Post Workout Drinks

You’re not being picky SRS, it’s all good!

Actually, Gatorade is the powdered drink with sucrose and dextrose.

Powerade lists sucrose first, then maltodextrin with glucose polymers in parentheses right after it (got my trusty jar of it right here in front of me!), which is why I prefer it over Gatorade.

mamann- Well, you must have a different batch to the one I’m reading now- Sucrose, Dextrose…

JBraswell- So you’re getting your Surge from a Livestock feed suppliers? Or was that a spelling error on your part? :slight_smile: SRS

surge is expensive. The cheapest i’ve seen it in Toronto is $67 a container. Now berardi says you gotta have postworkout shake immediately after excerise and 1 more about an hour later. So considering the size of it (Grow is listed at the same price) thats going to last maybe about a few weeks. Remember you have to mix in the right amount based on how much you weight (actual lbm) so some people it will go quicker than others.

Ash, a protein/carb meal is recommended for the meal after Surge (depending on your goal). While it may be ideal to use Surge again, no one really recommends that. Solid food is what most suggest. Half a Surge before training and half a serving after works best for me, followed 45 min to an hour later by a P + C meal.

I hear what you’re saying but i’m just reiterating what Berardi says in his “Solving the Post Workout Puzzle” article:

"But since strength athletes don’t deplete their glycogen stores as badly as endurance athletes, they would need fewer total calories. With this said, I believe it’s reasonable to suggest that a strength athlete consume one meal of 0.8g of carbohydrate and 0.4 g of protein / kg of body weight immediately after training.

This means that the 154 lb weight lifter would need 56 g of carbs and 28 g of protein while the 220 lb weight lifter would need about 80 g of carbs and 40 g of protein after a weight-training workout. Since glycogen synthesis rates are so high in strength athletes, they would only need to consume this type of meal immediately after the workout and then resume normal eating about 2-3 hours later.

If the strength athlete is in a bulking cycle, the post-workout recommendations would include 2 servings of recommended formula, one immediately after training and one 30-60 minutes later. Normal eating could be resumed 2-3 hours later. "

hey jbraswell, where did you get malto? was it online or somewhere in gainesville?
i’m a horrifically poor college student, and not considering surge just yet.
also, do you box at a gym in gaiensville? where
thanks

SRS, I did the exact same thing. Nate Diggity or Bras, hook a brother up. Where’s the deal at?

Hmmm…lost a post in there somehow.

That is strange, SRS. Mine’s a blue container of Mountain Blast. Guess I need to check the labels before I buy any more Powerade flavors, which is kind of stupid.

I get my Surge for $25 a tub. The benefits of working at a valley supplement store. This works out to just $2.50 per 2 scoops or workout, although sometimes I do 2.5 or 3 scoops. I don’t think I could do it cheaper by buying all the ingredients.

OK here’s one for the Aussies. As Surge can’t be found in Oz i make my own from locally found ingredients.

Check out www.myopure.com.au, i buy the whey hydrosylates, malto and dextrose all from here at very good prices. Just get a kilo of each and mix and you have 3 kilos of pre/post workout drink for about $AUS42. I also add some lecithin to reduce the foaming and some creatine. And regardless of what others have said about the hydrolysed whey it doesn’t taste that bad with all the other ingredients. I’ve come to quite enjoy mine.

The best deal on Surge (and other Biotest stuff) and Relentess is vitaplus.

Sign up for the mailing list and you can always get 15% off your orders. This brings Surge down to less than $28 per bottle with shipping.

They will match and/or beat all other competitors on Biotest products, although, I have only used vitaplus for Surge because I’ve found other places (dpsnutrition and musclemagnepa) that sell Biotest for less (even if you use the 15% off, and I didn’t feel like asking them to price compare).

Also, I switch off between Surge and Relentless (by Xtremeformulations). Those are the only two post-workout shakes I trust and have used.

For Ash (and other Canadians),

Take a look at sndcanada for Surge (and other Biotest products). Decent prices, I believe Surge is ~$50 CDN.

I checked out sndcanada and ordered some surge. I have a question to surge users, how do you take it? Do you follow the label or do you do follow your own thing? Do you take one postworkout shake immediately after then another 30-60mins after that or just the one only? Do you mix the suggested serving according to your bodyweight?

Just read the directions and follow them. They’re on there for a reason.

I take two scoops (one serving) immediately following my workout. This is based on me being less than 200lbs (per label recommendations). My next meal is usually protein and carbs (whole food).

I tried dividing my post-workout shake into one serving during (one scoop) my workout and another scoop after. But this made me feel too full or gave me cramps while trying to train (Renegade Training has me moving quickly from exercise to exercises with little rest).

So I’ve stuck to a full serving after my workout. That works best for me.

thanks. The only reason i asked doc sometimes whats on the label doesn’t neccearrily mean everyone follows it. Just because people do things differntly doesnt mean its wrong dude. I justed wanted feedback with what worked best for other people.

What works best for me is 2 scoops in a shaker of 30 oz. of water prepared prior to heavy lifting (I weigh 190). I sip a total of half of it during my workout, and drink the remaining half immediately after I am finished lifting. If I am especially thirsty during a workout, I will alternate Surge sips with plain old water. I find the Surge during workouts helps keep me fresher and stronger throughout.

For me, I use a scoop of Gatorade powder with about 10 grams of creatine, 5 grams of glutamine, some Ribose, a little electrolyte mix and 3 caps of BCAA’s and 300mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid.

If Surge is not available I use the same drink post workout. However, with Surge, I just throw in two scoops of that along with 10 grams of creatine and another 300mg capsule of Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Either which way appears to work really well for me.

Try .net, not .com

What do you guys think of Grape juice and whey postworkout and preworkout?

I’m gonna get some Surge when I get the money, until then I think i’m going grape juice and whey…