Post Workout Shake Ideas

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Hmm, where I’m from several varieties of oranges are available year round. Guess I thought that was everywhere. Don’t drink oj (or any juice) 'cause it’s basically like drinking a coke.[/quote]

x2

The only juice I think worth consuming is POM Wonderful.

Edit: Also juicing your own vegetable/fruit mix.

Whack some BCAA/MAG-10 pre and post then (gasp) eat some solid food - carbs and protein + little fat(amounts based on your BW and goals) I was spending a ton on Anaconda, Surge WF and FINiBARs etc - No doubt good products, and if your training multiple times a day/6 times a week, or for a session thats lasing over 60-90 minutes with tons of volume will be of benefit.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
250ml of orange juice (preferably a tangier brand)
4-5 raw eggs

Shake in shaker cup until eggs are significantly broken up.

Does its job just fine.[/quote]

This is great! Good old fashioned NON-PROCESSED foods.

I recently ditched protein powders in favor of raw eggs. I also ditched creatine because I eat organic red meat daily.

Back to nature, baby!

lol
[/quote]

how is that shake with eggs in it? I’ve been wanting to try it out but just never have (scared maybe? lol)

do you know how they make orange juice? ever notice how you can get orange juice year round when its a seasonal fruit. Interesting read… made me not really want to drink too much OJ though [/quote]

@Iron Dawrf - word up!

@Gregon - it really is not that bad as long as you break the eggs up well. The main problem I have with it is those weird white cordy things that are attached to the yolks sometimes… make sure you get those out with a spoon. Those things can create a nasty texture… or if one like gets stuck to your lip or something… yeah, that is almost an instant reverse flow thing for me. That only started bothering me after hundreds of those shakes though, lol.

I imagine a blender would solve that problem also… I use a shaker cup. Before that I’d just put them in a cup and break them up with a fork… oh the lulz… I had to swallow whole yolks because I missed them with the fork on multiple occasions.

edit: and no, I don’t know how they make orange juice. One of those things I don’t want to know and just refuse to know. lol

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Hmm, where I’m from several varieties of oranges are available year round. Guess I thought that was everywhere. Don’t drink oj (or any juice) 'cause it’s basically like drinking a coke.[/quote]

x2

[/quote]

For its antioxidants?

Cause as far as carbs go… its site says 236ml has 36g of carbs. That’s still coke territory.

Mwuhahahaha

Come with me to the dark side.

We have carbs. Yummy, yummy carbs.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

x2

[/quote]

I eat around 400g of carbs a day, so that’s not an issue. Oj is basically like coke in that it’s just sugar and some other shit. I’d rather just est db orange than drink processed juice.

For its antioxidants?

Cause as far as carbs go… its site says 236ml has 36g of carbs. That’s still coke territory.

Mwuhahahaha

[/quote]

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

x2

[/quote]

For its antioxidants?

Mwuhahahaha

[/quote]

Yep.

First off, I drink roughly 1-2 ounces of it at a time a couple times a week, not a huge glass every morning.

The main reason I think pomegranate juice is worth drinking is it has positive effects on a problem many if not most men face later in life. Prostate health. There’s been research backing this, but I’ve seen a positive effect even in my own family. My dad has had issues with his prostate and ever since he started drinking pomegranate juice he’s noticed improvement in his PSA levels (PSA is a marker for prostate cancer).

Additionally it has exponentially more antioxidants than red wine and green tea.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

x2

[/quote]

For its antioxidants?

Mwuhahahaha

[/quote]

Yep.

First off, I only drink 1-2 ounces at a time about 1-3 times a week. Not a whole glass.

The main reason I drink it and would recommend is it aids in a problem many if not most men face later in life. Prostate Health. There are studies backing this, but I’ve even seen the effects in my own family. My dad has issues with his prostate and noticed improvements in his PSA levels after drinking pomegranate juice everyday for a few of months straight (PSA is a marker for prostate cancer).

On top of that it blows green tea and red wine out of the water in terms of antioxidant capacity. I’m talking double or triple the amounts.

[quote]Whiteflash wrote:

I eat around 400g of carbs a day, so that’s not an issue. Oj is basically like coke in that it’s just sugar and some other shit. I’d rather just est db orange than drink processed juice. [/quote]

The orange juice I drink is store brand but it only has 2 ingredients… filtered water and orange juice concentrate. That doesn’t seem too bad to me… but to each his own! :slight_smile:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Yep.

First off, I only drink 1-2 ounces at a time about 1-3 times a week. Not a whole glass.

The main reason I drink it and would recommend is it aids in a problem many if not most men face later in life. Prostate Health. There are studies backing this, but I’ve even seen the effects in my own family. My dad has issues with his prostate and noticed improvements in his PSA levels after drinking pomegranate juice everyday for a few of months straight (PSA is a marker for prostate cancer).

On top of that it blows green tea and red wine out of the water in terms of antioxidant capacity. I’m talking double or triple the amounts.

[/quote]

Really? I’ll have to read about that… that’s pretty cool.

I do hate the taste of pomegranate though. How are the POM wonderful combos they sell? I think I saw a blueberry/pomegranate one and a few others.

[quote]Whiteflash wrote:

I eat around 400g of carbs a day, so that’s not an issue. Oj is basically like coke in that it’s just sugar and some other shit. I’d rather just est db orange than drink processed juice. [/quote]

The orange juice I drink is store brand but it only has 2 ingredients… filtered water and orange juice concentrate. That doesn’t seem too bad to me… but to each his own! :)[/quote]

the thing about it is, due to some loophole, the OJ company doesnt have to list all of the ingredients. They use a “flavor pack” to restore flavor to the OJ (because its been vaccum sealed to keep it from spoiling, which takes all the flavor out of it) and the flavor packs are made by a perfume company that makes CK cologne and others lol

ever notice how almost all orange juices taste the same but when you get a $7 glass of fresh squeezed OJ it tastes a million times better?

[quote]gregron wrote:

the thing about it is, due to some loophole, the OJ company doesnt have to list all of the ingredients. They use a “flavor pack” to restore flavor to the OJ (because its been vaccum sealed to keep it from spoiling, which takes all the flavor out of it) and the flavor packs are made by a perfume company that makes CK cologne and others lol

ever notice how almost all orange juices taste the same but when you get a $7 glass of fresh squeezed OJ it tastes a million times better?[/quote]

You got to be kidding me.

I just googled it and found nearly the same thing you just told me on cracked.com and a few other sites…

[quote]There is just one downside to the process (from the manufacturers’ point of view, that is) – it removes all the taste from the liquid. So, now they’re stuck with vats of extremely vintage watery fruit muck that tastes of paper and little else. What’s a poor giant beverage company to do? Why, they re-flavor that shit with a carefully constructed mix of chemicals called a flavor pack, which are manufactured by the same fragrance companies that formulate CK One and other perfumes. Then they bottle the orange scented paper water and sell it to you.
And, thanks to a loophole in regulations, they often don’t even bother mentioning the flavor pack chemicals in the list of ingredients. Hear that low moan from the kitchen? That’s the Minute Maid you bought yesterday. It knows you know.

[/quote]

:frowning:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Yep.

[/quote]

Really? I’ll have to read about that… that’s pretty cool.

I do hate the taste of pomegranate though. How are the POM wonderful combos they sell? I think I saw a blueberry/pomegranate one and a few others.
[/quote]

Still pretty sour man.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Whiteflash wrote:

The orange juice I drink is store brand but it only has 2 ingredients… filtered water and orange juice concentrate. That doesn’t seem too bad to me… but to each his own! :)[/quote]

ever notice how almost all orange juices taste the same but when you get a $7 glass of fresh squeezed OJ it tastes a million times better?[/quote]

Fruit juices (even 100%) are generally poor choices for CHO. Eat fresh fruit.

250ml of orange juice (preferably a tangier brand)
4-5 raw eggs

Shake in shaker cup until eggs are significantly broken up.

Does its job just fine.[/quote]

Haha that’s what my mom fed me when I was 3. I don’t think I could do it now.

Holy Scnikes!! I drink OJ all the time, had no idea…

[quote]There is just one downside to the process (from the manufacturers’ point of view, that is) – it removes all the taste from the liquid. So, now they’re stuck with vats of extremely vintage watery fruit muck that tastes of paper and little else. What’s a poor giant beverage company to do? Why, they re-flavor that shit with a carefully constructed mix of chemicals called a flavor pack, which are manufactured by the same fragrance companies that formulate CK One and other perfumes. Then they bottle the orange scented paper water and sell it to you.
And, thanks to a loophole in regulations, they often don’t even bother mentioning the flavor pack chemicals in the list of ingredients. Hear that low moan from the kitchen? That’s the Minute Maid you bought yesterday. It knows you know.

[/quote]

My post workout shake is pretty boring, usually just milk or juice with whey, generally whatever is on sale at the time, lol.

As for some variety though, a buddy of mine suggested something called the “pancake shake”
Basically it is whey/whole milk and pancake syrup! Sounds pretty awesome but I have yet to try it.

I juice my own OJ… from oranges and clementines. I use the Magic Bullet blender (the one with the juicer attachment).

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I juice my own OJ… from oranges and clementines. I use the Magic Bullet blender (the one with the juicer attachment). [/quote]

That probably gets pretty pricey though, aye?

I might do this because last night I could barely drink my post workout shake knowing all the crap I was about to ingest… lol

Milk/raw eggs just doesn’t sit well with me. It’s a lot ‘heavier’ feeling.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I juice my own OJ… from oranges and clementines. I use the Magic Bullet blender (the one with the juicer attachment). [/quote]

That probably gets pretty pricey though, aye?

I might do this because last night I could barely drink my post workout shake knowing all the crap I was about to ingest… lol

Milk/raw eggs just doesn’t sit well with me. It’s a lot ‘heavier’ feeling.[/quote]

I guess it COULD get pricey. I never made the comparison (ignorance is bliss, I guess). :slight_smile:

I drink my eggs raw and whole anyway. SO used to it after so long. Even those white stringy things don’t even bother me. LOL

But yeah… milk might seem heavy with the eggs. I drink a lactose-free brand and it’s 2% milk fat… so it seems lighter.
I might try the milk/egg mixture!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I guess it COULD get pricey. I never made the comparison (ignorance is bliss, I guess). :slight_smile:

I drink my eggs raw and whole anyway. SO used to it after so long. Even those white stringy things don’t even bother me. LOL

But yeah… milk might seem heavy with the eggs. I drink a lactose-free brand and it’s 2% milk fat… so it seems lighter.
I might try the milk/egg mixture![/quote]

Haha, dang man, even the white stringy things? You are way more hardcore than me!

Milk/egg tastes kinda bad… cinnamon helps… and so does heavy cream. Mmmm.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I might try the milk/egg mixture![/quote]

Haha, dang man, even the white stringy things? You are way more hardcore than me!

Milk/egg tastes kinda bad… cinnamon helps… and so does heavy cream. Mmmm.[/quote]

Not sure if you guys have tried it or not but the cartons of liquid egg whites actually are not that bad. They are pretty much flavorless, kind of taste like a thick water. I like the Crystal Farms brand, the 16oz has 50g egg protien, perfect. I use them on cuts because I can replace a meal with them (usually breakfast) they are pastuerized though which can be good or bad depending on your stance on that. At least you wont get sallmonella, but then again I take raw eggs down ALL the time and have never been stung with it.