Post-Workout Insulin Spike

Right before I workout, about 30-40 mins before, I have some grapes, an apple or a banana.

Lately, after my workouts, I have been eating a handful of cherries, along with my protein shake. Then within an hour I eat a meal.

I have been seeing people say that chocolate milk is ideal for the post workout insulin spike, plus the protein it has.

I really don’t like the idea of buying a powder to supplement afterwards and would rather get my nutrition/insulin spike from food.

I’m not dead set on chocolate milk. More looking to see what other do , so I can fill my toolbox.

I eat some fruits post workout too while drinking protein shake. Usually banana.

Sometimes blueberry muffin. It goes well with strawberry flavoured protein shake.

And my pre-workout is also simply sugar. Either some fruit or muffin.

1 Like

I believe science has pretty much found the post workout insulin spike to be of less importance than carbs pre and intra.

2 Likes

Pre and Post is what I have always heard. I have never heard of eating carbs during a workout though.

My workouts are usually hour and a half. So I don’t know if intra-workout carbs would benefit me.

Since I have an hour long commute, I drink a weight gainer shake (because it has both carbs and protein) on my way home from work since I’m not going eat again until after my workout. During my workout I drink a BCAA shake, then eat when I get home from the gym. So I think I have the pre, the intra, and the post workout nutrition covered.

1 Like

@anon10035199
You don’t eat them, you drink them. Plazma???

^this.

Imo anything that can positively affect your training session is a plus. Besides, if you’re getter Carbs in the rest Of your daily diet your glycogen stores will be just fine for your next training session regardless of whether you stored a few more in the small bit of time after training or not.

S

2 Likes

something I might look into eventually as I get more dedicated to lifting.

Why not? You’re open to taking nootropics, pre-workout stimulants, liver protectants, peptides, SARMs, and TRT but draw the line at workout nutrition? Dude, really?

Like the guys are saying, workout drinks before/during training are more efficient than whole food after. This talks more about why. This similar but different article talks more specifically about the benefits of pre and intra-nutrition vs just post-workout.

That’s not really a factor. A session could be 20 minutes (like hard conditioning or 10x3 deadlifts) and still absolutely benefit from workout nutrition. There’s no minimum timeframe.

You cut my quote in half, and then asked me the question that it answered. @Chris_Colucci

I appreciate the info, but I would have been happy with just those links.

Okay, let me rephrase…

What’s wrong with powdered workout supplements? You’re open to taking nootropics, pre-workout stimulants, liver protectants, peptides, SARMs, and TRT but draw the line at workout nutrition? Dude, really?

The point remains unanswered. All supplements (and meds in the case of SARMs/peptides/TRT) are designed to do a specific job. Just seems peculiar to draw the line at protein-carb drinks after everything else you’re okay with taking.

I have just started to favor food for my nutrition and supplementation at this point. I have stopped taking most of my supplements and have just been going a different route.

I have my reasons. Sarms/Peptides/TRT/Stims/Liver protectants don’t fall into the “nutrition” category in my book.

Again though, thanks for the links. Its what I was looking for.

I’m not 100% against it, just exploring other options at this time.

My main issue is my liver.

If I take anything that increases liver clearance or efficiency, I tank my estrogen being on TRT.

This is why I have been shying away from supplements recently.

1 Like

I’m interested in Plazma.

So this is 15 mins before, and during. (have never drank anything other than water during a workout)

Which product would you recommend for post workout if my goals are size and strength.

(Mag 10) Post workout shake basically?

Some of the products overlap, and I’m a little confused as to which one is for what exactly.

Read these two articles What You Don't Know About Workout Supplements Post-Workout Nutrition is Dead

Can’t go wrong with Plazma and Mag-10 if you can afford it. A cheaper alternative that I’ve had success with is

Before:

• 40g whey
  • 30g of maltodextrine

During

• 15g amino acids
  • 70g maltodextrine

After

but it isn’t as good.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for making that easy to read.

Trying to keep it simple, If I were to use the products as it says: (and obviously only these 2)

Mag 10 45mins-1 hour before hand

Plazma 15 before and during

Mag 10, after workout.

From what everyone has been saying and the articles. I’m assuming if I were to take the MAG 10 only once, it would be preferable to take it beforehand?

That’s super-overkill and, really, a waste of protein because it’s redundant (explained in this article about protein pulsing).

Plazma 15ish minutes before and during training, Mag-10 either an hour or so after training or any other time of day (not specifically pre-workout. I actually like having it before bed). Simple and effective.

Perfect, thank you!

The article mentions it at both opportunities, so I wasn’t sure. This makes it loud and clear.

Here’s what I like to do when I’m running Plazma and Mag-10.

I mix two servings of Plazma the day before my workout (you can mix Plazma and Mag-10 up to 24 hours before consumption which is super neat if you are like me and workout early in the AM). I drink half of it 15 minutes out from my workout, just straight up pound it. The remaining half I drink during my workout.

“Immediately” after my workout, I have two servings of Mag-10 and then one hour after that, I have another two servings.

Awesome. This is what I was looking for. Just personal experiences really.

I think what ill do to start is try the plazma before and during. and then use the mag 10 directly after. Keep it simple at first, and see how I like the results.

Thanks again everyone for making this issue A LOT more clear for me. @Chris_Colucci

Does food timing have any sway on the timing of these things? Or do I just go about my day as usual, just add these in at these times?

Generally eat 1 hour after I workout, or so.