Post-Workout Nutrition - Macros, as Opposed to Products

There is seriously conflicting information throughout the site (and internet in general) on optimal post-workout nutrition. Wanted to start a healthy discussion on what is optimal or suboptimal for the post-workout supplement (grounded in literature, as opposed to subjective preference).

Lets get down to macros, as opposed to products. I would argue fat should be avoided at all costs, carbohydrates should be .3g/kg up to 1.5g/kg, activity dependent. Protein should not be more than 25g, as it can interfere with glycogen synthesis. Let me hear thoughts!

It really depends on your goals.

I think that you should load up on low carb source BCAA’s before the workout, and into the workout if it is fairly long then almost all carbs, but not more than .5 g/kg and with about 0-10 grams of protein. If you have gotten down 40-60 grams of BCAA’s (100-150 grams of low carb protein total) before training then I see no reason to have any protein with the barb source.

The BCAA’s should be ceased about 2 hours before the end of the workout and the start of the carbs. You can start your carbs during your final exercises.

Maybe something like this: 2 60-90 gram low carb whey protein shakes 2 and 1 hour before training.
Train 1 hour
start to consume 100 grams of carbs with <10 grams protein
Continue training for 30 minutes on smaller stuff.
Finish the carbs.

[quote]frenchs88 wrote:
There is seriously conflicting information throughout the site (and internet in general) on optimal post-workout nutrition. Wanted to start a healthy discussion on what is optimal or suboptimal for the post-workout supplement (grounded in literature, as opposed to subjective preference).

Lets get down to macros, as opposed to products. I would argue fat should be avoided at all costs, carbohydrates should be .3g/kg up to 1.5g/kg, activity dependent. Protein should not be more than 25g, as it can interfere with glycogen synthesis. Let me hear thoughts![/quote]

[quote]mccl8262 wrote:

[quote]frenchs88 wrote:

Lets get down to macros, as opposed to products. I would argue fat should be avoided at all costs, carbohydrates should be .3g/kg up to 1.5g/kg, activity dependent. Protein should not be more than 25g, as it can interfere with glycogen synthesis. Let me hear thoughts![/quote]

While synthesis is due to having protein present, I think that you probably want it already in your bloodstream by the end of the workout. The carbs then open the muscle channels and let protein in. Also carbs post workout have shown to supress cortisol MUCH more than protein, line 500% more than protein alone, with Carbs+Protein being virtually identical to just carbs.

Carb heavy within the 3 hour window pre workout. (I like 1-2 hour)

just protein or leucine heavy bcaa’s post workout. 1-2 hours later another protein heavy meal. No other macros needed but I eat a full meal.

Carbs are most important pre workout. Imo.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

just protein or leucine heavy bcaa’s post workout. 1-2 hours later another protein heavy meal. No other macros needed but I eat a full meal.

Carbs are most important pre workout. Imo.[/quote]

Interesting. Does that mean you actively -avoid- carbs post-workout?

Avoiding carbs post-workout is not an idea many people try to sell. What’s your take on it? Do you think it matters if you workout at morning vs night?

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

Carbs are most important pre workout. Imo.[/quote]

Interesting. Does that mean you actively -avoid- carbs post-workout?

Avoiding carbs post-workout is not an idea many people try to sell. What’s your take on it? Do you think it matters if you workout at morning vs night?[/quote]

Stu, John Meadows and many others have said that if you have your pre-workout or intra-workout carbs taken care of, your body does not “need” carbs post workout. Basically, any carbs peri-workout will suffice.

So what are the typical amount of carbs that people take before an typical 60 minute gym session??

tweet

Jus’ sharing,
Im doing 105g of HBCD carbs and 50 grams of hydrolyzed casein intra workout. But my sessions are pretty high volume, mountain dog style. Also I’m 6’1, 230lbs. Works wonders for me, I will never train again without it.