Post-Workout Insulin Spike

You cut my quote in half, and then asked me the question that it answered. @Chris_Colucci

I appreciate the info, but I would have been happy with just those links.

Okay, let me rephrase…

What’s wrong with powdered workout supplements? You’re open to taking nootropics, pre-workout stimulants, liver protectants, peptides, SARMs, and TRT but draw the line at workout nutrition? Dude, really?

The point remains unanswered. All supplements (and meds in the case of SARMs/peptides/TRT) are designed to do a specific job. Just seems peculiar to draw the line at protein-carb drinks after everything else you’re okay with taking.

I have just started to favor food for my nutrition and supplementation at this point. I have stopped taking most of my supplements and have just been going a different route.

I have my reasons. Sarms/Peptides/TRT/Stims/Liver protectants don’t fall into the “nutrition” category in my book.

Again though, thanks for the links. Its what I was looking for.

I’m not 100% against it, just exploring other options at this time.

My main issue is my liver.

If I take anything that increases liver clearance or efficiency, I tank my estrogen being on TRT.

This is why I have been shying away from supplements recently.

1 Like

I’m interested in Plazma.

So this is 15 mins before, and during. (have never drank anything other than water during a workout)

Which product would you recommend for post workout if my goals are size and strength.

(Mag 10) Post workout shake basically?

Some of the products overlap, and I’m a little confused as to which one is for what exactly.

Read these two articles What You Don't Know About Workout Supplements Post-Workout Nutrition is Dead

Can’t go wrong with Plazma and Mag-10 if you can afford it. A cheaper alternative that I’ve had success with is

Before:

• 40g whey
  • 30g of maltodextrine

During

• 15g amino acids
  • 70g maltodextrine

After

but it isn’t as good.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for making that easy to read.

Trying to keep it simple, If I were to use the products as it says: (and obviously only these 2)

Mag 10 45mins-1 hour before hand

Plazma 15 before and during

Mag 10, after workout.

From what everyone has been saying and the articles. I’m assuming if I were to take the MAG 10 only once, it would be preferable to take it beforehand?

That’s super-overkill and, really, a waste of protein because it’s redundant (explained in this article about protein pulsing).

Plazma 15ish minutes before and during training, Mag-10 either an hour or so after training or any other time of day (not specifically pre-workout. I actually like having it before bed). Simple and effective.

Perfect, thank you!

The article mentions it at both opportunities, so I wasn’t sure. This makes it loud and clear.

Here’s what I like to do when I’m running Plazma and Mag-10.

I mix two servings of Plazma the day before my workout (you can mix Plazma and Mag-10 up to 24 hours before consumption which is super neat if you are like me and workout early in the AM). I drink half of it 15 minutes out from my workout, just straight up pound it. The remaining half I drink during my workout.

“Immediately” after my workout, I have two servings of Mag-10 and then one hour after that, I have another two servings.

Awesome. This is what I was looking for. Just personal experiences really.

I think what ill do to start is try the plazma before and during. and then use the mag 10 directly after. Keep it simple at first, and see how I like the results.

Thanks again everyone for making this issue A LOT more clear for me. @Chris_Colucci

Does food timing have any sway on the timing of these things? Or do I just go about my day as usual, just add these in at these times?

Generally eat 1 hour after I workout, or so.

Does food timing have any sway on the timing of these things?

Some, I’d like to refer you back to the article What You Don't Know About Workout Supplements - Diet and Nutrition - COMMUNITY - T NATION (under the first instance of the header “During the Workout”) but eating a healthy solid meal an hour after your workout will not negatively affect anything.

Maybe forgo the second Mag-10-pulse I suggested.

2 Likes

Yeah, like Allberg said, a whole food meal sometime after training is a fine alternative because the big work is already taken care of (ties back to what we said about pre/during being higher priority than post).

If you still want to double-down on recovery, you can pop that Mag-10 any other time of day. Some people (I think John Meadows too) talked about having it with meals because it’s still so fast absorbing, so that’s an option.

1 Like

What’s your take on the “flavoring”… Nescessary?

Absolutely essential.

Good to know. Thanks again.

I’m going to quote a bit from the Surge Workout Fuel product page, because I feel as if it applies to Plazma and Mag-10 as well (perhaps even more so)

Do you train hard enough to earn it?

No apologies, no overstated hype, and absolutely no watering down the product to make it more economical. Surge® Workout Fuel is an elite supplement for elite athletes and those who train like them.

In all fairness, buy whatever supplements you want, but I feel like unless you are training hard enough it’s not as easy to discern why these products are superior to their alternatives as you won’t be needing what they are providing.

TRT has made me a new man. I’m in the best shape I have ever been. Consistently push heavy weight 5-6 times a week, force myself to take breaks.

I was looking to supplements for littie boost. (L Carnitine’s ability to increase Androgen Receptors really caught my eye)

But I think my money and health would be better off if I dialed in my nutrition better.

Here’s how I would rate things in order of importance:

1. Calories
  2. Macro distribution
  3. Timing

If you haven’t already, spend a week weighing everything you eat to tick off 1 and 2 seeing as you now know what you need about 3!

I honestly think my biggest problem is problem #1.

I use to be a heavier guy so I’m always afraid of putting on fat.

Weighing/Counting calories was the very LAST thing I ever wanted to do regarding working out, but it seems I’m headed that way.

I know a little bit about fitting macros and caloric deficit/surplus/ Have a lot of reading ahead of me. But mainly I have just been trying to eat healthy, and eat MORE if I my body is telling me to do so. (I.e, hungry all the time)