T Nation

Post Workout Question

I’ve been eating 3 cups of whole milk and 2 scoops of 24g whey protein (has 1 gram of sugar in it per scoop). I’ve also been eating 6 packets of plain oatmeal with it.

That’s floating around the 1,000 calorie mark, maybe a bit more or a bit less. I’ve decided to start tracking my macronutrients tomorrow (gotta start somewhere).

Can you guys rate this pw meal? That would be awesome. Maybe some suggestions for how to change it, as well.

It’s difficult to rate a meal without knowing how you eat the rest of the day and what you goals and training are.

In general, it looks a bit high on calories, but without knowing you’re size it’s impossible to say.

Are you drinking a PWO shake like Surge before this?

Seems like a fine post work out meal to me.

A lot of people will tell you to cut out the fat after working out, but I’m assuming in this case you are talking about the first meal after working out (post-recovery drink)

What type of training are you doing? IMO I can’t see needing 1,000 calories immediately PWO, regardless of what the macronutrients are.

My advice would be to cut the oats and add bananas.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
My advice would be to cut the oats and add bananas.[/quote]

I would agree with this, although I think that some oats are perfectly fine as well.

Are you suggesting the bananna’s because of the simpler sugars found in there resulting in a faster insulin response?

I think it is a great pwo shake you have going there if you can really stomach 1000cals at one small setting. If this is a post-workout “meal” Id suggest maybe having some carbs and protein immediately post workout (not quite 1000’s cals) then go home and fix a meal and eat that about 45min-1 hr later.

my .02

DG

I can more than stomach 1,000 calories. I’m 5’9" 170+ relatively lean if you can tell in my picture, or not.

I drink the shake 20-40 minutes after the workout, and the oatmeal immediately to 10 minutes after the shake.

I will definitely put a banana in my shake from now on, thanks for the advice.

Also, I’m looking to put on mass and strength, so 1,000 calories doesn’t seem too bad for PWO, especially since it’s most of the carbs I eat during the day.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Are you suggesting the bananna’s because of the simpler sugars found in there resulting in a faster insulin response? [/quote]

I didn’t think fructose really spiked insulin?

One medium banana contains (from the USDA Nutrient Database):

Total sugars: 14.4 g

Sucrose 2.82 g (which yields about 1.4 g glucose in the body and about 1.4 g fructose)

Glucose (dextrose) 5.88 g

Fructose 5.72 g

So roughly speaking sugars from bananas are about 40% fructose directly as fructose, about 41% glucose directly as glucose, and about 19% sucrose, which hydrolyzes in the body to equal amounts of glucose and fructose.

Contrary to common belief, they’re not mostly or entirely fructose. But then again neither are they low in it.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

Sucrose 2.82 g (which yields about 1.4 g glucose in the body and about 1.4 g fructose)

Fructose 5.72 g

So roughly speaking sugars from bananas are about 40% fructose directly as fructose, about 41% glucose directly as glucose, and about 19% sucrose, which hydrolyzes in the body to equal amounts of glucose and fructose.

Contrary to common belief, they’re not mostly or entirely fructose. But then again neither are they low in it. [/quote]

Apologies for my ignorance. Thanks for sharing that info.

[quote]TheBigV wrote:
I can more than stomach 1,000 calories. I’m 5’9" 170+ relatively lean if you can tell in my picture, or not.

I drink the shake 20-40 minutes after the workout, and the oatmeal immediately to 10 minutes after the shake.

I will definitely put a banana in my shake from now on, thanks for the advice.

Also, I’m looking to put on mass and strength, so 1,000 calories doesn’t seem too bad for PWO, especially since it’s most of the carbs I eat during the day.[/quote]

Try having Surge immediately post-workout then have your meal 30 to 40 minutes later.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

Fructose 5.72 g

Contrary to common belief, they’re not mostly or entirely fructose. But then again neither are they low in it. [/quote]

cool thanks Bill…I would have assumed it was a dominant fructose food. lol Thanks for the info…

to the OP…get your shake in your system faster than 20 mins after your workout. Some say it doesn’t matter, but I’m a firm believer in getting it in ASAP. My shake is in my gut before I even leave the gym.

my .02 once again.

DG

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
My advice would be to cut the oats and add bananas.[/quote]

. . . I’d recommend only .9 of a banana.

more info what supps you talking