Post workout meal

Almighty forum, I look to you for guidance and wisdom.

I know you have heard it a thousnd times, but “what is the best thing to eat directly after a work out?”

I read somewhere that a large amount of sugar is good. Like a Coke or somethin’.

try some whey protein mixed with 100% fruit juice to bring your glycogen stores back up (or something along those lines…not coke. Then about an hour later eat a balanced meal with complex carbs.

coke?! dont know about that, try gatorade+PWO shake right after, and some meat / hamburger + veggies or something 1 hour later with maybe some more whey! im no genius on this, but thats what i do.

Surge all the way, or homemade surge when money is tight.

Hydro Whey 1 scoop
Maltodexrin 30 grams
Dextrose 30 grams

I just started using this mix and it is working great for me.

the problem with some fruit juices is that some of the sugar in them is fructose, which doesn’t cause the same good insulin spike ya wanna get, as well as i believe that fructose is much better at replacing liver glycogen stores than skeletal muscle stores. Which is why right above he lists dextrose and maltodextrin, which is simply glucose and glucose polymers, pretty much the ideal pwo plan.

1sm6…never heard of the fruit juice increasing liver glycogen stores, but sounds interesting. Know anywhere I can get some research to read on the topic?

well the best thing to eat post workout would have to be the hot, young, fitness bunny that is training on the adductor machine right next to you.

however a close second would have to be surge or a surge like drink. follow this up about an hour later with another p+c meal.

Oh come on, this is weak. It’s one thing to not do a forum search, another to not do an article search, but to have an article on this very topic in this weeks issue? WEAK!

We need to stop encouraging this behaviour.
[Sorry guys, I’m a little cranky because I got 4 hours of sleep last night:)]

Read this:

and this:

And, while you’re at it, read this:

Basic idea, you want simple carbs post workout, but not in the form of fructose. SURGE! has the best mixture around of dextrose/maltodextrin, but if you can’t buy this, get a container of whey and add malto/dextrose to it. If all else fails, add some gatorade powder to the shake. After your shake, about 1 hour, have either another shake or a solid meal, your preference.

TheJBone, if you’re serious about working out, you definitely want to optimize your PWO nutrition. Doing so increases protein synthesis and squelches rising cortisol. Refilling glycogen stores is a plus. Refilling liver glycogen stores PWO is not the goal.

Read John Berardi’s article, “Solving the Post Workout Puzzle,” I & II, to get a better idea of what’s going on PWO and how you should be eating.

Any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Reading this is disturbing. I can tell that many of you have never read the magazine in your lives. Others have never tried using the search engine to look at previous posts. Very disappointing. Instead of posting, try reading. The answers are all here. You just need to spend some time looking for them. The journey will be well worth it. Trust me.

David is right!

Read his article in the current issue.

The really sad thing is this guy posts in the steroid forum mostly talking about taking d-bol and has only two years of training under his belt. Doesn’t even know how to eat or read yet he’s using steroids.

natbb04, you asked bout the fructose and liver glycogen, here’s one article abstract for ya.

Int J Sports Med. 1998 Jun;19 Suppl 2:S142-5.

Glycogen resynthesis after exercise: effect of carbohydrate intake.

Ivy JL.

Department of Kinesiology, University of Texas, Austin 78712, USA. JohnIvy@mail.utexas.edu

To maximize glycogen resynthesis after exercise, a carbohydrate supplement in excess of 1.0 g x kg(-1) body wt should be consumed immediately after competition or a training bout. Continuation of supplementation every two hours will maintain a rapid rate of storage up to six hours post exercise. Supplements composed of glucose or glucose polymers are the most effective for replenishment of muscle glycogen, whereas fructose is most beneficial for the replenishment of liver glycogen. The addition of protein to a carbohydrate supplement may also increase the rate of glycogen storage due to the ability of protein and carbohydrate to act synergistically on insulin secretion.

My favortie post workout meal is a a mix of
2 scoops Protein Isolate
1 scoop Creatine & Carb Mix
total of 46-48pro,30-40carbs,1-3fat
If I’m looking to put on more mass, I will use the same Mix for a Preworkout meal too!

Thanks a bunch to all of you that had constructive answers and ideas. I got a few good/new ideas for post workout nutrition.

Its funny how some of you spend time respond to a question you feel should’nt have been asked. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE QUESTION, WHY THE F*CK WOULD YOU SPEND YOUR TIME RESPONDING. Get off your self-righteous high horses and go tell someone else how smart you are, or how you have done everything in your life right. Its like your dying to just let everyone know how great you are. Check between your legs, how are your members? I know a lot of short guys that are like that. Little guys are so cute sometimes. Snuggleriffic.

Gimme a break.

I am sure all of the members on this board that use AAS did it correct all the way. Worked out for 10 hard years naturally. Then and only then, started researching AAS. After a few YEARS of research tried thier first cycle. MY F*ckin ass.

I always have a bowl of frosted flakes (for the sugar) and a couple scoops of Whey (fast absorption). Bout an hour later I have a regular meal, although lately, with training at night, I’ve been trying to limit the carbs and focus more on a P+F meal.

My homemade anabolic cocktail:

100g carb powder (maltodextrine)
50g whey protein isolate
5g creatine
5g l-glutamine

All mixed together with ~16oz of gin!

Actually, I’m 6’1" and have been given the poster of the week award on this site for being a helpful guy.

The fact is your question was beyond dumb. When you posted it there was an article about post-workout nutrition in the current issue of this mag. And yet you ask if a Coke would be good? A Coke!!!

And you’re also asking dumb steroid questions and are, in fact, using steroids with 2 years of training and apparently no knowledge of what to even eat.

Do you realize people have published long articles on this very site ranting about idiots like you? Did you know this site even HAD articles?

Do you know that the well-respected contributors to this site and even a writer for it (David Barr) think you’re an idiot?

A whole chicken and a pitcher of beer. In other words, protein and carbs.