the article and your (I presume) experience is that $5000 for somebody with that particular pre-existing condition does not look as bad as it does without that background.[/quote]

I have some specific recent experience with a cost-of-care treatment plan for a Crohn’s patient so I thought I’d chime in. I guess my point generally in this post and the other thread on the shutdown is that the underlying costs of care drive premiums and bills add up fast when someone is sick. And any company that insures a Crohn’s patient for $5k a year is going to take it in the shorts forever on that particular patient so the costs need to be sufficiently spread to healthy people to make a company viable who insures patients like this one.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

This may be, but if she doesn’t pay how exactly are we different than we were before?

[/quote]

Hypothetically, if individuals do not pay and never pay, we are in the exact same porous boat we were in before.

However, as individuals are hit with the same bills they see today (especially those that exceed their ability to pay), I imagine they would reach a point where it would be more attractive to pay for insurance than continually be bled dry by collection agencies. In that case, the collective is better off than it was before, as there is now $X000+ more in the general fund. Even if they take more out than they put in, it’s better than putting in nothing.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:

[/quote]

Hypothetically, if individuals do not pay and never pay, we are in the exact same porous boat we were in before.

However, as individuals are hit with the same bills they see today (especially those that exceed their ability to pay), I imagine they would reach a point where it would be more attractive to pay for insurance than continually be bled dry by collection agencies. In that case, the collective is better off than it was before, as there is now $X000+ more in the general fund. Even if they take more out than they put in, it’s better than putting in nothing.[/quote]

Might be some truth to this. Also for every person who probably won’t pay (Push’s scenario) we should get some who are willing to pay who might have cost other people big money. Either way it will definitely be interesting to watch this play out over time.

We get what we vote for. I tried to warn everybody…

My wife has a friend with a pre-existing condition and she got a notice that her rate was $560/month. I think she only make $55k a year.

She was considering not having insurance and choosing a health savings account, and then she learned the fine for not having insurance assessed on her tax bill. Then they can suspend your driver’s license and put a federal tax lien on your home if you are delinquent.

Shes probably happy she gets to live longer now…I hear all the up roar but wheres the solution over 30+ yrs? The old system was fucked… Not everyone works for big corporations and has sweet benys…Im hopeing the obama care thing works out and Im at least hopefull… I’ve been self employed for 7+ years and supported my family through 3 child births nemorouss vacinations + my own personal injuries due to sports and shit… So far 3 surgerys and I can tell you this… Insurance co’s will do everything to deny coverage, not pay for stuff, or disregard preventative care… The old system sucked cost me 1000’s if anything something new could be better…What we had before was a shitty system that let Billiondollar Insurance co’s keep out people that needed insurance to cover med expenses… People shouldnt have die or live in pain becuase they arent rich… Nor should regular guys like me be forced into dropping 30K when we have a accident…Maybe obamacare will suck worse if it does hopefully it teachs the assholes in the governemnet to stop acting like bitches sit in a room a figure out some shit that works for all Americans not just the fucksticks that live in the hamptons that keep there fat pasty white asses in office… IMO healthcare and capitalism will never truly mix… It will be interesting to see how things work out in California I think they may be going for a single payer system