Post Your Favorite Paintings

Goya

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Hans Gude[/quote]

wow that looks like a picture. The detail in the clouds and the mountain is crazy

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Goya[/quote]

I’m scared.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Goya

I’m scared.[/quote]

x2

I just can’t seem enjoy Bosch or Goya. Too much suffering & deadly sins in their paintings.

Another favorite.

Winter by Giuseppe Arcimboldo.

The Librarian by Arcimboldo (1556)

oath of the horatii

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
oath of the horatii

[/quote]

Thats another favorite of mine.

http://alexgrey.com/a-gallery/8-24/painting.jpg
http://www.alexgrey.com/a-gallery/8-24/theologue.jpg

“A Friend in Need” by Cassius Marcellus Coolidge

Perhaps the most famous of Coolidge’s paintings, it depicts seven dogs sitting around a table playing poker in the wee morning hours. It derives its name from the bulldog handing an ace under the table to his friend. With that additional ace, the dog with his back to the viewer will have four aces.

• P.S I just love poker… can’t get enough of it.

Vincent van Gogh: Starry Night

Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh has risen to the peak of artistic achievements. Although Van Gogh sold only one painting in his life, the aftermath of his work is enormous. Starry Night is one of the most well known images in modern culture as well as being one of the most replicated and sought after prints.

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
The Librarian by Arcimboldo (1556)[/quote]

Thats a really cool painting.

Tetsuya Ishida

Tetsuya Ishida

“Blue Bottle” - by Mark Collins

Not my favorite, but it’s still amazing. (It’s not a photo btw.)

Chuck Close - Big Self Portrait

He has a whole bunch of stunning portraits.

I’ve seen this one in person, and the story behind it I find fascinating.

It is done by Raphael in fresco(?) and includes representations of many of the great philosophers of the time (Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras, etc.).

Something that I didn’t see included in the wiki that the tour guide told us was that Raphael finished before Michaelangelo did the Sistine Chapel. Once Raphael saw Michaelangelo’s work, he went back and added the rival painter into the painting as a sign of respect, front and just left of center.

Raphael also seems to be peaking out at his audience on the right side.

The Last Judgement, Michelangelo

Also in fresco.

Some cool background stories here as well. A self portrait of Michelangelo. An unflattering depiction of a Monsignor who censored the work. Angels are ferrying souls to heaven on the left and to hell on the right.

Michelangelo was brilliant in his view of the male body, but since he had never seen a woman in the nude, he painted them as men with breasts.

this.