Post Workout Carbs: How Much?

Hello everyone!
I would like some advice about post workout nutrition, carbs especially. I was wondering if there’s any guideline, with the aim of glycogen restoration and recovery for next day’s session.
I am 172 cm tall and weigh 65 kilos, and as I’ve said in other threads, I’m a rock climber, a boulderer specifically.
So, my usual session is quite intense and short, probably around one hour of bouldering on a steep board, intense efforts and good rests in between.
I usually end up with some kind of finisher, from barbell complexes, to loaded carries, to hill sprints, to dumbbell complexes, and the likes.
If I’m short on time I just warm up and do a high intensity finisher.

How much carbs should I get after this kind of sessions to maximize recovery and maintain my current level of body fat?
I train in the late evening, so I get to have dinner very soon after finishing.
Thanks as usual for your replies.

Ass backward. TC wrote about the decline of post work out nutrition. Look it up.

Plazma is your new friend.

I personally still think post workout carbs is the way to go. I don’t feel well with pre & intra and doing fine in terms of recovery.

First of all i don’t follow any numbers. I don’t see much difference after 150 gr of carbs post workout , in terms of recovery, so mine is around 120-150 grams after a hard workout. I’ll have around 100-120 a few hours before as well and sit around 300 ish

[quote]JFG wrote:
Ass backward. TC wrote about the decline of post work out nutrition. Look it up.

Plazma is your new friend.
[/quote]
Hey JFG, I read that article and found it brilliant!
Still, I think that I shouldn’t cut off carbs from my dinner or post workout snack, hence my question. Moreover, I haven’t looked it up specifically, but I don’t think I can get Plazma here in Italy, if not with high shipping costs. But I’ll have another look. Cheers.

[quote]outlaws wrote:
I personally still think post workout carbs is the way to go. I don’t feel well with pre & intra and doing fine in terms of recovery.

First of all i don’t follow any numbers. I don’t see much difference after 150 gr of carbs post workout , in terms of recovery, so mine is around 120-150 grams after a hard workout. I’ll have around 100-120 a few hours before as well and sit around 300 ish[/quote]
Cheers outlaws, 100 grams seems quite a lot for me, how much do you weigh?

On the other hand, whenever I manage to pay attention at my intra especially, I see a big difference in my training sessions. I last for longer and have more available attempts on my projects. In these cases finger strength is usually the limiting factor, but then I can finish with a couple of sets of front levers or ab-rolls and I’m ready for bed…l

A couple bananas/cup of rice/ half plate of pasta should suffice.

You should be able to get supps containing karbolyn or cyclic dextrin in Europe -not quite as excellent as Plazma but similar ingredient and still very good.

One way of looking at it – besides comparing personal results, which is the best way – is this:

Although post-exercise nutrient absorption by muscle is improved over the resting state, by far the the time at which nutrients are even faster absorbed by muscle, and essentially totally preferentially absorbed by muscle over fat, is during exercise.

So if burning say 500 calories or more in a workout, how can it be optimal to have shortly-pre and during working nutrition be far short of this? Instead of going into the positive as is entirely possible, muscles are needlessly going into the negative for nutrients during the workout.

If there’s a big need for carbs post workout then that means depletion occurred during the workout. Can progress result? Of course at least up to some point. But that point is higher with better workout nutrition.

How would you define pre workout timing, as in minutes before starting lifting Bill?

And gr of carbs for an average male trying to put on quality weight?

I personally think the carbs you eat 2-4 hours prior to lifting are going to have the most dramatic effect on your workout, even more so than immediately pre, intra or post. That said I use surge WO fuel from this website with peptopro intraworkout and I notice a difference in my ability to handle marathon lifting sessions. I plan on moving to plasma with my next order.

tldr:
I have never not been disappointed with spending a significant portion of my daily carbs on postworkout. eating 200+ carbs a few hours before training is my personal priority when timing carbs

PSA: I eat 400-600+ carbs a day depending on how many hours I’m working during the week. And my diet is not low fat.

Very interesting replies guys, thank you very much.
I’ve noticed the difference when focusing on pre and especially intra workout nutrition.
Last Sunday I managed a two and half hours long bouldering session with some friends, maintaining a good power throughout the whole session. Fingers eventually gave up.
I kept drinking a protein shake, and ate a spoonful of yoghurt with honey during every break and that really made the difference. The following day I wasn’t as sore as I would have expected.
It would be nice to find good supplements here in Italy apart from the usual BCAA and proteins.
Must research.

If you are in Europe and don’t have access to Plazma you can still find peptopro

Pre workout with caffeine glutamine, citruline and the likes on an empty stomach are pretty nuts + bcaa/creatine or peptopro creatine during the workout

Well I never drink coffee so especially getting caffeine pre workout puts me in the zone. I guess the other components are good. Not quite as optimal as sugars anyway, but good

[quote]outlaws wrote:
How would you define pre workout timing, as in minutes before starting lifting Bill?

And gr of carbs for an average male trying to put on quality weight?[/quote]
Outlaws, apologies for the slow reply, I somehow missed your post at the time.

With regard to nutrient intake, I see preworkout as being up to 30 minutes before the workout; for me about 15-20 minutes is best.

For total workout carb intake, pre and during, I recommend at least about 75 g, with usually no need to go greatly past 100 g. However if after the workout due to the volume of work it still feels that a lot of post workout carbs are needed and needed fast, then the workout carbs could be more.