T Nation

Post-Workout Pain

g’day all. I’m new to bodybuilding, and sometimes i don’t experience aching in my muscles the day after i workout. It’s not all the time (i usually do feel pain), but it’s just random. What does this mean?

please

DOMS(delayed onset muscle soreness) occurs as a result of lifting weights. The eccentric portion of a lift accounts for most of the soreness, and if you experience no soreness, do not worry. The goal of training should be to get stronger, lose fat, build muscle, etc. Becoming fatigued or sore should not be a goal. Lift hard and smart using basic compound lifts, eat properly, and make wise choices outside of the gym(no smoking, drinking, drugs, plenty of sleep, try to minimize stress). Read some articles by Chad Waterbury to develop a solid, strength training program. Dr. John Berardi and Dr. Lonnie Lowery write great articles on nutrition. Use the Archives and educate yourself. You will be successful if you use the knowledge available to you.

DOMS is not a good sign of a good w/o. Some will always get sore after a w/o, many adjust and rarely experience soreness anymore.

Do a search on DOMS and you will be loaded with great reading.

Hope that helps,
Phill

ta

Yeah, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don’t. It’s random but having said that, I’m pretty well assured of getting the DOMS when I incorporate a new or different movement in my routine. I like it as it tells me I really hit the muscle hard.

Now, make sure it’s just sore muscle groups that you have. If you have something severe - a joint ache or any sharp stabbing pain, seek knowledgeable firsthand help!

[quote]raygon wrote:
g’day all. I’m new to bodybuilding, and sometimes i don’t experience aching in my muscles the day after i workout. It’s not all the time (i usually do feel pain), but it’s just random. What does this mean?
[/quote]