Post Workout Shakes

I’m trying to figure out the best way to do my post workout shake on the cheap. So far i’ve read various conflicting information on whats best. Then I read John B’s post workout shake articles and just ended up being confused, and being highly suspectible to mind control (and i suspect subliminal advertising) went out and bought a pallet of Surge.

ok so maybe not :slight_smile: while i’m sure surge is a great drink i really can’t afford it. Is anyone able to give me some basic guide lines on what to do, or suggestions on what they are currently doing? or is just slamming down my regular protien drink after a workout good enough?

Get some chocolate milk and a powerade/gatorade, and have your protien shake with that.

Search the forum - there’s been a few threads discussing this.

You need the fast acting carbs in addition to the protein PWO.

Several people have suggested chocolate milk as a decent alternative. There was actually an article talking about its benefits as a PWO shake in Men’s Health a month or two ago.

Whey, Gatorade and a banana.

From the research, .8 grams of carbs and .4 grams of protein (per pound of bodyweight) for your shake.

My first solid meal would be egg whites and russet potatoes grilled with as little added fat as possible.

Maybe a good amount of raisins and another banana (No! Not mixed in with your eggs).

so scrambled banana, raisin and egg omelets then? sounds delicious :slight_smile:

seriously though thanks, that seems like a lot of carbs in one shake. looks like I was way off.

A serving of Surge is only about $2.10 (ten servings are $21).

No matter what else you use - to get the same protein grams from chocolate milk plus the carbs from gatorade or whatever you are only going to be able to save a few pennies and have a much less effective Post workout shake.

Surge is the best product of it’s type on the market. Are you really that hard-up for cash that a $2 product is out of your price range?

If so, I’d STILL use Surge,but maybe have just a half serving ($1) or save it for your hardest workout of the week.

But I’d be suprised if you got a chocolate milk and a gatorade for less than $2.

Hi 10,

If it was only $2.10 I might consider it, by the time you get the stuff in australia it ends up being $7.40 per serve (maybe a little less if you bought in bulk), which is just crazy. There is noooo way my megre student budget can afford that after every workout.

[quote]ChickenSalad wrote:
so scrambled banana, raisin and egg omelets then? sounds delicious :slight_smile:

seriously though thanks, that seems like a lot of carbs in one shake. looks like I was way off. [/quote]

Just a note… In my post, I said banana and raisins NOT mixed with your eggs. I knew ahead of time someone would write that.

[quote]derek wrote:
From the research, .8 grams of carbs and .4 grams of protein (per pound of bodyweight) for your shake.[/quote]

I think its actually .8g carbs/kg of bodyweight, and .4g protein/kg of bodyweight.

Personally, I use Whey Protein (24g), Maltodextrin (24g) and Dextrose (24g). It’s as close to Surge as I’m gonna get on my cheap student budget as well.

[quote]ChickenSalad wrote:
Hi 10,

If it was only $2.10 I might consider it, by the time you get the stuff in australia it ends up being $7.40 per serve (maybe a little less if you bought in bulk), which is just crazy. There is noooo way my megre student budget can afford that after every workout.[/quote]

Didn’t realize you were in Australia.
I hear ya that sucks. Surge is good but for over 3 times the price? Nah…

In the past I’ve used a couple of scoops of whey with a generic carb fuel drink.

Just Whey Protein and Maltodextrin in a 1:2 ratio protein to carbs
Or if you dont have the money just add powdered milk from the grocery store to chocolate milk. Powdered milk is essentially the same as whey protein.

[quote]derek wrote:

Just a note… In my post, I said banana and raisins NOT mixed with your eggs. I knew ahead of time someone would write that.

[/quote]
sorry Derek i did read that, i just couldn’t help myself…

Seriously though, thanks for all the input guys. Your help is appreciated.

Post workout, I use a shake with:

Trim Milk, Classic Grow!, honey, one cup of oats, blueberries and 0.9 of a banana.

I use this to wash down 4 or 5 double choc pop tarts or a packet of pikelets from Coles with some strawberry jam.

An hour later I eat a whole food meal that always includes a cup of brown rice, an assload of meat and vege.

0.9 a banana! that shit never gets old! haha!

I always prefered .25 of a walnut, all the ALA in that will surely be useful!