T Nation

Post Workout Shake, Cutting

Hi,

I read the article ‘‘The post workout nutrition puzzle’’ and I wanna know what the Post workout shake be like if you are cuting. My guess is it should stay the same 'cause you want to keep muscle mass as much as possible, but the insulin spike halts fat loss. So what is the optimal PostWO shake/carb and protein dosage?

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
Hi,

I read the article ‘‘The post workout nutrition puzzle’’ and I wanna know what the Post workout shake be like if you are cuting. My guess is it should stay the same 'cause you want to keep muscle mass as much as possible, but the insulin spike halts fat loss. So what is the optimal PostWO shake/carb and protein dosage?[/quote]

Mine is always the same. But I also don’t “cut”. But for example my post workout intake stayed exactly the same during the time I was on the V Diet. After breaking down your body the post workout intake is more about repair. At least that is my take on it.

Christopher

Even if cutting a postworkout shake such as Surge is fine. This is the one time you want that high insulin spike. Just make sure you follow your cutting nutritional plan the rest of the day.

D

There are two ways to look at this.

  1. When cutting you typically are restricting both carbs and calories. This doesn’t pan out well for an intense training session. Surge really is only optimal after intense sessions. If you go to the gym while cutting and slack off, or just go through the motions for maintenance (perfectly ok to do), then no I don’t think you’ll need much of a PWO shake besides some protein.

  2. If you are an FFB (or future FFB) and cutting (not someone going from 12 to 8% BF), you may want to consider restricting your PWO shake some. Maybe do 1/2 a shake. I only say this from personal experience. If you’re cutting your metabolism is already cranked down a notch, and the peri-workout window is not as powerful for you, regardless of intensity.

Most will say just go ahead and do it, but you need to evaluate what works best for you in your situation.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
There are two ways to look at this.

  1. When cutting you typically are restricting both carbs and calories. This doesn’t pan out well for an intense training session. Surge really is only optimal after intense sessions. If you go to the gym while cutting and slack off, or just go through the motions for maintenance (perfectly ok to do), then no I don’t think you’ll need much of a PWO shake besides some protein.

  2. If you are an FFB (or future FFB) and cutting (not someone going from 12 to 8% BF), you may want to consider restricting your PWO shake some. Maybe do 1/2 a shake. I only say this from personal experience. If you’re cutting your metabolism is already cranked down a notch, and the peri-workout window is not as powerful for you, regardless of intensity.

Most will say just go ahead and do it, but you need to evaluate what works best for you in your situation.[/quote]

Thanks,

I plan to use about the same program I use bulking, but I won’t progress as steadily, because I won’t have the energy to do so I think (I will be cuting 600 cal. from my diet, mostly carbs + I never really made a serious cut attempt, I’ll see how it goes). I was planning to use HOT-ROX extreme too, I already have my bottle waiting.

And I guess I can be considered a kindof FFB (went to 255 pounds, dropped to 235, now still 235… never been lean, always a small gut, you know, but never obese) and eating a lot to bulk leads to fat gains almost instantly. And I just read the FFB article by CS, and I can say it fits me really well.

My cardio will be 30 min. incline walking after weights and my programs will be fullbody. Any suggestions?

u will drop fat faster if you just have Metabolic Drive and glutamine postworkout. maybe with an apple.

I cant drop an ounce of fat when I consume liquid carbs pwo

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
u will drop fat faster if you just have Metabolic Drive and glutamine postworkout. maybe with an apple.

I cant drop an ounce of fat when I consume liquid carbs pwo[/quote]

But can you gain muscle?

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
My cardio will be 30 min. incline walking after weights and my programs will be fullbody. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

I would bring a shaker of isolate protein to drink after weight training but before cardio. This gives the body some protein to begin rebuilding the muscles, but has glycogen levels depleted to aid in fat burning. I wouldn’t do the Surge type PWO until after cardio.