Post-Workout Nutrition?

since it is important to take in carbs as well as protein right after your workout-would it not be better to have a shake containing both-such as a product like N-large2–as opposed to just having a plain whey protein shake?

If only Biotest could come up with a post workout shake that had simple sugars and fast acting protein…

Check out the T-Nation store for a product called Surge, its got carbs and protein in a 2:1 mix… The original tastes like angel food cake(seriously).

It also uses the fastest absorbed carbs (Dextrose and Maltodextrin) and whey (Hydrolyzed). I use it after most weight trainig sessions and it helps to relieve some soreness and get the post workout cals in.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
If only Biotest could come up with a post workout shake that had simple sugars and fast acting protein…[/quote]

… and sell it over the internet… and on that very same site, have a forum where you can ask questions and discuss training… and nutrition… and look at pictures of women… and have a guy who writes about his penis every Friday and… oh, forget it. I guess I’m just daydreaming.

[quote]Armand Basilico wrote:
since it is important to take in carbs as well as protein right after your workout-would it not be better to have a shake containing both-such as a product like N-large2–as opposed to just having a plain whey protein shake?[/quote]

In short yes bro and Biotest has a great product here called Surge

I suggest you read the articles "Solving the post w/o puzzle I and II and Dave Bar has some more recent articles on this subject those should explain it all

Phill

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
scottiscool wrote:
If only Biotest could come up with a post workout shake that had simple sugars and fast acting protein…

… and sell it over the internet… and on that very same site, have a forum where you can ask questions and discuss training… and nutrition… and look at pictures of women… and have a guy who writes about his penis every Friday and… oh, forget it. I guess I’m just daydreaming.[/quote]

Lol…thanks my man…I needed the chuckle…

i just use a scoop of ON whey in a glass of milk, and lots of sugar mixed in organic, pure cranberry juice with creatine.

the sugar helps with the creatine absorption and provides the simple, post work out carbs, and the ON in milk gives me the fast and slow acting protiens.

it is much cheaper than buying supps that are designed to do the same thing.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
i just use a scoop of ON whey in a glass of milk, and lots of sugar mixed in organic, pure cranberry juice with creatine.

the sugar helps with the creatine absorption and provides the simple, post work out carbs, and the ON in milk gives me the fast and slow acting protiens.

[/quote]

Cheaper maybe not really serving per serving and by far less optimal for that time, this opportunity. Add up your milk, juice, whey etc your getting to the price of Surge or higher and a less effective home brew for this time.

The sugars your using yes cause a spike but are very slow in comparison and largely made of fructose which has to be converted and refill the liver prior to any muscle glycogen stores.

Then you have the milk and high in casein while great not great PWO when you want again something Bullet fast if its not fat free milk well even slower.

But hey what ever works for ya

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
texasguy wrote:

Cheaper maybe not really serving per serving and by far less optimal for that time, this opportunity. Add up your milk, juice, whey etc your getting to the price of Surge or higher and a less effective home brew for this time.

The sugars your using yes cause a spike but are very slow in comparison and largely made of fructose which has to be converted and refill the liver prior to any muscle glycogen stores.

Then you have the milk and high in casein while great not great PWO when you want again something Bullet fast if its not fat free milk well even slower.

But hey what ever works for ya

Phill

[/quote]

eh, the whey is fast acting however. and when you buy ON’s 10lb bag, it is super cheap.

the casiens just maintain my protien levels for a few more hours, just like casien derived, overly expensive supps. a glass of milk is cheaper than a scoop of casien supplements and does the same thing.

simple sugar is simple sugar. and it doesn’t get much simpler than pure cane sugar.

juice isn’t all that expensive, especially with the type i use. you are supposed to make a 20-80 mix, juice to water. for creatine intake, i use about six ounces total, so two ounce servings of juice makes my bottles last weeks. and the sugar is less than a penny a spoon.

i’d still say that finding the ingredients and combining them yourself is cheaper (yet still just as effective) than paying a worker to do it, his manager, his companies manufacturing overhead, shipping costs, marketing costs and then the shipping costs from their warehouse to me.