T Nation

Post-Workout Drink and BCAAs

Hi,

Just 2 things that I read around that I would really like to ask.

1. Post workout drink. Let’s say my work out starts at 6pm and ends at roughly 8pm, is it still alright to have a post workout drink? Since I have read around that is it not recommended to have carbohydrates close to my sleep and if I am not wrong, post workout drink contains quite an amount of it.

2. BCAAs. I have also read around that L-leucine, L-valine and L-isoleucine should have a ratio of 2:2:1 respectively for it to have a optimum effect on the body, but most of the time reading the product information of the BCAAs supplements like that one in the T-Nation store, it’s closer to 2:1:1 than 2:2:1, is there any explanation that they “don’t give enough” L-valine? Is it because L-valine is easier to have from food than the other 2?

Just some questions I have from reading around, hopefully y’all can tell me more about it. Thanks.

You dont need carbs in a post workout drink. Id actually recommend against that, regardless of when you lift. Have the (simple) carbs before and during the workout.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
You dont need carbs in a post workout drink. Id actually recommend against that, regardless of when you lift. Have the (simple) carbs before and during the workout. [/quote]

edit:oops, didn’t mean to post here, my computer glitched. sorry!

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
You dont need carbs in a post workout drink. Id actually recommend against that, regardless of when you lift. Have the (simple) carbs before and during the workout. [/quote]

Carbs peri-workout are important.

Personally I get them before and after, regardless of what time of day I manage to squeeze my lifting into.

Oh 0k thanks a lot for the replies, what about the BCAAs? A little confused about that.

[quote]Sofaking wrote:
2. BCAAs. I have also read around that L-leucine, L-valine and L-isoleucine should have a ratio of 2:2:1 respectively for it to have a optimum effect on the body, but most of the time reading the product information of the BCAAs supplements like that one in the T-Nation store, it’s closer to 2:1:1 than 2:2:1, is there any explanation that they “don’t give enough” L-valine? [/quote]

Yes. There’s a reason for everything. This time the reason is that Ziegenfuss apparently disagrees with you.

And it seems like you’re majoring in the minors.