Post Workout Nasuea?

What’s the mechanism for this? Last night, after a personal best on squats, and a near personal best on the leg press a few minutes later, I had to run to the locker room to puke up about half the water I’d drank earlier in the workout.
Is this horribly detrimental? I only lost water, and what small amount of food that was remaining from my pre-workout meal. It didn’t interfere with the remainder of the workout, either.

I’m not a doctor, but I think the reason for this is that maxing out calls on every resource in your system and your body sends not only all the energy but a significant amount of the variable blood flow to the muscles in question.
One result of this is to shut the digestive system down momentarily as it is not essential short term and the body needs every resource available somewhere else.
Shutting down the digestive system when there is content in the stomach, can lead to throwing up what is sitting there.
I don’t think this is a big problem. But maybe the next time you max out like that, leave your stomach empty before hand and hydrate after the big efforts (and a few minutes to let your body regulate itself.

Again, I’m not a doctor either, but, I’ve always felt the cause was the extreme taxation of the central nervous system.

It just means you had a good fuckin workout! No big whoop, it’s not gonna hurt you nutritionally or anything like that, although you probably don’t want to puke at every workout! I doubt your body would let you go hard enough to puke every time anyways. Keep up the intensity!

P.S. It’s even more fun if you can’t make it to the locker room :slight_smile: Hopefully, you can find a trash can. The ladies love that shit.

I’m not a doctor. (just wanted to clear that up)

I puke sometimes as well. For this reason I stopped taking Surge during my max workouts because I was puking out valuable nutrients. Now I just take surge after my ME workouts.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I’m not a doctor. (just wanted to clear that up)[/quote]

Neither am I. But I play one in the bedroom.

It’s been said before, but, I’m not a doctor either.
I always feel like puking after a heavy leg workout. It means you’re awesome.
You can also play doctor in the kitchen.

You exceeded your oxygen capacity in the muscle cells. This produced more lactic acid than you were used to. As the build up proceeds you can get to lactic acidosis with nausea as one of the symptoms. If you had longer rest periods between sets the lactic acid gets converted eventually to glucose via the Cori Cycle.

If you do interval training you can increase the threshold for lactic acidosis. It is really a short time work capacity thing.

A truly brutal 20 rep leg exercise is going call for a barf bucket no mater what interval training you do.

tall tom-
you sound like a doctor

just for the record, I’m not a doctor

Just tried to answer the original question.

I am not a doctor.

Well, I am a doctor and the response regarding lactic acidosis is likely a contributing factor to your post work out nausea. This might sound like a stupid question, but are your legs sore the next day when you experience this nausea?

[quote]tall tom wrote:
You exceeded your oxygen capacity in the muscle cells. This produced more lactic acid than you were used to. As the build up proceeds you can get to lactic acidosis with nausea as one of the symptoms. If you had longer rest periods between sets the lactic acid gets converted eventually to glucose via the Cori Cycle.

If you do interval training you can increase the threshold for lactic acidosis. It is really a short time work capacity thing.

A truly brutal 20 rep leg exercise is going call for a barf bucket no mater what interval training you do.[/quote]

I’ve heard this before but am curious what other causes there are as I have done some really brutal higher rep squat workouts with no vomiting but ME work kills me sometimes… the reason I say this is I though higher reps usually produce more of a lactic acid responce

I used to be a doctor, but now I go to her. :slight_smile:

-DV