T Nation

Post-Workout Shake Timing Help!

After my lifting I’ve been taking 50 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs from waxy maize. Now that I’m adding in some steady state cardio after lifting, should I drink the shake between lifting and cardio, or should I wait until after the cardio? Thanks a lot guys!

Wait, most people want to do their cardio in a somewhat depleted state.

S

Wait until you’re done exercising completely.

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
should I drink the shake between lifting and cardio, or should I wait until after the cardio?[/quote]

I’ll be different and suggest you turn the post-workout shake into a during-workout shake and have it while you lift, finishing it before you get to the cardio.

You’ll probably be able to go harder on the weights (and cardio) as a result.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
JonBlood wrote:
should I drink the shake between lifting and cardio, or should I wait until after the cardio?

I’ll be different and suggest you turn the post-workout shake into a during-workout shake and have it while you lift, finishing it before you get to the cardio.

You’ll probably be able to go harder on the weights (and cardio) as a result.[/quote]

Might as well go all the way out and make it a pre-workout shake. :slight_smile: You could start drinking it about 15 minutes before lifting and finish the whole thing about 30 minutes into your workout.

Half in between weights/cardio, half after cardio?

Lots of different answers. Personally, I’d drink it after your completely done exercising. I wouldn’t want a 20oz shake sloshing around in my stomach while I’m jogging.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Wait, most people want to do their cardio in a somewhat depleted state.

S
[/quote]

Why? I’ve always preferred to do my lifting in a somewhat depleted state. Is there data on one vs. the other?

It depends on your objectives.

If you’re doing cardio to lose fat, which it appears is the OP’s case, save the PWO shake for after cardio.

On the other hand, if you’re doing cardio to improve sports performance, I’d have something after weight training.

Either way, I’d still have a pre/during workout drink for weight training.

Even though people may have different goals, I cannot see doing weights while depleted as a benefit, whether you’re trying to build, or even cut. If cutting, you still want to maintain your muscle mass in order to keep your BMR up, and the best way to do that is to train hard and heavy.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Even though people may have different goals, I cannot see doing weights while depleted as a benefit, whether you’re trying to build, or even cut. If cutting, you still want to maintain your muscle mass in order to keep your BMR up, and the best way to do that is to train hard and heavy.

S
[/quote]

I definitely agree and hope my post didn’t come off as otherwise.