Post workout Drink

This is probably a stupid question but I was wondering if I should still take a large portion of simple carbs like dextrose or glucose after I workout or could I take less. I workout really late around 8pm and wouldnt take the drink until 9pm. I usually try to keep from eating carbs after 6pm. I probably know the answer im going to get but I want to make sure anyways.

Post-exercise is the time period for simple carb intake even if it is at 9pm. I’ve been doing this for months now with no ill effects. Berardi has also said the same thing.

Surge. Have you heard about it?

Post workout, no matter what time of day, is THE optimal time to ingest simple carbs. Don’t sweat that you’re taking then in soon before bed; your body needs them more then at any other time. If I don’t “carb-up” post workout and ingest a LOT of protein right away, my lifts can literally cripple me the next day.

Personally, if I were bulking I would go ahead and ingest the simple carbs and protein.

Yea I use surge and Cell-Tech mixed with protein as my post workout. I only use cell-tech since i get it for free at the GNC I work at. What would be the right amount of dex or gluc to take for a 185 lb 11% bf male for post I usualy go for 50 grams.

read the damn website. they have said many times that you shouldnt mix anything except plain powdered creatine with surge. damn.

Screw you goldie I dont mix them.

Cell-Tech and protien together is a wrong mix… You should never mix Creatine and Protien together… Always take them an 1hour to 1/2hour between the two… Who told to mix protien and creatine together???

There is nothing about the evening that makes carbohydrates consumed after that time magically alter the laws of thermodynamics.

“Yea I use surge and Cell-Tech mixed with protein as my post workout. I only use cell-tech since i get it for free at the GNC I work at. What would be the right amount of dex or gluc to take for a 185 lb 11% bf male for post I usualy go for 50 grams.” is that not what you said. i know it is because i cut and pasted it. does that not sound like you mix the two together?

Knowone ever told me to mix them together but knowone told me not too so I thought mixing them would be fine. Also since there is creatine in steak would that mean that its not absorbed either since there is protein in steak?

Guys, what’s with all the flames? Hell, I love to flame morons that defend 45 lb squat-rack curls or dumbasses that ask questions without at least reading a couple of articles first (like “I need a good hardcore toning workout”), but this guy’s asking a serious question about post-exercise nutrition. And this question does not have a universal answer (and the accepted answer WILL be different five years from now). I also train around 8 PM; my post-workout drink consists of simple and complex carbs (about 50 g), creatine and protein (whey), which I drink about 30 minutes following my last rep. I eat a P + C meal about an hour later (keep these carbs complex). If I’m still up, I’ll eat a P (cottage cheese) + F (flax oil) meal right before bed.

Who told me to mix creatine and protein? I guess God did, as the primary source of protein in nature is red meat. Also, it’s not the time of day of carb consumption that’s the problem; rather, it’s the proximity of this intake to bedtime that’s the issue. I don’t think this is an issue with post-training nutrition (hasn’t bothered me yet). Of course, a large plate of pasta right before bed on non-training days probably wouldn’t promote a lean physique.

I think 50gm is about right, in fact I have an almost identical postwork out nutrition stategy as you Mark R. I also put glut. peptide in my shake though. Adding your creatine to your postwork out shake is the best time to take it as the carb+whey combo really drives up insulin and transports the creatine to muscle cells. This is neccsary if you use plain creatine without any trnsport systems (i.e. ALA, or whatever). That my 2 cents on the issue.

Not mixing creatine and protein is the silliest thing that I’ve ever heard, especially since it came from someone who spelled it “protien.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t John Berardi stated that the only thing to add to Surge is creatine?

I had a typo in my last post. It was supposed to read: Who told me to mix creatine and protein? I guess God did, as the primary source of CREATINE in nature is red meat.

I also put 5 g of glutamine peptide in my post-workout drink.

Surge contains “25 grams of real whey-protein hydrolysate and 11.25 grams of a very expensive amino-acid blend, primarily from the BCAAs”. It also contains “25 grams of d-glucose and 25 grams of maltodextrin”. That’s 25 g protein and 50 g carbs. And, as far as the articles on the site, they’re great learning tools, but they are not gospel. Everyone has to research what works for them.

The chemical make up is diffrent from protien food and a protien drinks are diffrent so is the chemical make of creatine and and creatine is food is diffrent you have to remember the powder creatine and Protien are man made and chemical wise its diffrent from solid food. At least this is what I heard from a chemist/bodybuilder. I hope Bill Roberts or someone that is a chemist can clarify this I just know that protien powder and creatine powder should not be mixed. please correct me if I am wrong. thanks